Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Used hybrid - what to think of?

testbil

Toyota hybrids have been my choice of transportation since 2013, I had few of them latest models for the time being., Prius, Prius plus and Auris as company cars, then since 2015 Auris hybrid 2010 model as my own car. I start using the car for work since 2018 and clocked in over 100k trouble free miles, I couldn’t agree more with the people they said how good these cars are👍 So far I had no problems with the car over 160k miles, only been in Toyota garage for recall work, MOT and wheel alignment once a year, I do service the car myself every two months as I drive a bit more than usual. So far the car is on its original everything, only parts that I ever changed were brakes and wheel bearings as those get worn out because of moisture and water that causes rust problems in Uk, otherwise would probably been it’s original one too. I like the car and I can highly recommend. As long as you look after it should be a good reliable car. If you buying a Toyota should be a hybrid.  

15 hours ago, Auris James said:

What don't you like about your Corolla over the Auris? Is it BHP. Corolla 122hp Auris 136bhp. Or something else. Corolla all you need really is Icon Tech or Design trim.

To buy a Corolla I would be looking at an extra 13k extra over the Auris. Some things like park assist/ Lane assist I wouldn't use. I would use Adaptive Cruise. Over the BHP difference probably go with the 2 litre version.

I would have Scarlett Flare or Denim Blue.

James.

Yes wish I had gone for design as I have said in previous posts as I don’t think the excel is worth the extra for what you get.

can’t think why the bhp on the 1.8 is less than the auris as it’s the same engine or is it down to the electric motor? I miss the dual level deck board in the boot also no option for a space saver spare wheel unless you want to pay £1000 plus to have the boot modified also there seemed to be more room in the rear on the auris but I guess this is  down to the fact that Toyota has tried to make the corolla look more sporty by lowering the roofline. Might change it next year for the 2.0 Design T/S if I can persuade the missus 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Auris James said:

Believe UK trim spec for Auris was:

Icon. Icon Plus.  Business edition, Design and top Spec Excel.

No issues with the car other than AC condenser replaced. Passed it's hybrid test a few weeks ago when serviced at Toyota dealer. 

James👍

Thanks, will try to find out if that applies to Sweden. 

Good to hear! 

Jonas,

I was quoted a yearly car service cost of 5000sek/500Euro for hybrid Auris by a dealer near Stockholm and that put me off the hybrid auris. We bought the non hybrid 1.2 turbo Auris 2016 model, that can be serviced by any one not just Toyota. It may be cheaper where you live. We are very happy with the car. I changed the engine oil by myself just to be sure and rust proofed it too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rajivrattna said:

Jonas,

I was quoted a yearly car service cost of 5000sek/500Euro for hybrid Auris by a dealer near Stockholm and that put me off the hybrid auris. We bought the non hybrid 1.2 turbo Auris 2016 model, that can be serviced by any one not just Toyota. It may be cheaper where you live. We are very happy with the car. I changed the engine oil by myself just to be sure and rust proofed it too.

How much was the Toyota dealer charging to service the Auris 1.2 turbo petrol?????

Toyota 1.8 hybrid is an easy service car, no need anything extra or special tools other than standard petrol Toyota needs.  Battery health check is only measuring the voltage of the cells, something that every owner can do with suitable obd 2 reader and app on the phone. Engine oil, filters all the usual stuff is same as non hybrid car. £500 is I believe a package of 3 years service in Uk

A three year service plan would be more than £500.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

A three year service plan would be more than £500.

£600 perhaps, I remember something around these numbers before as offer from Toyota if you buy the package when purchased  the car from them. , not sure though as I never went ahead taking it. 👍

11 hours ago, Catlover said:

How much was the Toyota dealer charging to service the Auris 1.2 turbo petrol?????

My Toyota Aygo had alternating large and medium service every alternate years. The big service was about 380 euros and little service (just oil and filter change mostly) was 250 euros. That was a few years ago untill I decided to do them myself. Auris 1.2 T has not been for the service yet.

13 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

Jonas,

I live in Stockholm so probably not. But i'll look into that! 

What do you guys think, should i buy a hybrid auris with low mileage (5-8000km) from 2013-2014 or one from 2015 with more mileage (10-13000km) but also PCS? 

PCS?

Both are low mileage, but the 2013-14 car would have only covered around 1,000km per year. With both you need to check the condition and service histories as with such low mileages they may not have been serviced according to schedule - Toyota service intervals are 12 months or 9,500km, whichever occurs first.

• Like 1

Jonas, does 'low mileage (5-8000km) from 2013-2014' mean low annual mileage i.e. 35,000km to 56,000km?

• Like 2

I could not get the mileage numbers too. 10-20k difference it’s almost nothing but I will prefer to get later model to avoid having issues with front lights and in general some improvements over the 13 model. Catalytic converter protection is at most for what to think of even though you live outside Uk you never know what’s popular here may gets popular there too. 👍

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

PCS?

Both are low mileage, but the 2013-14 car would have only covered around 1,000km per year. With both you need to check the condition and service histories as with such low mileages they may not have been serviced according to schedule - Toyota service intervals are 12 months or 9,500km, whichever occurs first.

PCS=Pre-Collision System! 

Sorry, i meant 5-80 000 km.. 

So should i chose a 2013-14 auris hybrid from Toyota with warranty with low mileage (5-80 000km) from 2013-2014 or one from 2015 with more mileage (10-130 000km) but also with Pre-Collision System(PCS)? 🙂

1 hour ago, Corolla2004 said:

Jonas, does 'low mileage (5-8000km) from 2013-2014' mean low annual mileage i.e. 35,000km to 56,000km?

A typo from my part, i meant 5-80 000km/10-130 000km!  

So should i go for the older model (2013) with low mileage (5-80 000km) or a newer (2015) with more mileage (10-130 000km) to get a newer car with pre-collision system? 

Jonas,

If you want Precollision system, autoheadlights, cruise control, lane assist then go for late 2015 model or model after 2015. Our Auris is a late (nov 2015 ) model that had done 60000km or 6000 swedish miles and has all those features. If you get a higher model with  LED head lights and adaptive cruise control all the more better.

46 minutes ago, rajivrattna said:

Jonas,

If you want Precollision system, autoheadlights, cruise control, lane assist then go for late 2015 model or model after 2015. Our Auris is a late (nov 2015 ) model that had done 60000km or 6000 swedish miles and has all those features. If you get a higher model with  LED head lights and adaptive cruise control all the more better.

Thanks! I think i'll do that if i can find one for the right price and with a reasonable mileage. 

If you look at Prius chat forum in US look at generation 3 section, it's full of high miles users who repair their own cars so you can get a feel of what maintenance is needed. The main dealer only does the minimum. They recommend 5000 mile oil changes and also there's a redesign of pistos and rings around 2015 to reduce problem with oil burning. It's also necessary to clean out egr cooler when mileage gets towards 100k. Most problems though seem to happen after very high mileage so a low miles car is good for many years 

• Like 1

Just now, Saxmaniac said:

If you look at Prius chat forum in US look at generation 3 section, it's full of high miles users who repair their own cars so you can get a feel of what maintenance is needed. The main dealer only does the minimum. They recommend 5000 mile oil changes and also there's a redesign of pistos and rings around 2015 to reduce problem with oil burning. It's also necessary to clean out egr cooler when mileage gets towards 100k. Most problems though seem to happen after very high mileage so a low miles car is good for many years 

Ok thank you. If serviced at Toyota would they have changed oil? 

When you say 100k is that 100 000 miles? 

They will change oil, but specify 10000 miles between changes. I'm playing safe with mine and doing extra oil change at 5000 miles (yes 100k is lazy talk for 100000 miles!)

I suppose that if you aim to keep the car for 5 years then sell it on, dealer maintenance is fine, but I always try to keep things as long as possible and get the maximum life so tend to do extra maintenance 

3 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

Presume when you say THEY recommend 5000 mile oil changes you mean the American owners that repair their own cars.  As the combustion engine is not revolving for about 50% of the time that means an oil change every 2,500 miles.  I personally think thatchange at 2500 miles is excessive.  I am thinking on the basis that 10.000 miles is excessive as thats only 5,000 miles engine running, br the top.ut I can go along with that, as I do think quality oil and definately quality filter at regular intervals is a must for longevity of engine. But 5000 (2500)..... mmmm   

That’s right, oil burners are usually the cars that had been neglected by the owners who skip oil service and or use 5w30 or lower grade oils and not the specifically recommended 0w20. 10k miles or 12 months it’s absolutely normal for these cars, in US might be different due to the difference in climate, temperature etc. It is also important how the car been used from the beginning, all cars need some easy time when brand new, if they been trashed instead oil burning comes as a result. , but this almost impossible to be sure while you choosing the car., watch for dirty marks on the oil dip stick end, this will indicate missed or skip service intervals., and gunks deposits builds up inside the engine. 

On 12/18/2020 at 9:55 AM, Saxmaniac said:

They will change oil, but specify 10000 miles between changes. I'm playing safe with mine and doing extra oil change at 5000 miles (yes 100k is lazy talk for 100000 miles!)

I suppose that if you aim to keep the car for 5 years then sell it on, dealer maintenance is fine, but I always try to keep things as long as possible and get the maximum life so tend to do extra maintenance 

Ok, sounds like a good idea! 

On 12/18/2020 at 2:29 PM, TonyHSD said:

That’s right, oil burners are usually the cars that had been neglected by the owners who skip oil service and or use 5w30 or lower grade oils and not the specifically recommended 0w20. 10k miles or 12 months it’s absolutely normal for these cars, in US might be different due to the difference in climate, temperature etc. It is also important how the car been used from the beginning, all cars need some easy time when brand new, if they been trashed instead oil burning comes as a result. , but this almost impossible to be sure while you choosing the car., watch for dirty marks on the oil dip stick end, this will indicate missed or skip service intervals., and gunks deposits builds up inside the engine. 

I will buy from a Toyota dealer with their used car guarantee so they should be serviced within the right intervals 🙂 

• Thanks 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links