Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Chill UK Highway Driving with Corolla Touring Sports & Openpilot v0.8.0

mrjoeblack

thumbnail.thumb.png.809debc8a33bc4821e665b39736f5866.png

Watch my experience here 👉 https://youtu.be/fnPHXPGDawA 👈

Let me know what you think 😃

In my opinion, Openpilot does so much better than the stock TSS 2.0 system that I'll never regret replacing it. It literally makes highway driving so very chill.

Plus, it has a lot of potentials and will only get better over time. It's like early day Android vs. Nokia Symbian 😉

Previous discussion thread at

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are two more videos with me using Openpilot on a trip between London and Canterbury via A2 and M2.

Silly me! I didn't realize this forum directly embeds Youtube videos ...

So here are the earlier two videos I did ICYI.

• 3 weeks later...

Really interesting. How does openpilot interface with the car? Is it a truly hands off experience?

Also your videos made it look like the braking is sometimes very hard and sharp. What kind of mpg does openpilot return? Which corolla do u have?

• 3 weeks later...

I just made a new video and the first half covered some of these questions.

I would say it is mostly hand-free and foot-free on highways already. I probably only need to intervene once or twice in a one-hour trip.

On braking - I'm not sure if you were referring to when it's on city roads, as on highways I actually find it brakes more smoothly than I do!
And btw you can tell if it was me or openpilot driving from the color of the surrounding box - it's blue if it's me, and it turns green when openpilot is engaged.

MPG does seem like a price you'll pay by using openpilot. I noticed even constant-speed cruising will use both the engine and Battery while on openpilot. I'll probably do another video on this in the future. From my experience it's about 45-50 mpg on highways.

My car is a Corolla Touring Sports Hybrid 1.8. Let me know if you have other questions.

• 1 year later...

Hi! Your posts are really impressive!

I think Toyota Corolla Touring is not in the compatible vehicles list of comma ai website.
So how dose comma recognize Toyota Corolla Touring?
Is it recognized as Toyota Corolla? or Toyota Corolla hatchback?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links