Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris air con concern

Luis Volcan

Does any one is having problem with the air conditioning  on the all new Yaris 2020? Basically the air conditioning doesn’t blow cold air between 16 to 19 degrees set up.
Also the heating  is above 10 degrees higher then the one that have been set up. Please test your new Yaris air conditioning the cold air & heat and let me know if your are having the same problem. 

Air con doesn't usually blow cold if the outside temperature is around 4 degrees or less. What are the outside temperatures where you are?

• Like 1

I have done several test. On auto, on manual, engine cold, engine warm, motorway and the different between the set up temperature and the real temperature is above 10 degrees. 3 investigation have been done a 4 th one is booked  for next week. The way the air con is behaving is very weird. Didn’t happen on my previous hybrid. 

You have it set to 16C and the vent temperature is 25C. That is not enough information.

That could be (and at face value sounds) normal depending on the ambient temperature inside the cabin. If the interior is at say 10C then you need hot air to bring it all up to 16C. If it were parked in the sun in summer and the ambient temperature in the cabin was at around 35C then you would then expect the vent temperature to be cold at say 8C.

• Like 1

First thing I noticed about the picture, is that the system isn't in auto.

It should be in auto when you set a temperature.

Mick.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Mooly said:

You have it set to 16C and the vent temperature is 25C. That is not enough information.

That could be (and at face value sounds) normal depending on the ambient temperature inside the cabin. If the interior is at say 10C then you need hot air to bring it all up to 16C. If it were parked in the sun in summer and the ambient temperature in the cabin was at around 35C then you would then expect the vent temperature to be cold at say 8C.

Exactly that does not happen in my car and on the picture is in manual so it shouldn’t be blowing warm air with 16C set up.

29 minutes ago, Mooly said:

That’s just one of the pictures. I got 20 more with the thermometer in the middle of the car, at the back seat, at the front  in auto in manual, outside circulation, inside circulation. on 16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24 set up’s temperature. Still not right. No one believe me that my air con is behaving weird. 

51 minutes ago, Mick F said:

First thing I noticed about the picture, is that the system isn't in auto.

It should be in auto when you set a temperature.

Mick.

If  the a/c is on in manual on 16,17,18C shouldn’t be blowing warm air. The way my aire con is working never happens to me in my previous Toyota. Corolla patrol and  Yaris patrol & hybrid. 

Yes it should.

How are you going to get the internal temperature UP to 16degC when it's 8degC outside?

The system will run hotter until the internal temp is as per what you've set it to.  When it gets there, it'll maintain it, but meanwhile it's trying to warm you up.

Mick.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Yes it should.

How are you going to get the internal temperature UP to 16degC when it's 8degC outside?

The system will run hotter until the internal temp is as per what you've set it to.  When it gets there, it'll maintain it, but meanwhile it's trying to warm you up.

Mick.

Agreed on auto the system  control the  temperature not in manual

21 minutes ago, Luis Volcan said:

At the moment right now is on manual,  a/c on internal circulation, 17c, internal cabin temperature thermometer at the back seat is 28.2C. outside temperature 6C. Engine warm. 1 person inside the car. On auto works slightly better but still about 7 C different form the set up. Toyota tested others Yaris and said that after One hour on auto the car reach the temperature they were expecting.  So  for them it’s  how should work. Hard to believe. I got the email from Toyota relation. 

39 minutes ago, Luis Volcan said:

Wrong.

The temp control is thermostatic.  Set it warmer than outside and you'll get warmer air than what is set until - and only until - the internal temp is correct.

The Auto system is for the air distribution, not the aircon itself.

Best is to leave it all on Auto and set the temp you want, and forget it.  We vary ours a bit as when it's sunny the heat from the sun warms you up through the glass so you want a cooler temp out of the vents.

If it's not correct or working right, take the car back to Toyota and they'll test it.

Mick.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Wrong.

The temp control is thermostatic.  Set it warmer than outside and you'll get warmer air than what is set until - and only until - the internal temp is correct.

Best is to leave it all on Auto and set the temp you want, and forget it.  We vary ours a bit as when it's sunny the heat from the sun warms you up through the glass so you want a cooler temp out of the vents.

If it's not correct or working right, take the car back to Toyota and they'll test it.

Mick.

Agreed. But the problem is that the internal temperature is 10c above from the one set up. I got a appointment for next week anyway. I’m just wondering if any body is experienced the same as me. 

35 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Wrong.

Mick.

That never happened to me before that I have to leave the air con in auto. The manual owner  offers me two options manual and Auto I can choose my preferred option. I’m sporty person if I go for a run and want get in the car and turn on the air con with fresh air according to the manual owner I have that option. 

1 hour ago, Luis Volcan said:

Agreed. But the problem is that the internal temperature is 10c above from the one set up. I got a appointment for next week anyway. I’m just wondering if any body is experienced the same as me. 

10degC above what has been set all the time?  Permanently? ............................ If so, Mr Toyota needs a visit straight away.

To be honest, I've never checked the internal temp compared to what's set.  I have a Garmin Montana and a Tempe module that is bluetooth connected to the Montana, so I could see what the internal - and the vents - temp actually is.

I reckon it would take at least an hour's drive to get some sort of valid info or proof.  We rarely drive more than half an hour at a time, so I'm not sure how valid the experiment would be, but it could be interesting nonetheless.  I've got to be out soon to collect Mrs Mick F, so I could try it, but she's only a couple of miles away.

Mick.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mick F said:

10degC above what has been set all the time?  Permanently? ............................ If so, Mr Toyota needs a visit straight away.

To be honest, I've never checked the internal temp compared to what's set.  I have a Garmin Montana and a Tempe module that is bluetooth connected to the Montana, so I could see what the internal - and the vents - temp actually is.

I reckon it would take at least an hour's drive to get some sort of valid info or proof.  We rarely drive more than half an hour at a time, so I'm not sure how valid the experiment would be, but it could be interesting nonetheless.  I've got to be out soon to collect Mrs Mick F, so I could try it, but she's only a couple of miles away.

Mick.

41 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Mick.

Yes all the time. the longest test I have done was for about 50 minutes. The closest I got was 6C above on auto. On Manuel never dropped. 
 I never did before in my 20 years driving. But It was so warm inside the car and I said this can not be right. Another fact is when the car engine is cold the air con blow cold air  when is set up on 16,17,18C. The problem is when the engine is warm. A soonest I move the car the air con started blowing warm air. Thank you for answering back. We will see what happen. Maybe because is cold out side people just want warm air and they don’t realise. I would like to see over the summer. 

Hi, the behaviour of your car is absolutely normal and there is nothing to worry here. The only difference between auto and manual is whether the car will use AC or not at all, and perhaps the fan speeds, other than that the car heating air conditioning system is fully automated in terms of temperature management. If you want to test this system you may be able to do so only for warm air at the moment since outside air temp is low the AC may well not work at its full power. The blowing air temp does not need to match the set temperature of the climate control even though should always be different. When you test the system you should do separately for hot and cold air flow, what you have showed on pictures is mixture of both, something that will give you wrong results and expectations. You will need outside air temp over 15C° to test properly if air con works properly and blows enough cold air from the vents. If you turn off ac now, switch air circulation to sucks air from outside and not recirculation , choose your desired temp, and you can do test of the air temp inside the cabin but the readings from the air flow of the vent will always be different, as already mentioned. There is no need of air conditioning in winter unless you want fast windows demise, if you wait a bit longer all that can be achieved only with heating and its even better for the car. 

Out earlier with my Montana and the Temp slotted into the top vents.

Here's a graph of the drive.  Only 1.7miles, and the Garmin and Temp were acclimatised in the car before recording.

Outside temp (according to the car) was 8degC.  Set the aircon In Auto to 16degC and later turned it up to 20degC.  You can see the step, but the vent never made it to 20 by the time I picked Mrs Mick F up.

The line in faint, is the elevation graph, but that's not important here.

Mick.

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 16.18.42.png

If you have it in manual mode what is the fan speed set to ? Unless you have airflow the system may not keep the cabin at a set temp, the first port of call would be to check the cabin filter

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

If you have it in manual mode what is the fan speed set to ? Unless you have airflow the system may not keep the cabin at a set temp, the first port of call would be to check the cabin filter

Fan speed 3. Brand new Yaris. That is exactly my point if is in manual and you want fresh air you set the temperature around 18 even 19C. But in my car when the engine is warm the air con never blows fresh air only if you put on lowest level and then go to 4.5C which is too cold. Something weird is happening will see next week. 

5 hours ago, Mick F said:

Out earlier with my Montana and the Temp slotted into the top vents.

Here's a graph of the drive.  Only 1.7miles, and the Garmin and Temp were acclimatised in the car before recording.

Outside temp (according to the car) was 8degC.  Set the aircon In Auto to 16degC and later turned it up to 20degC.  You can see the step, but the vent never made it to 20 by the time I picked Mrs Mick F up.

The line in faint, is the elevation graph, but that's not important here.

Mick.

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 16.18.42.png

Thank you for taking your time and do the test. My car doesn’t do that at all. Actually I’m not expecting to reach the exact temperature but at least something that make sense. 

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, the behaviour of your car is absolutely normal and there is nothing to worry here. The only difference between auto and manual is whether the car will use AC or not at all, and perhaps the fan speeds, other than that the car heating air conditioning system is fully automated in terms of temperature management. If you want to test this system you may be able to do so only for warm air at the moment since outside air temp is low the AC may well not work at its full power. The blowing air temp does not need to match the set temperature of the climate control even though should always be different. When you test the system you should do separately for hot and cold air flow, what you have showed on pictures is mixture of both, something that will give you wrong results and expectations. You will need outside air temp over 15C° to test properly if air con works properly and blows enough cold air from the vents. If you turn off ac now, switch air circulation to sucks air from outside and not recirculation , choose your desired temp, and you can do test of the air temp inside the cabin but the readings from the air flow of the vent will always be different, as already mentioned. There is no need of air conditioning in winter unless you want fast windows demise, if you wait a bit longer all that can be achieved only with heating and its even better for the car. 

I’m sorry in my opinion is not normal. I never ever have to put the air temperature in 17C. On any of my previous Toyota specially in cold weather. That was only one of the 20 pictures. I have done several tests. I’m not expecting the exact temperature at all. I know that will never happen. If I set up the heat on 20 C. After 5 minutes I won’t be able to stay in the car. I don’t t think any body with this weather  temperature have to set up the air con on 17 C to be able to stay in the car. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links