Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris air con concern

Luis Volcan

Does anyone have a update on how they got on with Toyota. My dealership are lovely but after having the car for over a month Toyota GB are now saying that it is behaving as it should. I'm waiting to hear back but I'm not thinking that driving around at 16/17 degrees in winter is good for fuel economy to keep the car cool.

This definitely doesn't match - behaving as it should. 

On 12/11/2020 at 12:04 PM, Luis Volcan said:

Does any one is having problem with the air conditioning  on the all new Yaris 2020? Basically the air conditioning doesn’t blow cold air between 16 to 19 degrees set up.
Also the heating  is above 10 degrees higher then the one that have been set up. Please test your new Yaris air conditioning the cold air & heat and let me know if your are having the same problem. 

Attached video to support my concern 

3 minutes ago, Luis Volcan said:

Attached video to support my concern 

Hi,

air conditioning on cars does NOT work at all when outside air temperature is below 4C°, you can not judge correctly by switching ON air con because even with green light ON the actual air compressor it’s not operative since in low temperatures there is a risk of freezing and damage to the compressor components. Plus outside air is at lower temp that air con will produce, wait until outside air temp gets around 15C° and then you can test it properly. At lowest setting should be around 4C° air flow from the middle vents. Now when cold no need to use air con at all, just set your prefer temperature and switch off recirculating mode and make it blow towards windscreen and feet, these are the best settings for winter driving. 

Luis - On 14th December, you posted that you had the car booked into your Toyota dealer on 11th January for them to look at this issue. Why not update on what happened with that booking?

Dec - I have now found out my Yaris was compared to dual climate car. Performance and cabin temps behave very differently. 

Apparently car behaves like this because it isn’t dual climate. 

I don’t understand why it’s chucking out so much heat and ac is switching on below 4 degrees. I need it to cool cabin because auto makes or manual makes it too hot or just steams up. 

Video looks similar to my probs. If I select front / rear clearing we all swelter. 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi,

air conditioning on cars does NOT work at all when outside air temperature is below 4C°, you can not judge correctly by switching ON air con because even with green light ON the actual air compressor it’s not operative since in low temperatures there is a risk of freezing and damage to the compressor components. Plus outside air is at lower temp that air con will produce, wait until outside air temp gets around 15C° and then you can test it properly. At lowest setting should be around 4C° air flow from the middle vents. Now when cold no need to use air con at all, just set your prefer temperature and switch off recirculating mode and make it blow towards windscreen and feet, these are the best settings for winter driving. 

This is happening since October last year when the temperature were between 12 & 16 degrees. As you can see can see in the video when it was in low the air compressor was on a soonest you change to 15 the compressor came off. The temperature outside was the same.

4 minutes ago, PurpleElf said:

Dec - I have now found out my Yaris was compared to dual climate car. Performance and cabin temps behave very differently. 

Apparently car behaves like this because it isn’t dual climate. 

I don’t understand why it’s chucking out so much heat and ac is switching on below 4 degrees. I need it to cool cabin because auto makes or manual makes it too hot or just steams up. 

Video looks similar to my probs. If I select front / rear clearing we all swelter. 

It is important for people to report this to your dealer. I got a case going on with Toyota. as more people report the better will be. They actually ask to encourage people to report the concern. In my opinion something is not right. I has tested 3 vehicles all are the same. 

56 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

On 14th December, you posted that you had the car booked into your Toyota dealer on 11th January for them to look at this issue. Why not update on what happened with that booking?

2 minutes ago, Luis Volcan said:

It is important for people to report this to your dealer. I got a case going on with Toyota. as more people report the better will be. They actually ask to encourage people to report the concern. In my opinion something is not right. I has tested 3 vehicles all are the same. 

Glad that you ask me. I took the car and they didn’t do anything believe it or not. They top up the coolant that is all they did. I got prove of this. 

Just now, Luis Volcan said:

Glad that you ask me. I took the car and they didn’t do anything believe it or not. They top up the coolant that is all they did. I got prove of this. 

I’m back here trying to find more people I know I’m not the only one. They said yesterday after internal investigation that the air conditioning is working according to manufacturer standards. But I still not convinced 

1 minute ago, Luis Volcan said:

I’m back here trying to find more people I know I’m not the only one. They said yesterday after internal investigation that the air conditioning is working according to manufacturer standards. But I still not convinced 

As we're an independent from Toyota, just asking members whether they have the same issue isn't going to make Toyota GB look at your issue. You need to raise a case with Toyota GB Customer Relations and let Toyota GB do some investigations.

On 2/10/2021 at 12:42 PM, PurpleElf said:

Does anyone have a update on how they got on with Toyota. My dealership are lovely but after having the car for over a month Toyota GB are now saying that it is behaving as it should. I'm waiting to hear back but I'm not thinking that driving around at 16/17 degrees in winter is good for fuel economy to keep the car cool.

This definitely doesn't match - behaving as it should. 

Same is happening to me. I have been in contact with customer service since November. I spoke to them today. I will speak to them tomorrow again. Dealer are find they doing what Toyota is telling them to do. 

1 minute ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As we're an independent from Toyota, just asking members whether they have the same issue isn't going to make Toyota GB look at your issue. You need to raise a case with Toyota GB Customer Relations and let Toyota GB do some investigations.

Sorry but customer relation ask me to encourage people to report. I think this platform is the best way. 

Last thing to everyone who has the same issue please report to customer relation team GB via email. You can find the email address on Toyota GB website. 

From a data protection viewpoint, you're not going to be able to use member details from this Club to report to Toyota, and you're never going to be sure how many people may report to Toyota. Also we're neither a campaigning or pressure group.

14 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

From a data protection viewpoint, you're not going to be able to use member details from this Club to report to Toyota, and you're never going to be sure how many people may report to Toyota. Also we're neither a campaigning or pressure group.

Completely agree with you. We are just helping each other to find solutions. The car is amazing but the air con is not. 

Luis based on the way you are testing the Temperature it is difficult to see a fault:

"Lo" is not a temperature setting, the System will deliver cold air as cool as it possibly can, a working AC system should be be between 5-10 degrees, which is what the air from your centre vents is providing.

You then set 15 degrees, what was the ambient cabin temp?  as the car taking its reading from a sensor in the dash ( item 8 & 88625q in pic's attached ) and it will depending on cabin temp add hot or cold air until such time as the sensor says 15 degrees has been reached only then will the air temp from the vents normalise to maintain temp, ideally you need two temp probes one reading the air as it enters the holes in the dash going to the temp sensor and one measuring the air temp output from the air vents and only when the air into the sensor is reading your desired temp should the output air normalise towards the set target.

image.thumb.png.72d21a207803d1fffd2f3d8258a2bfb7.png

image.thumb.png.8a116082fb0f6daa749b6b17280f133d.png

• Like 1

My Launch Edition model went in for the Rear Seat Belt recall the other day and I asked them to check my climate control settings at the same time because I have also been experiencing temperatures way above what the system was set to (in my case 21°C). I showed them these two photos which highlight the higher cabin temperature after a full warm up of the ICE; as reported by the car's OBDII output to the Hybrid Assistant app on my phone and also a separate temperature indicator (1st photo - blow it up and you'll see the steering wheel icon).

PXL_20210102_084814791.thumb.jpg.b439ea3b466ec05ce78a613a800cea62.jpg

PXL_20210102_084654181.thumb.jpg.598eba79be52cf07e6c81528b38e3fc1.jpg

They did check and confirmed the same thing. They then said that via Techstream, they had turned down the heater vent temperature setting to -2 for the relevant ECU; which apparently has -2 -1 0 +1 +2 variables buried in the ECU settings. He told me to try it out on the next long journey.

On Friday, we went for our jabs which involved a 30 min journey to get there and it was definitely better but I still had to turn the temperature setting down to 19 to get an actual cabin temperature of 21 as indicated in the Hybrid Assistant app. Still working on it...

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 8:03 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Luis based on the way you are testing the Temperature it is difficult to see a fault:

"Lo" is not a temperature setting, the System will deliver cold air as cool as it possibly can, a working AC system should be be between 5-10 degrees, which is what the air from your centre vents is providing.

You then set 15 degrees, what was the ambient cabin temp?  as the car taking its reading from a sensor in the dash ( item 8 & 88625q in pic's attached ) and it will depending on cabin temp add hot or cold air until such time as the sensor says 15 degrees has been reached only then will the air temp from the vents normalise to maintain temp, ideally you need two temp probes one reading the air as it enters the holes in the dash going to the temp sensor and one measuring the air temp output from the air vents and only when the air into the sensor is reading your desired temp should the output air normalise towards the set target.

image.thumb.png.72d21a207803d1fffd2f3d8258a2bfb7.png

image.thumb.png.8a116082fb0f6daa749b6b17280f133d.png

Remember that depends if is on auto or manual in the video is on manual. When you set up the air con in manual on 15 degrees you expect fresh air not heat. Well that was how my previous Yaris icon 2018 used to work. My all new Yaris air con behaves very weird. As you can see I’m not the only one with the same concern. 

On 2/12/2021 at 8:03 PM, Devon Aygo said:

Lee, check out my post above? There is definitely an issue in the new Yarises...

Just wondering how everyone is getting on. 

Haven't had my car for several weeks now and getting a bit frustrated. 

I collected a new Yaris Design yesterday (March 1st 2021). I don't think there is a fault with the climate, but equally I don't think it's quite right. My other car is Lexus RX 450h, which has brilliant climate, so I shouldn't really compare. However, it seems much warmer in the Yaris for same set temperature in automatic mode.  It's too cold now to check the air condition properly. I also think it's a bit of a noisy system, there is a lot of noise, for not a lot of airflow. Perhaps my expectations are too high, and I need to be realistic about a city car?

• Like 1

Not a city car - that's the Aygo.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, W1P30UT said:

I collected a new Yaris Design yesterday (March 1st 2021). I don't think there is a fault with the climate, but equally I don't think it's quite right. My other car is Lexus RX 450h, which has brilliant climate, so I shouldn't really compare. However, it seems much warmer in the Yaris for same set temperature in automatic mode.  It's too cold now to check the air condition properly. I also think it's a bit of a noisy system, there is a lot of noise, for not a lot of airflow. Perhaps my expectations are too high, and I need to be realistic about a city car?

I don’t think is about expectation, is simple work or doesn’t work. My all new Yaris is set in 17 degrees in winter time. 👎👎👎👎

Ok, when set at desired temperature after 30-40 min driving, does it change the temperature of the air flow or keeps the same as beginning of the journey ? 

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, when set at desired temperature after 30-40 min driving, does it change the temperature of the air flow or keeps the same as beginning of the journey ? 

Air flow keeps the same