Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris air con concern

Luis Volcan

16 minutes ago, Luis Volcan said:

Air flow keeps the same

important:

It shouldn’t be the same, with rising interior temperature the air flow temperature should go down few degrees to maintain something close to the pre set temperature.

Not important: 

I have sometimes complains from passengers that they feel cold when actually the car is warm enough, even sometimes they blame me for using aircon in winter instead of heating, obviously the car been running for hours and inside is well warm and the system switch almost to fresh air from outside and since is winter they feel like is aircon on, few degrees up on the dash , 22 to 23 even and all is sorted. Everyone happy. Auto climate controls are tricky to use sometimes., been using them since long time with Audi A4 from 1994 . Another thing to point: sometimes we humans can sense air temperature differently depending on our bodies and how they work., excitement, worries, stress, adrenaline, blood pressure, mood, tiredness, use of any drugs all those factors can upset how we sense temperature around us. 

4 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

important:

It shouldn’t be the same, with rising interior temperature the air flow temperature should go down few degrees to maintain something close to the pre set temperature.

Not important: 

I have sometimes complains from passengers that they feel cold when actually the car is warm enough, even sometimes they blame me for using aircon in winter instead of heating, obviously the car been running for hours and inside is well warm and the system switch almost to fresh air from outside and since is winter they feel like is aircon on, few degrees up on the dash , 22 to 23 even and all is sorted. Everyone happy. Auto climate controls are tricky to use sometimes., been using them since long time with Audi A4 from 1994 . Another thing to point: sometimes we humans can sense air temperature differently depending on our bodies and how they work., excitement, worries, stress, adrenaline, blood pressure, mood, tiredness, use of any drugs all those factors can upset how we sense temperature around us. 

I use air conditioning sometimes in winter  specially after doing exercises. But At the moment I can’t even get fresh air from my new all Yaris air conditioning. Very disappointed. Apparently their is nothing they can possibly do to change the way the car air conditioning behaves. It have been designed to work how it work. Customer relation GB Said I’m the only case so far reported to them. I have done everything I can possibly do. 

1 minute ago, Luis Volcan said:

I use air conditioning sometimes in winter  specially after doing exercises. But At the moment I can’t even get fresh air from my new all Yaris air conditioning. Very disappointed. Apparently their is nothing they can possibly do to change the way the car air conditioning behaves. It have been designed to work how it work. Customer relation GB Said I’m the only case so far reported to them. I have done everything I can possibly do. 

That’s not good enough. If does not change air flow temperature with time or not able to get just fresh air there is something wrong, perhaps interior temperature sensor or flaps management, ecu, software, I don’t know but someone from Toyota should, not customer relation but at engineers level, or whoever designed and made the whole system . 

1 minute ago, Luis Volcan said:

It is like COVID-19 they need lots of cases to say it’s time to do something. For me all the All New Yaris have the same issue. Even the dual system. I tested 4 new Yaris all are the same. 

Just now, Luis Volcan said:

It is like COVID-19 they need lots of cases to say it’s time to do something. For me all the All New Yaris have the same issue. Even the dual system. I tested 4 new Yaris all are the same. 

I can believe that, very similar with Apple products, iPhones iPads always something wrong with new models and since they are mass production millions of people are affected, but not all can realise.  Latest iPhone 12 series has camera lens issues, almost if not all of them and latest iPad Air 4 Battery issues, very large numbers, luckily I have from both devices and so far I have no problems with either. Recent years been afraid of buying new things a lot, technology, cars, am I getting old, or quality of everything is downhill. 

8 hours ago, Luis Volcan said:

Customer relation GB Said I’m the only case so far reported to them. 

That is plainly not true since I have reported mine to them directly and via my local dealer! I don't know why they have such a problem accepting that there IS an issue with the climate control in the new models.

9 hours ago, CPN said:

That is plainly not true since I have reported mine to them directly and via my local dealer! I don't know why they have such a problem accepting that there IS an issue with the climate control in the new models.

Guys I mentioned that in their Facebook page on Yaris add, they responded straightaway as short conversation about my car and the new Yaris, I think all having this problem should ask questions there directly and ask for assistance, Toyota Uk seems represented by a  good people and they should help. 👍 It could be a faulty temp sensor that tricks the system thinking is too cold inside and heating is blowing  hot air non stop, that’s one of my theories that comes to mind first. 

One point is that Toyota GB aren't going to discuss with or mention to an individual how many reports they've actually had. 

20 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Ok, when set at desired temperature after 30-40 min driving, does it change the temperature of the air flow or keeps the same as beginning of the journey ? 

I did 30 minute drive last night. 

The air flow (fan speed) changes on mine. It's just a bit slow to heat up, then too hot for a bit, and then settles down. I don't think mine is faulty, just not a great system. 

Yesterday was a cold day, and I noticed that the engine would lose temperature. Perhaps the super economy and high thermal efficiency has the downside of poor heat.

One thing I would try is to get the car hot, then put the heating to max. I once had poor heating on a Prius, and I did this, and there was a gurgling noise and then good heat from there on. Must have been an airlock.

I can tell you how to test heating system in winter to see if everything works as it’s supposed to.: 

1. AC should be OFF

2. Auto function OFF

3. Recirculating OFF 

4. Heating temperature set at 22C°

5. Air flow set manually to blow toward windscreen and feet

6. Speed fun set at 2 bars or speed 2 and don’t touch that. 

Get into the car and measure the air temperature inside using simple thermometer from home, make a note of the reading. Start the car and make sure all above is as per description, let the car stay in ready mode for 30 min. All windows should be closed, measure regularly the air flow temperature from the middle and side vents throughout the whole process and separately measure the temperature of the interior as you keep away from air flow and vents, best to measure just under the steering wheel. Make note of all readings.

First air flow should be with temp similar to outside, cold. With engine running the air flow temperature should progressively rise even more than the set 22C° and the interior should become warmer. After 30 min or more the car interior should have reached the desired temp of 22C° +-4C° and air flow temp should have lower by itself. Through the process try to pick some noise from dashboard , flaps are moving open-close , especially when air flow temperature starts to go down. Engine can run stop start many cycles, that’s normal. Now after 40 min spent in the car monitoring your system, open the drivers door fully and measure the air flow from the middle vents, temperature should start rising and engine will kick in to provide more heating to the system. 
This is how normally operates automatic climate control in Toyota hybrids. 
When after 30 min inside and measure interior temperature and it’s well above 22C° , noticeably warmer then something it’s not right. 

Note: parking the car under direct sunlight or using auto function and or ac on will invalidate this test! 

Regards 

BDF98256-2EB2-48BB-A178-F4C6AF13E0E5.jpeg

B6F04502-D6E9-4C81-B3DC-58F36E411409.jpeg

Sorry Tony, but having owned 2 other Yaris Hybrids since 2014 (apart from my current one) that were both top of the range Excel models having full climate control and that behaved in exactly the same way as each other when set to 21°C, full auto and with the a/c on, both "just worked correctly" according to the temperature set. So, I would vehemently disagree with your assertion.

The resultant temperature in the cabin of both those cars was very similar to being indoors (also has a CH thermostat set to 21°C in there); summer or winter, I never changed the settings. Didn't have to. In the summer, the a/c worked as expected and in the winter, although the a/c remained on at the switch, the heating worked as expected also. Unfortunately, I don't have any images of any tests in those cars simply because it never arose as any kind of issue during the 6 years of ownership.

The way that this Launch Edition's climate control behaves for the same settings as those two cars is very different and my local main dealer agrees with me.

(and I don't agree with the red comments on my photo either - keeping the a/c switched on during winter does no harm to the system and just means that it is kept exercised and working properly)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh and I should add that I never changed the outside/recirculate switches manually either in those two cars (or even my new one). I just let the system change it back and forth automatically (which it did) as was needed for the conditions. Surely the whole point of automatic climate control is just that? The clue is in the name...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

One point is that Toyota GB aren't going to discuss with or mention to an individual how many reports they've actually had. 

Indeed and that is a pity. Car manufacturers could do with being a lot more transparent than they currently are and to heck with commercial considerations. They may (surprisingly) find that the buying public would actually appreciate it!

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Guys I mentioned that in their Facebook page on Yaris add, they responded straightaway as short conversation about my car and the new Yaris, I think all having this problem should ask questions there directly and ask for assistance,

Sorry but I don't see Facebook as a conduit to the manufacturer of my car.

5 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Toyota Uk seems represented by a  good people and they should help. 👍 It could be a faulty temp sensor that tricks the system thinking is too cold inside and heating is blowing  hot air non stop, that’s one of my theories that comes to mind first. 

Indeed and a misbehaving thermistor (behind the dashboard) is high on the list of suspects in this case. I would only add that I am currently in a conversation with Toyota GB's support services about these issues and I can't speak highly enough for the co-operation I have had from them in the last 10 years of Toyota ownership actually.

• Like 1

Cool, just trying to help you figure out possible solutions. The test I described  is kind of default settings that needs to be made to check if system perform as is should. AC on or off is personal preference and the system should work fine either way, I have no access to car like your Yaris to check myself. I wish you good luck with Toyota and hopefully they will come with solution about that problem 👍

• Thanks 1

On 3/5/2021 at 2:12 PM, TonyHSD said:

Cool, just trying to help you figure out possible solutions. The test I described  is kind of default settings that needs to be made to check if system perform as is should. AC on or off is personal preference and the system should work fine either way, I have no access to car like your Yaris to check myself. I wish you good luck with Toyota and hopefully they will come with solution about that problem 👍

Hopefully yess. I don’t think Toyota will let as down finger cross. They know what’s going on for sure. 

• Thanks 1

I took my car in to the garage this week for them to test/repair the problem with the climate control. 

"Having set the temperature level at 23 degrees and left the car running for 20 minutes the test Thermometer kept level at 23 degrees. He has indicated that there is no adjustment in the actual settings so unfortunately would not be possible to change them."

I've never known any car keep temperature so accurately. In fact I've got advanced computer controlled under floor heating in our house, that isn't that accurate. I struggle to believe this!