Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Yaris air con concern

Luis Volcan

On 12/11/2020 at 12:50 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Air con doesn't usually blow cold if the outside temperature is around 4 degrees or less. What are the outside temperatures where you are?

I had a AYGO as a replacement car for 2 days and the air con was working perfect nothing to do with my new Yaris. Same with my previous Yaris the air con system was perfect. 

The fact I currently have an Aygo, after owning two Auris and three Corollas, is irrelevant as regards my reply. Air con in the vast majority of cars doesn't produce cold air when the temperatures fall to around 4 degrees C. Of 21 new cars I've owned, 14 have had air con.

As you have the vehicle booked into the dealer next week, see what the outcome is.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mick F said:

Wrong.

The temp control is thermostatic.  Set it warmer than outside and you'll get warmer air than what is set until - and only until - the internal temp is correct.

The Auto system is for the air distribution, not the aircon itself.

Best is to leave it all on Auto and set the temp you want, and forget it.  We vary ours a bit as when it's sunny the heat from the sun warms you up through the glass so you want a cooler temp out of the vents.

If it's not correct or working right, take the car back to Toyota and they'll test it.

Mick.

Just clicked on this as I was searching for a Roof Rack but this caught my eye. Aircon in New Yaris is my only concern. I like to set it to auto and 20ish in most other cars I've driven. At present im very toasty and we feel too hot often so end up turning it right down. Can't use auto because the windows stream up constantly. I feel like air con is playing up. It's weird 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PurpleElf said:

Just clicked on this as I was searching for a roof rack but this caught my eye. Aircon in New Yaris is my only concern. I like to set it to auto and 20ish in most other cars I've driven. At present im very toasty and we feel too hot often so end up turning it right down. Can't use auto because the windows stream up constantly. I feel like air con is playing up. It's weird 

I have a Launch Edition with full auto climate and I can confirm that something weird is going on with the temperature control in our car too. I am currently investigating with various forms of measurement including the Android Hybrid Assistant app (which monitors 3 sensors via the OBDII port). Suffice to say that at a set temp of 21 degs C (as in our previous Yaris Hybrid Excel) we are feeling distinctly hotter than that once the engine has warmed up and HA is showing a cabin temperature of 27 degs! Watch this space...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, CPN said:

I have a Launch Edition with full auto climate and I can confirm that something weird is going on with the temperature control in our car too. I am currently investigating with various forms of measurement including the Android Hybrid Assistant app (which monitors 3 sensors via the OBDII port). Suffice to say that at a set temp of 21 degs C (as in our previous Yaris Hybrid Excel) we are feeling distinctly hotter than that once the engine has warmed up and HA is showing a cabin temperature of 27 degs! Watch this space...

Hi thank you for replying back. I knew I was not the only one. As I tested  another one from the dealer and it was behaving weird as well. Toyota GB is following my case very closely. next week I have to take my car to the dealer to continue the investigation. Hopefully they will find what is going on.  My car is the new edition  as well 2 month old. We should stay in contact to see the outcome. 

10 minutes ago, Luis Volcan said:

Hi thank you for replying back. I knew I was not the only one. As I tested  another one from the dealer and it was behaving weird as well. Toyota GB is following my case very closely. next week I have to take my car to the dealer to continue the investigation. Hopefully they will find what is going on.  My car is the new edition  as well 2 month old. We should stay in contact to see the outcome. 

Indeed we should.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CPN said:

Indeed we should.

Please let me know the results of your tests. Try to take pictures and videos for evidences. If you can let your dealer know about it that also help. 

On 12/13/2020 at 8:54 AM, Luis Volcan said:

Please let me know the results of your tests. Try to take pictures and videos for evidences. If you can let your dealer know about it that also help. 

Appointment rebooked to the 11 of January 🙃🙃.

Hi everyone if you have any concern about your Brand new Yaris  2020 air con. Please let me know. In my opinion something is not right with the temperature control. I can’t keep the air con on auto in 20C. It becomes too warm. So I end the up turning it right down. Something weird. 

On 12/13/2020 at 6:54 AM, PurpleElf said:

Following with interest. Thanks. 

Following with interest too.

There must be a design error that makes the aircon/climate control behave like that?

Only three cars with aircon over the years but they go back to 2001 (one we had, we had for a dozen years or more) and not one single issue with any of them ............. or with our 2014 Yaris.

Mick.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mick F said:

Following with interest too.

There must be a design error that makes the aircon/climate control behave like that?

Only three cars with aircon over the years but they go back to 2001 (one we had, we had for a dozen years or more) and not one single issue with any of them ............. or with our 2014 Yaris.

Mick.

That’s my feeling a design error. Because Toyota technician insisted that the air con is working according to manufacturers standards. The main issue will be in summer. The car inside  is going to be boiling 🥵 for sure. Hopefully Toyota will do something before summer. I will update a soonest I get new results. Unfortunately we have to wait 1 month. 

Following too. There was an issue with air conditioning on a fellow member with new Corolla and dealership found that there was no enough gas in the system, they recharge it and all went ok after a week time the problem started all over again. Second time the mechanics discovered a leak and parts that needed a replacement, he had to wait for a new parts arriving from Japan, but the AC was fixed at the end. It’s very tricky to find AC problems when air temperature is below 10C° and in general in winter times. One tip if you interested:

To check if air con works you should switch to manual AC only at lowest temperature settings and air flow middle of dashboard., before that make the cabin extra hot using highest temperature settings, the car should be oven hot and then the AC may kick in properly to cool down the cabin, keep in Re-circulation mode so AC can work hard and not use outside cold air. 👍 Toyota dealership should check for gas pressure and quantity to make sure all ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Following too. There was an issue with air conditioning on a fellow member with new Corolla and dealership found that there was no enough gas in the system, they recharge it and all went ok after a week time the problem started all over again. Second time the mechanics discovered a leak and parts that needed a replacement, he had to wait for a new parts arriving from Japan, but the AC was fixed at the end. It’s very tricky to find AC problems when air temperature is below 10C° and in general in winter times. One tip if you interested:

To check if air con works you should switch to manual AC only at lowest temperature settings and air flow middle of dashboard., before that make the cabin extra hot using highest temperature settings, the car should be oven hot and then the AC may kick in properly to cool down the cabin, keep in Re-circulation mode so AC can work hard and not use outside cold air. 👍 Toyota dealership should check for gas pressure and quantity to make sure all ok. 

Thank you. System is okay. It have been check by the dealer. Gas is ok. A/C ok Air con works on lowest level it goes down to 4.5 C in less then 5 minutes. The problem is as soonest you move the temperature one level higher than the lowest the a/c turns off and  the system start blowing heat. So strange an unusual. Another fact is when you are stuck in traffic on electric and the engine starts to cool down the a/c kick and you start to feel fresh air. But when the car starts moving and the engine warmup again the a/c turns off and heat starts to come out again. Weird an interesting.

I think   something  needs to be reprogram. 

20 hours ago, Luis Volcan said:

Thank you. System is okay. It have been check by the dealer. Gas is ok. A/C ok Air con works on lowest level it goes down to 4.5 C in less then 5 minutes. The problem is as soonest you move the temperature one level higher than the lowest the a/c turns off and  the system start blowing heat. So strange an unusual. Another fact is when you are stuck in traffic on electric and the engine starts to cool down the a/c kick and you start to feel fresh air. But when the car starts moving and the engine warmup again the a/c turns off and heat starts to come out again. Weird an interesting.

Good news. Stay tune booking changed again to this Thursday.  Finger cross. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 6:18 PM, Luis Volcan said:

Intersting. So am i right in saying you can get very cold air, but if you turn up the temperature at all it then blows warm air?

Do you think that very cold air will be insufficient to cool the car down in the summer then?

9 hours ago, Mikw said:

Intersting. So am i right in saying you can get very cold air, but if you turn up the temperature at all it then blows warm air?

Do you think that very cold air will be insufficient to cool the car down in the summer then?

Basically the air con only blows cool air on the lowest level. So even in summer won’t be possible too cold. So you will have to be up and down all the time. Too hot or to cold hard to explain is unusual. Never happens to me before. Same thing is happening now is too hot on temperature that shouldn’t be too hot. For example is impossible to keep it set on 19C. It become too warm. At the moment just waiting for Toyota for the test results. 

11 hours ago, Mikw said:

To answer your first question yess you are right. 
second question it’s all the way round it will cool the car too much. The issue is that you can’t adjust something in between. The temperature control looks a bit deconfigured. 

4 hours ago, Luis Volcan said:

To answer your first question yess you are right. 
second question it’s all the way round it will cool the car too much. The issue is that you can’t adjust something in between. The temperature control looks a bit deconfigured. 

Ok, i see what you mean. I should be getting a Yaris Hybrid soon, be interesting to see if mine is the same.

On 12/19/2020 at 11:12 AM, PurpleElf said:

Booked in for Monday

Still with dealership. Apparently now going to be raised with Toyota directly as investigations found a difference with AC to how they believe it should be performing. Because it is a new car they don't touch it until someone at Toyota is sent out to see it.  To be honest id rather they sort it first time now whilst im very limited with travel etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, PurpleElf said:

Still with dealership. Apparently now going to be raised with Toyota directly as investigations found a difference with AC to how they believe it should be performing. Because it is a new car they don't touch it until someone at Toyota is sent out to see it.  To be honest id rather they sort it first time now whilst im very limited with travel etc. 

I am missing it though as im driving the older version. 

13 hours ago, PurpleElf said:

Ok. I’ve got it back for a bit. Still same probs after they’ve replaced a part. Drive along auto no air con I steam up quickly at 20 degrees. Select front and rear windscreens to clear and ac comes on and I start to cook (and it’s noisy). Ac runs at 17 degrees for the journey to keep cabin comfortable. I will now organise for it to go back and Toyota UK will look at it. 

Got to say though I love the way it drives compared to the courtesy car and the Apple CarPlay makes it better too  🙂

• 1 month later...

Car still with Toyota dealership. Because it is a new model  dealership has to await instructions from Toyota. It’s been almost a month that I’ve not had my car.  Spoken to Toyota uk customer relations. Dealership seem to have done all they can. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links