Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wiring Route for Dash Cam

AKLZ

I promise to try and make this my last ‘dash cam’ post!

Based on your own experiences, when hard wiring a camera in from just to the left of the RVM down to the fuse box, what is the optimal wire routing path? Obviously the wire will be tucked behind the upholstery, but where should I be routing it.

A very clear step by step guide would be amazingly helpful!

Any tips on tricky areas would be great too; any clips or awkward sections on the upholstery/ lining that are known to be difficult.

As always thanks to the amazing posters in this great forum! I can’t wait to do all this so I can too pass on my experiences.

(PS any advice on wiring route from rear to front camera also welcome!)

Well, I’m going to give it a go this weekend! I presume a ‘natural path’ for the wire will present itself to me as I go along. I will update with my experiences and a diagram if I can, for any future searchers finding this thread. 

Thank you!

However my insurance (and all the ones I also got quotes from) have made it clear that they consider fitting a Dashcam (with 'hard wiring') to be a modification and either decline to insure me, or in one instance wanted a £1100 premium for having one!

So, I will no longer be fitting one. I dont want wires dangling to the 12v and having to remove and hide everything every time I get out of the car, so it's not for me now.

A shame. 

I fail to say how fitting a dash cam, hardwired or not, can be classed as a modification, as it is not a permanent fixture. I have front and rear cameras held in place with the normal suction cups, the rear camera being plugged into the front one, which uses a piggyback fuse to the fuse box under the glove box. Having said that, I have just today arranged to change my insurance at renewal so I will contact the new company and check.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKLZ said:

Thank you!

However my insurance (and all the ones I also got quotes from) have made it clear that they consider fitting a dashcam (with 'hard wiring') to be a modification and either decline to insure me, or in one instance wanted a £1100 premium for having one!

So, I will no longer be fitting one. I dont want wires dangling to the 12v and having to remove and hide everything every time I get out of the car, so it's not for me now.

A shame. 

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance then please feel free to drop me a line. A number of our insurance schemes offer premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.

Regards,

Dan.

After reading this topic I contacted my insurer to tell them that  I now have a hard wired Dashcam fitted by Toyota dealer. I got a £14 refund on my remaining 8 months insurance. They do class it as a modification however, but in this case it's in my favour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thats great! My experience couldn't have been further from that. Maybe it's because I stressed the 'it's hardwired' part. But i'm glad at least this saved someone something! 

An insurance business with a customer who has a dash cam has an easier time when it comes to a claim. That’s due to the fact the dash cam more then likely caught all the action within the scope of the lens field of vision. Date, time, location, reg number,  road condition, street furniture, signs, speed all help the job of determining blame, especially useful if there are discrepancies and arguments by any party involved.                   
Can’t see why any company wants to charge more and has been said, more then a few companies will charge less.

• Like 1

Following on from my post last Thursday, I have just spoken to my insurance broker, (Chill Insurance),who have contacted the insurance company I am changing to, (Liberty Insurance), and they came back with the following comment after I explained that the dash cam is hard wired in as much as it is connected to the fuse box by way of a piggy back fuse holder - "it will not affect the premium". Bear in mind that I live in Ireland, with an Irish registered car.