Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2019 Touring Sports - Spare Wheel Fitment?

fullfathom5

Hi,

I've just bought a 2019 Toyota Corolla Touring Sports that just comes with a TRK rather than a spare wheel.

Having recently experienced a puncture late at night in rural Devon in another car (single track road, middle of nowhere, pitch black dark) I want to get a spare.

In my Corolla the spare wheel well is carpeted so does anybody know if underneath there is a threaded hole for a retaining screw. Also, will the wheel well just take a space saver or could I fit a full-size 17" wheel in there?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Good question. My 2019 TS 2.0 Excel has a space saver. I can’t answer about the thread for locking it in place, but from eyeballing the space saver in the wheel well, I’d be amazed if a full size didn’t fit. When I drive across Europe I take a full size spare wheel with me, so I hope one does fit under there. Off to read those threads above now!

5 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

Good question. My 2019 TS 2.0 Excel has a space saver. I can’t answer about the thread for locking it in place, but from eyeballing the space saver in the wheel well, I’d be amazed if a full size didn’t fit. When I drive across Europe I take a full size spare wheel with me, so I hope one does fit under there. Off to read those threads above now!

In better times I have two driving holidays in Europe a year and so like you would prefer to have a full size spare rather than a space saver. I did some rough measuring and think a 17" wheel would fit but would like to know for sure.

I have a 1.8 TS design, to which I have fitted a Auris 17in space saver as I have lowered the boot floor due to a large dog needing head room. I can confirm there is a threaded whole under the carpet. A  17in full size wheel will fit in as I had to use my spare due to a full tyre blow out after 400 miles from new! the full size fitted the recess.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Revolver said:

I have a 1.8 TS design, to which I have fitted a auris 17in space saver as I have lowered the boot floor due to a large dog needing head room. I can confirm there is a threaded whole under the carpet. A  17in full size wheel will fit in as I had to use my spare due to a full tyre blow out after 400 miles from new! the full size fitted the recess.

Thanks - that's exactly what I needed to know.

Just an update. 

My 2019 TS Excel 2.0 has a space saving wheel sat in a HUGE wheel well. It would easily fit a full sized wheel in there, though at this stage I havent actually done it.

Also, it does have a locking / threaded nut thing to hold it into place, and this would work with a full sized. The full sized wheel would still allow the boot floor to be at the lower level too from my measurements, which is great, and a full sized wheel acts like a bowl meaning you can store loads of stuff *inside it* (not on it like the space saver), such as the tools and first aid kit, further increasing above deck boot space. 

When I eventually find a full sized wheel to use as a spare and fit it, I will update this with photos, but that could be a few weeks as I likely wont buy one until my next trans-European road trip. 

Hope that's of some help.

I was in two minds whether to buy a space saver or a full size wheel but eventually decided on the latter and have ordered the following:

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-corolla/corolla-mk12-2019-present/accessories-corolla-mk12-2019-present/toyota-corolla-2019-present-alloy-wheel-17-2/

I also cut a very small hole in the boot carpet to expose the threaded hole for the retaining screw.

When the wheel arrives I will then need to get a tyre for it and buy a retaining screw although Toyota don't sell one apparently as, according to their official eBay parts store, a 17" wheel won't fit in the wheel well of a Corolla TS (which is obviously incorrect). I also own a Celica that has a full size spare so if that retaining screw fits I shall just buy another the same.

• Thanks 2

On 12/19/2020 at 6:52 PM, fullfathom5 said:

I was in two minds whether to buy a space saver or a full size wheel but eventually decided on the latter and have ordered the following:

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-corolla/corolla-mk12-2019-present/accessories-corolla-mk12-2019-present/toyota-corolla-2019-present-alloy-wheel-17-2/

I also cut a very small hole in the boot carpet to expose the threaded hole for the retaining screw.

When the wheel arrives I will then need to get a tyre for it and buy a retaining screw although Toyota don't sell one apparently as, according to their official eBay parts store, a 17" wheel won't fit in the wheel well of a Corolla TS (which is obviously incorrect). I also own a Celica that has a full size spare so if that retaining screw fits I shall just buy another the same.

I ordered one of these from eBay to secure my space saver, seems excellent value.

Genuine Toyota Avensis Spare Wheel Compartment Securing Screw 2015- 5193105030
£1.99
Ordered on 29 Aug 2020

On 12/18/2020 at 5:29 PM, AKLZ said:

Just an update. 

My 2019 TS Excel 2.0 has a space saving wheel sat in a HUGE wheel well. It would easily fit a full sized wheel in there, though at this stage I havent actually done it.

Can anyone confirm if the wheel well in the TS Corolla is the same as the hatchback one?