Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

Moved to the Corolla club.

1.2T, 1.8 hybrid or 2.0 hybrid?

Have a look at the previous topics below -

I purchased a 2019 Corolla hatchback that was factory fitted with TRK but been converted for a spare wheel by the first owners at 800 miles. When I purchased it, at 3700 miles, it was carrying a TRK as the owners had allegedly removed the wheel. I purchased the Toyota spare wheel along with seat and retaining screw but it doesn’t fit in as it clashes with the trim near the bumper. Does anyone know if there is a different trim that allows the spare to fit, that has been changed to fit the TRK tray back in ? I have the conversion parts list which seems to suggest that the part I need is 6471602160C0 but the only image I can find on the eBay store is the same as what’s already fitted.

TIA

Topics merged

In the process of fitting S Saver spare wheel along with additional items in my 2020 Corolla ST and it all seems straight forward. Please post pictures of the problem as I'm sure some one here will assist you.

When centre of spare wheel is aligned with retaining screw hole, the wheel sits on the trim and there are no fixing holes for the polystyrene boxes at the sides !?!

CD8BE2C4-83D6-481E-ADAF-C6BB98990DDD.jpeg

• 1 month later...

If you have the space saver fitted in the 1.8, is the floor of the boot raised or not? Thanks

3 hours ago, HybridLover said:

If you have the space saver fitted in the 1.8, is the floor of the boot raised or not? Thanks

Yes, the floor is raised with a space saver. The difference is noticeable. A showroom car with the lower floor makes the boot area look quite deep and capacious.

I have a 1.8 HB Design which I bought with a space saver. The boot is adequate for my day to day needs but the floor is a few inches higher, just below the sill of the hatchback. I can live with that, I really don't like the idea of relying on a TRK.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, is the raised floor level with the back of the folded down rears seats like that?

23 hours ago, HybridLover said:

Thanks, is the raised floor level with the back of the folded down rears seats like that?

I'm not in a position to check right now but I think so, yes. Some months ago I transported a few large items, furniture and stuff, and the whole area with folded seats created a large flat surface which was ideal.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hi,
I took delivery of my Corolla Excel Hatchback 1.8 on October 8th this year, it replaces my 8 year old Auris HSD. I expected it to be pretty much more of the same only newer but really Toyota  have been busy, I am extremely pleased with the car but have just one main issue. When I ordered the car there was no option for a space saver spare wheel (there is now..) just the awful Tyre Repair Kit (TRK). I still have the unused spare wheel and jack etc. from the Auris which I have been told are the same as for the Corolla but the conversion (to raise the floor slightly) apparently comes in TWO kits from Toyota totalling approximately £500 (this info from the local dealership) plus fitting. I feel this is something of an expensive overkill and wonder what other options are available to me as I am sure that most owners would prefer to carry a space-saver as opposed to the TRK (and accept a very minor fuel consumtion hit). Any advice would be much appreciated (bearing in mind I already have the wheel, jack and tools).

Search through the forums for Toyota Corolla spare wheel this has been brought up before someone done it but I can’t remember who. I asked the parts guy at my Toyota dealers about a spare wheel he said yes they were available but you wouldn’t want to do it as it would be about a £1000!!

I have bought one of those emergency tubeless plug kits on eBay which seems to have good reviews if I get a puncture and then get it plugged properly at a tyre fitters when time allows. Just out of interest I had my auris nearly 6 years and had 1 puncture and that was through the side wall which rendered the tyre u/s anyway

• Like 3

Thanks for your response Rosgoe, I agree £1000 is over the top!! I am really looking for a way to carry the spare in a tidy way using the spare wheel well as I cannot see myself plugging a tyre at the side of the road on a wet and dark night (too old for that... lol) otherwise your solution would be fine. I agree that the chance of a puncture is low (not a single puncture in the last 8 years in my Auris) but we all know that fate will interfere just for the hell of it..! and thinking about it the last few punctures I had seem to have ended in tyre replacement rather than repair. Until I find a suitable way to store the spare it will have to continue to live in the rear load area wasting the wheel well space when I go any distance away from home. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WalnutinUK said:

Thanks for your response Rosgoe, I agree £1000 is over the top!! I am really looking for a way to carry the spare in a tidy way using the spare wheel well as I cannot see myself plugging a tyre at the side of the road on a wet and dark night (too old for that... lol) otherwise your solution would be fine. I agree that the chance of a puncture is low (not a single puncture in the last 8 years in my Auris) but we all know that fate will interfere just for the hell of it..! and thinking about it the last few punctures I had seem to have ended in tyre replacement rather than repair. Until I find a suitable way to store the spare it will have to continue to live in the rear load area wasting the wheel well space when I go any distance away from home. 

Have you got the 2.0 litre or 1.8 I think it is easier to store the spare wheel on the 2.0 litre as from memory when I looked to buying the 2.0 litre it had some sort of storage under the deck board next to the Battery not sure that if you took that foam insert out wether there is enough room to put the space saver in there. I went for the 1.8 as there was a bigger boot on that model and is plenty powerful for my needs the boot well on the 1.8 is not deep enough to take the space saver, I think the space saver measures just over 150mm wide so the boot carpet just sits on top of the wheel.

Yes you are absolutely correct, my car is the 1.8 so the spare rises just a little bit above the "floor level". As you say the boot carpet just sits on the wheel so I am looking for a way to support the boot carpet and keep it looking good around the edges (as you lift the carpet it creates space around the edges. I do not mind spending a few hundred pounds if necessary but £500 seems a little excessive to me, maybe I shall just have to "bite the bullet" (and then cry for a day or two...lol.). I really like the car and do not want to make it look shabby for the sake of saving some money.

Spare wheel unless you are doing high mileage or driving through remote areas may not need at all, I am a high miler and for 100k on my Auris I had only needed once spare wheel, as I hit a massive pothole, but that’s not very often occurrence to warrant having a spare wheel in the boot. If you browse through the Corolla posts you will find a very good one as somebody has done that and there are pictures, part numbers everything you need to get job done. As far as I remember his car was 2.0 and he had a Battery in boot and the car was spare wheel ready, he only needed few bits. Just have a look ., sorry just have no time now to find it for you. 👍One more thing, when I needed to use  the spare wheel the problem was my safety and I had to wait highway officers to turn up and secure the place so I can do the swaps, too busy roads in uk, so may well been just waiting for recovery to do the job for me , safety and without hassle. 

Hi Tony, many thanks for your response. I agree that it is ulikely that I shall need to change my wheel as during the last 8 years I never had a puncture in my Auris but somehow I really prefer not to tempt fate.Whilst I may prefer to let the rescue service change my wheel at the side of the road I still think it is better to have a spare with me for them to use rather than attempt to locate one in the middle of the night when fate dictates this may happen. I did not manage to find the post you mention but in the process I saw several "telephone number" quotes for this conversion so maybe the £500 approximately that I was quoted is not so bad after all (provided that it stays about there and the modification is a good one). In the light of your comments and also those of Rosgoe I have almost decided to go ahead with the local dealership quote, many thanks again to both of you for responding and advising me.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've just bought a 2019 Toyota Corolla Touring Sports that just comes with a TRK rather than a spare wheel.

Having recently experienced a puncture late at night in rural Devon in another car (single track road, middle of nowhere, pitch black dark) I want to get a spare.

In my Corolla the spare wheel well is carpeted so does anybody know if underneath there is a threaded hole for a retaining screw. Also, will the wheel well just take a space saver or could I fit a full-size 17" wheel in there?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Good question. My 2019 TS 2.0 Excel has a space saver. I can’t answer about the thread for locking it in place, but from eyeballing the space saver in the wheel well, I’d be amazed if a full size didn’t fit. When I drive across Europe I take a full size spare wheel with me, so I hope one does fit under there. Off to read those threads above now!

5 minutes ago, AKLZ said:

Good question. My 2019 TS 2.0 Excel has a space saver. I can’t answer about the thread for locking it in place, but from eyeballing the space saver in the wheel well, I’d be amazed if a full size didn’t fit. When I drive across Europe I take a full size spare wheel with me, so I hope one does fit under there. Off to read those threads above now!

In better times I have two driving holidays in Europe a year and so like you would prefer to have a full size spare rather than a space saver. I did some rough measuring and think a 17" wheel would fit but would like to know for sure.

I have a 1.8 TS design, to which I have fitted a auris 17in space saver as I have lowered the boot floor due to a large dog needing head room. I can confirm there is a threaded whole under the carpet. A  17in full size wheel will fit in as I had to use my spare due to a full tyre blow out after 400 miles from new! the full size fitted the recess.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Revolver said:

I have a 1.8 TS design, to which I have fitted a auris 17in space saver as I have lowered the boot floor due to a large dog needing head room. I can confirm there is a threaded whole under the carpet. A  17in full size wheel will fit in as I had to use my spare due to a full tyre blow out after 400 miles from new! the full size fitted the recess.

Thanks - that's exactly what I needed to know.

Just an update. 

My 2019 TS Excel 2.0 has a space saving wheel sat in a HUGE wheel well. It would easily fit a full sized wheel in there, though at this stage I havent actually done it.

Also, it does have a locking / threaded nut thing to hold it into place, and this would work with a full sized. The full sized wheel would still allow the boot floor to be at the lower level too from my measurements, which is great, and a full sized wheel acts like a bowl meaning you can store loads of stuff *inside it* (not on it like the space saver), such as the tools and first aid kit, further increasing above deck boot space. 

When I eventually find a full sized wheel to use as a spare and fit it, I will update this with photos, but that could be a few weeks as I likely wont buy one until my next trans-European road trip. 

Hope that's of some help.

I was in two minds whether to buy a space saver or a full size wheel but eventually decided on the latter and have ordered the following:

https://toyotadirectparts.co.uk/parts/toyota-corolla/corolla-mk12-2019-present/accessories-corolla-mk12-2019-present/toyota-corolla-2019-present-alloy-wheel-17-2/

I also cut a very small hole in the boot carpet to expose the threaded hole for the retaining screw.

When the wheel arrives I will then need to get a tyre for it and buy a retaining screw although Toyota don't sell one apparently as, according to their official eBay parts store, a 17" wheel won't fit in the wheel well of a Corolla TS (which is obviously incorrect). I also own a Celica that has a full size spare so if that retaining screw fits I shall just buy another the same.

• Thanks 2