Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why are the Yaris 1.4 d4d model years post 2010, are not automatic?

Toyota94

This is my first day and first post in this community.

I had 3 yaris 1.4 2002 d4d in a row. I fell in love with this engine.

Now I'm looking to get newer yaris (from year 2012 onwards), with the same engine (the 1.4 d4d), but this time I'm looking for an automatic one.

The surprise is, I couldn't find one. I wonder why there are Yaris 1.4 d4d automatic from year 2007-2010 and not the newer ones?

Are automatic cars have too many gearbox failures, that's why they only supply them in manual?

The auto option in the second generation Yaris (2006-2011) was an manual gearbox with an automated clutch - the Multi Mode Transmission (MMT).

In the third generation Yaris (2011-2020), the Multi Mode Transmission was discarded in favour of a Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) on the petrol models, and from 2012 the Yaris Hybrid with an eCVT was introduced.  With the auto option available for the petrol and hybrid models, presumably there was little demand foreseen for a diesel CVT.

The diesel was dropped totally in 2017, leaving just the 1.0 and 1.5 petrols and the 1.5 hybrid.

So why not look for a Yaris Hybrid.

Depending on what sort of mileage you do 2010 onward diesels have a DPF if you're doing under 14k miles a year or short journeys forget about diesel

A Gen 3 Yaris hybrid should return nearly the same if not better MPG than a diesel plus up to late 2016 they are £0 rate road tax*

• Like 2

I've got a 2009 SR nav d4d mmt 144K miles. No DPF. I get 63mpg average and I have had the clutch adjusted twice at Toyota main dealer and no gearbox problems to report so far.