Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

leaking boot

ethxban

i keep finding water puddles in my 2006 aygos boot. the parcel shelf, roof  around the boot and the back seats seem to be getting damp and wet - any suggestions? 

This is a very common problem - the most common causes are the high level brakelight and the rear lights, but if it's not those then it can also be the seal around the rear glass or even the rear air vents.

If it were me, considering the car is fairly old, I would buy some mould resistant high quality clear sealant and start with the high level brake light. Mine was leaking in this area years ago.

Clean the light and surrounding area thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol first, allow to dry and apply the sealant around the light fitting.

I have the same problem in a 2009 Aygo Blue, would it be worth replacing the sealing gaskets rather than silicon sealant, perhaps sealing behind gaskets?

20 minutes ago, raypeck said:

I have the same problem in a 2009 Aygo Blue, would it be worth replacing the sealing gaskets rather than silicon sealant, perhaps sealing behind gaskets?

When I had a 2008 I tried replacing the gaskets but it made no difference, applying sealant round both rear lights and the high level brake light was the only thing that worked for me.

Having tried to fix similar issues with leaking cars in the past, I’ve found that the only certain resolution is an 8mm hole drilled at the bottom of the boot. Don’t forget to seal the edges of the drill hole so that it doesn’t rust.

I have been checking online and one site is offering a door sealing set for £1048 (about) which is more than the car is worth, but they do say that the Tailgate seals sit so far back that the water can flood over the back lights, I assume.. They recommend replacing the Tailgate seal with a larger size gasket, but more interesting they say install another D shape gasket onto the car where the tailgate shuts. This seems to make sense and when my granddaughter get s back from university will have a go at it.

Gasket looks  quiet cheap on eBay, just got to decide whether I need small or large d size.

Have sealed the high level back light and see if this makes any difference

With the first generation Aygo (and C1 and 107) leaks into the boot were a common issue. As you've already done the high level brake light, check the vents behind the rear bumper and rear lights, and as suggested previously, try using a good quality sealant around these.

• Like 1

We had this with our Peugeot 107 (same platform) and my sisters Aygo. Clear silicon sealant on the brake light, rear lights and bumper vents completely fixed it.

It’s worth allocating an afternoon to doing all of them rather than trying one at a time - as they will all fail in time, and silicone goes off if left for a while 

On 1/1/2021 at 4:05 PM, Gray86 said:

We had this with our Peugeot 107 (same platform) and my sisters Aygo. Clear silicon sealant on the brake light, rear lights and bumper vents completely fixed it.

It’s worth allocating an afternoon to doing all of them rather than trying one at a time - as they will all fail in time, and silicone goes off if left for a while 

Can you do the bumper vents from inside the boot? I only noticed mine after removing the rear valence plastic panel....

6 hours ago, Hal Mercier said:

Can you do the bumper vents from inside the boot? I only noticed mine after removing the rear valence plastic panel....

No, you need to remove the bumper and fix from outside - it’s quite an easy DIY, with it predominantly being held on with plastic clips (look on YouTube for videos). 

I had a leak but the only place that really got wet was the corner of the boot near the left lights. I took them out and put some sealant on the plastic foam piece but it didn't solve the problem. I could never see evidence of where it was coming it - only where it ended up. While poking around trying to figure it out I decided to clean the grot out from around the rubber seal for the boot door. Somehow it seems more or less fine now.

21 hours ago, Ahar said:

I had a leak but the only place that really got wet was the corner of the boot near the left lights. I took them out and put some sealant on the plastic foam piece but it didn't solve the problem. I could never see evidence of where it was coming it - only where it ended up. While poking around trying to figure it out I decided to clean the grot out from around the rubber seal for the boot door. Somehow it seems more or less fine now.

That's where my water collected. The floor carpet was ice-welded to the left side boot carpet so I think it's left light seal though possibly the boot seal. When things dry out and warm up I'll have a look, meanwhile I dried the floor carpet and the boot interior.

The poor Aygo has to sit out in the wet as my 90m² garage is rammed full with car and bike projects.....maybe I'll get it a weatherproof cover till I can clear it a space.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links