Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris T Spirit Diesel 2004 - Engine Intermittently Losing Power

PaulJG

Hi,

First forum I've ever signed up to so bear with me if you spot any mistakes etc..

My wifes Yaris had a very intermittent problem (like maybe once a year) where, without warning, the engine would suddenly

lose all power (but not cut out). She would pull over, turn the engine off, wait a couple of minutes, re-start the engine and be on 

her way like nothing had happened so we sort of accepted the problem given the infrequency.

Unfortunately over the last few months this fault has now been occurring on a weekly basis so we started probing for possible

fixes and don't want to go the dealership route yet as I'm sure they'd just throw money at it without solving the problem.

I've read through some of the historic posts with interest and so far have tried the following:-

• Removed and cleaned the Mass Air Flow Sensor, with the correct electrical cleaning spray - This didn't seem to 

have any affect or improvement and the problem continued.

• Removed the EGR valve and cleaned thoroughly (this was caked in hardened deposits) re-fitted - There did seem to be

an improvement in both performance and it went for over a week before, yet again, the same problem occurred.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what to try next or if it's worth fitting a new EGR valve as there seems to be a lot

of pointers to this part as been problematic.

Although 2004, the mileage is only 66,000 which I know in itself can be an issue as its only used really for a local run around etc..

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Paul

Have you scanned for codes, some codes do not put the light on, when was it last serviced has the water been drained off and/or the fuel filter changed

Hi Bob,

It had a minor service (oil change etc) in February. The fuel filter hasn't been changed. By water drained off, do you mean the

engine coolant? This hasn't been done for some time as far as I can remember.

The orange engine indicator light has been on for approx..18 months however when the local garage hooked it up to the

diagnostic they believe it to be a faulty glow plug which they're reluctant to change saying they can 'snap' and fall into the engine?

I know this can happen so we have left it for now as it's starting ok on the remaining 3 plugs.

Do you know how long the codes would register for following the fault?

Most codes if not hard set last 20-50 key cycles

A bad glow plug, you go to a garage, so they do the work if they break it is their problem, that's what they get paid for

There is a drain on the bottom of the fuel filter to drain the water that settles out of the fuel

Hi Bob,

Have just found the 'draining fuel filter water' detail in the owners manual so will give it a try over the weekend.

Will pop back to the garage as well to check the codes as the last occurrence was on Monday so it might flag something up.

Thanks for your comments, will let you know how it goes

Regards

Paul

You can remove old glowplugs and not break anything - with care and time.

Clean the plug to cylinder head joint of all debris . Thoroughly.

Treat the joint with rust removal spray/fluid.  (NOT WD40). Repeat daily for a week.

The plugs can then be removed by CRAEFULLY unscrewing half a turn, reversing the half turn and reapplying another extra half turn. If it becomes more difficult apply more rust removal. 

Under NO circumstances apply brute force.

Garages in a hurry to do a job will not do this.  I removed our in a then 15 year old Yaris d4d two years ago..

• 4 months later...

Hello PaulJG,

I've just read your post and i have the exact same issue with my toyota yaris 4d4.

I was just wondering if you've solved your problem and if so, how did you proceed.

Many thanks

18 hours ago, Yann said:

Hello PaulJG,

I've just read your post and i have the exact same issue with my toyota yaris 4d4.

I was just wondering if you've solved your problem and if so, how did you proceed.

Many thanks

I suspect his fuel filter was blocked. He talked of draining it down.. and then did not post again.

Try draining it of water first.. and replace the filter as well

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links