Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Yaris Hybrid ....... thoughts

Mick F

Been thinking ................

Had our 2014 Yaris Hybrid Excel since August 2017 and I've formed a few opinions (annoyances?) and written a list off the top of my head:

Headlights quite inadequate on full beam

Very poor internal storage

TPS switch almost inaccessible

Time of Day only in 12h format - if we are stuck with it, why have no AM or PM indication?

Speedometer reads 10% high whilst odometer is spot on

Turning circle way too wide

Very poor visibility for parking manoeuvres

Cannot have rear foglights on without front foglights being on first

There are probably more annoying issues.  Would I have another Yaris Hybrid?

Love the drive-ability of the car and love the lack of fuss and lack of gearbox.  Love the power and fantastic acceleration, love the fuel economy ....................but maybe there's another marque which has all those but without the above issues.

Not in a hurry to swap as yet, but the above (incomplete?) list really takes the shine of an otherwise great car.

Mick.

Headlights quite inadequate on full beam - fit better bulbs

Very poor internal storage - its a small car thing

TPS switch almost inaccessible - How often do you need to reset the TPMS ?

Time of Day only in 12h format - if we are stuck with it, why have no AM or PM indication? - Not an issue tbh - look out the window see if the moon or the sun is out

Speedometer reads 10% high whilst odometer is spot on - 10% at what speed ?

Turning circle way too wide - Not an issue it's on par with most cars i have owned but then again i live in an area that all the roads are tight reverse parking and turns in the road are a daily occurrence

Very poor visibility for parking manoeuvres - Mirrors are decent with plenty of viewing angle the rear camera is a big bonus

Cannot have rear foglights on without front foglights being on first - No issue there - rarely use them most modern cars are the same

None of the issues above are insurmountable tbh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Legally the speedometer has to be optimistic, and 10% is within the legal requirements for the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Headlights quite inadequate on full beam - fit better bulbs

Very poor internal storage - its a small car thing

TPS switch almost inaccessible - How often do you need to reset the TPMS ?

Time of Day only in 12h format - if we are stuck with it, why have no AM or PM indication? - Not an issue tbh - look out the window see if the moon or the sun is out

Speedometer reads 10% high whilst odometer is spot on - 10% at what speed ?

Turning circle way too wide - Not an issue it's on par with most cars i have owned but then again i live in an area that all the roads are tight reverse parking and turns in the road are a daily occurrence

Very poor visibility for parking manoeuvres - Mirrors are decent with plenty of viewing angle the rear camera is a big bonus

Cannot have rear foglights on without front foglights being on first - No issue there - rarely use them most modern cars are the same

None of the issues above are insurmountable tbh

Couldn’t agree more, all above are very small niggles that not even need mentioning, i can easy live with, if you compare these with other makes and models that let say others are better in these particular subjects but nothing comes close as drivability or reliability I won’t hesitate to buy another new Yaris hybrid, especially the latest model seems like one of the best small cars. I alway liked vag cars before for their solid feel, basic look and road handling but they simply have not even one good drive train to offer in any of theirs models. Yaris has the best automatic (hybrid) and best manual GR. 

• Like 2

I guess it depends on what you are comparing it with.  My previous car was an i20 and when I got my Yaris Hybrid I thought the turning circle was superb, much better then the i20, and visibility for parking excellent. I do agree about the headlights though!  Non of the other points bother me in the slightest.

I can't think of another car with the same reliable hybrid system that I would swap to. Toyota is the best hybrid design and all others not as good/proven. I know everyone is different on car choice but when I was choosing a newer car my first choice was, reliability, safety, cheap running costs and wanted to try a Hybrid. Happy so bought a 2015 Auris Hybrid TS.

I'm not a Merc or a BMW man. Looked online at a Skoda Octavia, very basic spec unless you buy one out of budget. Wanted Auto and petrol. Looked at Kia and all Diesel locally. Said they would ring next week and did but no petrol auto available! Never drove one. Also liked buying from Toyota main dealer as at least you get a 12 month warranty.

James👍 

• Thanks 1

I wholeheartedly agree with Frosty, Tony, and Hugh’s point about the headlights is a valid one, but as Frosty says it can be improved, but at the owners expense. It affects my driving in a rural area, more than it would affect the urban area driving through mostly lit up areas.

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, I knew there'd be replies!

The headlights issue has indeed been sorted, but it needs an aftermarket fix.  The originals are terrible.

The internal storage thing isn't a small car issue at all, as the Yaris isn't a small car.  I understand that previous versions of the Yaris (which were smaller) had better storage.  Had many cars over the years, and the Yaris is one of the bigger ones, and all the cars before this had better storage.

The TPS button seems like an add-on.  It looks like a temporary fitting and something they suddenly thought of and couldn't think where to put it.

I understand that if we were to set the odometer to KMs, the time would be in 24hr format.  The info is therefore there, it's just a menu item that needs adding on.

Speedometer at 10% high is right across the speed spectrum.  True 30mph is actually 27mph, but true 70mph is only 63mph.  We both have got to the habit of allowing for this so in a 30 limit, we drive at 33.  Having had many many cars in my driving career, the Yaris of ours is by far the worst.  If it's legal to be within 10% of the true speed, the Yaris is only just legal.  They have a 10% window, so 5% is the aiming point ................... but they missed.  The odometer is spot on, so the ability to get the speedo more accurate is there for the taking.

The turning circle is way too wide.  The poorest turning circle in a car that I've EVER driven.  I think that the turning circles in lower trim levels would be ok, but our Excel has wide 195/50 16 tyres so they've probably allowed for that with the steering rack.

Due to the steering lock and the terrible view out of the windows, the car is a pig to park.  Worst car I've ever had for parking.

As for the foglight thing, we've recently had a thread on here about it.  Rarely use the foglights, but if I did, I would want the rear one switched separately.

There's another niggle.  This one concerns the display.  If you make a phone call or answer one, the screen doesn't go off afterwards.  Ok, no issue with that, but in order to turn it off, you have to press a button on the side, then select "display" then select "screen off".  All it needs is one switch and not three separate operations.

None of the above issues are deal-breaking.  It's just when I look at the whole list, it gives me the impression that the "user interfaces" are poorly designed, and detract from an otherwise excellent car.

Mick.

Hi Mick, problem with hi-vis rear lights is that people tend to leave them on when they are not needed, that causes a high glare which is not good. In my experience, the rear hi vis lights only made available when front headlights are on. Hence when there is heavy rain, making visibility poor (and at the rear vis would be bad due to spray) put the headlights on and the rear hi vis can be turned on as well. Helps your car be seen by others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mick F said:

If it's legal to be within 10% of the true speed, the Yaris is only just legal.  

In the EU possibly. However, in the UK legislation differs in that for all actual speeds between 25 mph and 70 mph (or the vehicles' maximum speed if it is lower than this), the indicated speed must not exceed 110% of the actual speed, plus 6.25 mph. So  if the vehicle is actually traveling at 50 mph, the speedometer must not show more than 61.25 mph or less than 50 mph.

This has been covered before with you in previous topics.

Yes, I know.  I was perhaps over-simplifying, but it's still a valid point.

They know the time, and they know the distance, they know the speed, but the speedometer is 10% high - furthest out of any car we've owned.  It's so far out, it's noticeable, even without doing experimentations.

Mick.

Regarding “the tpms button” ...whilst I agree completely, and having a severely arthritic knee I have no chance of getting down there, I would say, as a general thought, the layout of all minor controls in the Yaris is a bit of a ‘dogs breakfast’.

The auto headlight switch, lane departure etc button off to the right...

The EV etc buttons down by the handbrake ....

These are all over the car, as if added as after thoughts, and are difficult to operate without taking your eyes of the road if only momentarily.

• Like 1

The speed difference it’s probably the best hidden extra you can get in the car. Saves a lot of risky drive past speed cameras especially when speed tolerance been reduced by the authorities to fine drivers for speeding while they only have 2 mph on top of the limit. I love that “safety future “ and don’t mind some nerds behind with “super accurate “ speedometers flashing or tailgating because I have been doing 27mph instead of 30 or as they would love 40+ mph 👍 Speed limits are max allowed, not a target 🏁🚙👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Speed limits are max allowed, not a target 🏁🚙👍

Utterly and completely agree with you.

I would like accurate info, and the speedometer is anything but accurate.  This day and age with all the gizmos and technology, they should be able to get the speedo spot on.

I understand that tyre pressures and that future owners could swap wheel/tyre combinations, and that the speed readout would therefore be wrong, but all this is compensate-able.  Our car is "as original" and the tyre pressures are correct .............. but the speedo steadfastly remains 10% low.

Sorry, I apologise. I'm harping on about this. 

Mick

Think we've done the speedometer issue to death with this and previous topics.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mick F said:

Utterly and completely agree with you.

I would like accurate info, and the speedometer is anything but accurate.  This day and age with all the gizmos and technology, they should be able to get the speedo spot on.

I understand that tyre pressures and that future owners could swap wheel/tyre combinations, and that the speed readout would therefore be wrong, but all this is compensate-able.  Our car is "as original" and the tyre pressures are correct .............. but the speedo steadfastly remains 10% low.

Sorry, I apologise. I'm harping on about this. 

Mick

I was suspicious the speedometer is off set a bit but found out the difference when start using an Android phone with google maps, they show you the speed limit and the actual speed of the car., kind of nice extra. If you really want to know your actual speed you can do the same , now I am back to iPhone and they don’t have it. Android phone with google maps does the job for the speed.👍📲

18 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think we've done the speedometer issue to death with this and previous topics.

Yes. All I was doing was answering the questions and points.

Speedo was only one of nine 'thoughts" I have about the car.  Seems like the other eight must be boring. 😀

Mick.