Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car with Toyota - software not loading

Chippy01

I took my 2019 hybrid Corolla saloon into my local Mr T for it's 3rd service yesterday evening.
I was informed by the service manager that while the car was being serviced, I will also be getting Android Auto loaded into the infotainment system. To do this, the nav system will also be needed to be updated as well.

No problem, says I. You do whatever needs to be done. After all, said updates are FOC.

Went in this evening to collect my car.

Service has been done.
Nav has been updated.
Android Auto needs 3 memory sticks worth of info to install, so I was informed.
But the first memory stick has gone into a loop and won't load for the mechanic.
He's now terrified of pulling the stick in case the sudden disconnection locks up the head unit rendering it useless. (It's €2,500 + vat + fitting for the head unit)
The service manager has had to contact Toyota Ireland for a work-around that will not cause damage to the head unit, and that will allow the Android Auto to load properly.
Apparently this issue has happened before somewhere in Europe.

So, I was given a loaner car for the weekend, and hopefully have my car back come Monday or Tuesday.

Has anyone here heard of this issue before??

If the stick is removed it will fail to update and reboot asking for the stick again - its not your problem if the dealer can't get it right or read the documents, the car is under warranty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've never heard of this but I wouldn't expect you to have to pay for anything given it failed during the update under their "custody" which unfortunately bricked the head unit.

I had mine done a couple of months a go and mine was the first done at the dealership.

• Like 1

Some updates can fail, as long as the LED isn't flashing you should be able to remove it, usb1 is the Harman intervention script it basically preps the system for the update

It may have failed due to the original firmware not being up to date

• Like 1

Basically they break your car, while in their possession,  as a result of their actions, the law prevents them charging you.

Its no different than dropping it off the ramps and then saying 'uh, its had an accident..£1,200 to fix thanks'..

Its worrying as well, that they appear so incapable,  is it a YTS run dealership  🤣

• Like 2

Got the car back today, with nav update and Android Auto loaded as well.

When I asked how they worked around the non-loading issue, they were advised from Toyota Ireland to do what you would do with a computer that refuses to play ball - unplug it, and plug it back in again.
And that did the trick.

• Thanks 2

Sound advice from Ireland, computer plays up, switch off, wait min 20 seconds, switch on, should be fine. Occasionally our Sky box freezes, so I do what written above.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1