Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing question

Will3001

Hi Folks

So I have a 2013 2.0 avensis diesel, EU model. I think this translates to a T27?

Am looking for some basic guidance 're servicing etc. Oil change, fuel air and cabin filters. Looks like I need an adaptor for the oil filter  and it's all from underneath. Gonna have a good rummage around to see but Ok I feed would be great.

Am fairly competent but always feel it's better to have what you think you know confirmed 

Thanks

Will 

Cabin and air filter easy. Oil filter in housing underneath covered by bottom engine cover this must released at the back and it folds down towards the front car must be quite high off ground so if no ramp available then it's quite tricky an adapter is required. The fuel filter is tucked away at the back and requires to be detached cartridge changed and then reassembled system then needs to be primed. Both oil and fuel filter jobs can be messy.

Edited by jimtaxi
Predictive spelling errors

You can drain both the oil filter and the fuel filter before you remove them. Put the drain plugs back in before you remove the housings and you won't make any mess.

Thanks Folks, 

So I spotted on a video a little adaptor that looks like it drains the oil filter before you open it, can anyine point me to same and are all the oil filter housing adaptors more or less the same.

Funny my own car is a BMW, can more or less service it standing up bar draining the oil.. 😁

Thanks

The little "adaptor" goes into the bottom of the oil filter. You need to remove the big nut on the bottom of the filter housing then, insert the plastic adaptor, that will allow the oil to flow out of the housing. 

When you buy a new filter, there will be an adaptor in the box along with two new seals.

Excellent thanks 

Seems like I'm set so just to get the housing adaptor

Will..

Yes but will be waiting till after new year in case there are any nasty custom surprises to purchase, always found it strange that despite the currency exchange and additional postage twas often cheaper to buy this stuff from UK..

Ah well..

Thanks

Will.

I have the petrol Valvematic and regularly change the oil on my car. I got my filter tool over 5 years ago. It is the same as Stephen linked to. 

P1000986.jpg

I have the tool too. But before I had it, I just used my big Stilson wrench to remove the filter housing. 

It's good to have the tool but, it's not absolutely necessary. 

• 2 weeks later...

i would have thought it a bit tight in space to maneuver a stilsen undr there and yes make sure u get that deep removal socket -filter tool as the first time i did this  jobbie i attacked with a too shallow socket ant i had to abandon till i sourced the correct socket filter removal tool,also a good wide six litre catch pan for the oil as that plasticky thingy dont do it  and anyway u have to remove the bottom drain to fit it anyway   hence be prepared  for spillage use an under plastic sheet and a pair of long sleeve marigolds  lol