Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Aygo - Beeping and flashing N when trying to reverse

wadi16

Hi all,

I have a 2020 x shift Aygo and over the last month my car has been beeping a lot more at me when I reverse out of the driveway and other places. 

I get about 5 or 6 beeps and N flashes on my dashboard when I try to engage reverse. After these beeps are done I am able to then reverse. 

It has become more frequent over the winter/colder days.

Sometimes it won't beep at all but other times it will - there doesn't seem to be a definitive pattern. I have read reasons from its too cold to its the MMT gearbox or loose wiring. 

Has anyone else had this issue? I have read online that some others have this same issue but when they are trying to drive off (not reverse).

Would love to know if someone on here has successfully solved this issue or has experience on it 

According to the owners manual, if the N is flashing and the warning buzzer beeping, move the gear lever to N and then to E, M or R, as appropriate. As the car is still under warranty, and this seems to be occuring frequently, get it booked into a Toyota dealer for investigation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I seem to recall that my MMT Aygo used to complain when I was a little too hasty with engaging gear and moving off, as it took a fair amount of time for the clutch mechanism to cycle.  Does the problem manifest itself when you’re moving off hastily? If so, then be a little more deliberate and see whether the problem goes away.  Otherwise speak to your friendly garage. 

my two previous aygos did this, and my current one does as well. I've never bothered to investigate it, as it seems to be a little quirk they all have. Let us know what your garage says if you book it in. The problem does seem to happen when I stop to change from E to R or vice versa, and I'm wondering if it doesn't like that changed too quickly. However its very difficult to avoid doing that. 

When our aygo with mmt did that a few years it got progressively worse and finally the mmt actuator got stuck a couple of times on the road and we had to change the actuator under guarantee. Please take it to the dealer if you are under guarantee as Frosty said. The second actuator is still working though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

When our aygo with mmt did that a few years it got progressively worse and finally the mmt actuator got stuck a couple of times on the road and we had to change the actuator under guarantee. Please take it to the dealer if you are under guarantee as Frosty said. The second actuator is still working though.

Thanks for that, I guess because I swap every three years its not become a really dangerous issue. I'll mention that at my next service.

16 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

16 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

This is really useful to know! My 1 year service isn't due till Feb and I have been working from home due to covid. I will definitely mention this issue as I'm under the 5 year warranty. Hopefully they will be able to pick up some error codes and fix it for me 🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links