Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mud Flaps

AKLZ

I couldn’t find any previous threads on this, so apologies if I missed one.

Does anyone have any photos of their Touring Sports with mudflats fitted? Looks like a full set is only £30ish which is very cheap compared to years ago when I last tried to buy some and they were £150 a set (for a Citroen!). 

Despite ‘googling’ I just can’t find any images that would be useful for me making the decision to buy them.

Also, any experiences of fitting / using them, even without photos?

Many thanks, as always! Great forum 🙂

Hi AKLZ

Here are my photos posted previously. I had these fitted at the dealer so no personal experience. 

In Nov 2019 the mud flaps cost £94.20 fitted, Bumper protection £75.94, & scuff Plates £160.12. A steal (from me from the garages point of view. 😠) but I didn't want any comeback on warranty etc.

Remember to tell your insurers, it may be considered a modification

20191214_131521.jpg

20200516_100452.jpg

20200516_100432.jpg

20200516_100411.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Jiff, thanks so much for this. This is *exactly* what I was hoping for. 

They look great, and I am sure I will add them to mine now. 

Fair point re: insurers / modifications, though I think mudflaps should be ok.

What exactly is "bumper protection"? And how do the scuff plates look?

Thanks in anticipation.

You can just see the bumper protection if you zoom into the rear of the main picture. Its a black plastic strip which covers the corner or the rear bumper to help protect it if you pull things in and out of the boot. I sit in the boot to take off muddy boots after a walk so it stops the boots from scratching the bumper, ( I can't bend to much nowadays 😄) its not much of a thing for the price. I think they do an aluminium version as well.

The scuff plates are similar for the door cills to help stop scratching them. The picture is from ebay, I think mine is similar the price was for front and rear doors. The car is at the doctors at the moment (Rodent ate my wiring) & I can't remember if it says Corolla or Hybrid 🤣.

Genuine Toyota Corolla Touring Sport Scuff Plates for sale online | eBay

• Like 1

Again thanks! I thought you meant front bumper. That looks really good - I will look into getting these!

Good looking accessories. 👍 All these including different alloy wheels sizes, patterns are classed as accessories and no need to be mentioned to your insurance. As long as they are standard sizes and genuine Toyota products. This what I have from Aviva last year, but if you in doubt ask your provider , they might have different policies. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Good looking accessories. 👍 All these including different alloy wheels sizes, patterns are classed as accessories and no need to be mentioned to your insurance. As long as they are standard sizes and genuine Toyota products. This what I have from Aviva last year, but if you in doubt ask your provider , they might have different policies. 

This is how you can get caught out unfortunately. What's ok for one insurer is not ok for another. Always ask your current insurer to be clear on anything you change or add to your vehicle. It's a mine field these days. Even adding a space saver wheel. It's getting stupid with some insurers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I fitted chrome door handles to mine. I haven't told my insurer though 🙂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AKLZ said:

I couldn’t find any previous threads on this, so apologies if I missed one.

Does anyone have any photos of their Touring Sports with mudflats fitted? Looks like a full set is only £30ish which is very cheap compared to years ago when I last tried to buy some and they were £150 a set (for a Citroen!). 

Despite ‘googling’ I just can’t find any images that would be useful for me making the decision to buy them.

Also, any experiences of fitting / using them, even without photos?

Many thanks, as always! Great forum 🙂

I did have some photos of a dealer demo car that had them, but unfortunately I’ve deleted them now. I remember they were quite small, and subtle. 

Try a search on autotrader (nationwide) for the same colour car as yours, one of them is bound to have them fitted 👍

I was told by insurers tell us anything that's different, for instance if you're say a Liverpool supporter and have a supporters badge fixed to the car, when you park in say Millwall or Chelsea etc. etc. your car may be more likely to be vandalised so they may up the premium. Also adding anything may increase the repair cost, for instance the mud flaps etc have a cost so they may not cover them if you hadn't told them. 

Just remember insurers don't like paying out money. Don't make it easy for them to find fault. I'm on page 3 of my notes re my rodent wiring damage claim at present. They told me they'd repair it but getting a piece of paper or email is proving difficult. I've already talked to my insurers and their underwriters, I think I'll soon be talking to the Lloyds "names" who actually pay 😖!

J

• Like 1

Mud flaps arrived - £27 from Toyota Official Store (on eBay), and arrived one day later in official Toyota box, so assume all good!

Will fit them this weekend 🙂

Acquiring (aftermarket)  rubber mats is the next job as we like lots of walks and although the official brand new Corolla carpet mats are excellent at resisting dirt / easy cleaning, I feel rubber will be better for winter walks... though I dont think they look as nice in the cabin. 

I’m happy to report that my official Toyota mud flaps arrived for the grand total of £32 (not £27 as per my post above) and were very easy to fit; taking me about 60 minutes in total (which includes generally taking my time, faffing, double checking instructions etc).

You do need a 10mm torque wrench ideally, which I had, but otherwise I think anyone could fit them.

‘They’re very secure once in place and I think they’re very svelte and unobtrusive.

The mud flaps on my last car did wear through the paint layer down to the plastic where they rested on the panels. Not an issue if you never remove the mud flaps, but the design on these is the same. Micro vibrations will eventually leave deep marks in the paint where they’re fitted (which won’t be visible if you don’t remove them). Worth noting if you planned to fit them just for the summer, for example (I don’t think anyone would ever fit mud flaps temporarily but I just mention it).

I’d post photos but I’m a little unsure whether the forum strips geotags before uploading and I need to get an app to do this first.

• Like 1

£32 for all 4 or only 2? I was about to purchase some last year as my car gets beautiful in winter motorways driving, but the price was uncomfortable high, plus I was in doubt about aerodynamics after putting 4 mud guards, perhaps will be insignificant but I just left that project unfinished. 
The picture of my car after few days work in the winter of 2018.

475DBE45-6D8D-4ED8-9544-E48E0BEF318C.jpeg

74A2516F-9CE9-40C3-8E03-DC551E3B64F7.jpeg

£32 for all 4, with all bolts and fixtures.

They won’t affect aerodynamics at all, they’re pretty small, but seem to do a very good job!

Oddly, the Auris ones from ToyotaUK are £49 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-OEM-Toyota-Auris-Hatchback-Front-Rear-Mud-Flap-Guard-Set-2014-Onwards-/321860401002?hash=item4af05ff76a

I can’t get a link to mine as they’re now sold out. 

EDIT; this might work?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Corolla-Front-Rear-Mudflaps-Set-Black-2019-5300802060-/223444042925?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

• Like 1

Thanks,, I just decided to leave as is. Not driving the car at the moment and it’s nice and clean🙂👍🚗

I decided to have mud flaps fitted to all tyres arches and they sort of work in that there is less muck on the car than before. However the rear hatchback door gets a liberal coating of mud/dirt but its less of an effort wiping it off using a sponge and small painters bucket. I suppose that also indicates that there is less muck  on the rear of the car. I live in Lincolnshire where tractors and HGV's leave a lot of mud and farm muck on the road so its a good test of how dirty your car can really get.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Ordered pair arrived today from Toyota, £33.99 for genuine parts seemed reasonable. 

Will attempt to fit these tomorrow and if anyone's interested these were the instructions that came with them.

20210317_145249.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...

Just ordered some myself. The instructions look interesting 😁

• Like 1

I acquired my GR sports 2L Corolla in the winter of 2020 and i more or less noticed straight away the quick build up of general dirt and crud towards the rear of the car after driving on any roads in South Lincs. I then  decided to have mud flaps fitted. Have they been effective? i would say yes but then this car is a dirt magnet so you will see less dirt on your vehicle but you might not notice. My approach is keep you vehicle washed regularly to stop the build up of general dirt.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Louie said:

My approach is keep you vehicle washed regularly to stop the build up of general dirt.

That's my approach too. It gets cleaned regular as clockwork every twelve months at the service 😄

Live's too short to wash my car. I keep the lights and windows clean but that's it. Beyond a point it stops getting any more dirty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I see that mostly the posts are of the TS. I have just purchased some genuine Toyota flaps, came with the same instructions as Roland1.

The fronts no problem but the rears seem so far out of line I questioned the online seller, supplied my VIN number and was assured they are the correct ones.

As seen in picture 1, there is a large gap between the bottom of the bodywork and the mudflap, the contour doesn't look right.
Picture 2 shows there is nothing to fit the 3rd tab to, it doesn't align with the slot for the spring clip.

Has anyone fitted these to a HB?

IMG_20210721_132510.jpg

IMG_20210721_132535.jpg

• Like 1

@50p I have fitted mud flaps to a 19 HB previously and the second photo doesn't look right, it should align with the clip. Should only need to screw into the wheel arch plastic if I remember correctly. I have since upgraded to a TS so can't show you photos unfortunately 

• Like 1

Just looked on Amazon and for the HB they show part number 5300802050

Online seller on e-bay shows part number 5300802060 .. as per link from AKLZ

Anyone know what the correct part number should be? Can't imagine a Toyota dealer would tell me if I wasn't actually buying them from them.

DavidTC, do you remember there being a gap, as in image1? Not a good picture but the flap is square and the bodywork is more curved, leaving an unsightly gap.

• Like 1

@50p against the bodywork there was no gap. Just had a look at my TS; there is a gap underneath but not along body work. The clip at the back is also a lot further forward so it appears the ones you have are for the TS. I can take photos if that will help

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DavidTC said:

@50p against the bodywork there was no gap. Just had a look at my TS; there is a gap underneath but not along body work. The clip at the back is also a lot further forward so it appears the ones you have are for the TS. I can take photos if that will help

Thanks, that's the conclusion I've come to. I have contacted my local Toyota spares agent who says I need part number 5300802050, not 5300802060 which is what I've been sent by the online spares people. I even gave them my VIN number and they said they would fit, now trying to get my money back.

• Like 1