Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newbie question - Corolla 1.4 GS (2000)

kingnothing

Just got given my first car from a friend and I thought they had given me all the service history but unfortunately, it only seems to be the history from 2000-2005. The car is MOTd until the beginning of next September but as I haven't passed my driving test yet, my car is sat there on the street and I'm a little concerned that bits and bobs may seize up. My question is, without knowing the exact service history on the car, should I be putting the car in for a service before I drive it or with it having an MOT until September, should I assume it will be ok for now. Sorry for the newbie question but I have zero mechanical knowledge. Thanks all,

Tom.

Hi,

If your friend cannot give you details of the last service, then yes it would be best to give it a full service to be sure.

If you are at all into diy, then such a service is do-able, this manual goes though all the service basics and advanced work.

https://haynes.com/en-gb/toyota/corolla/1997-2002?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvf7VrKLh7QIVwtPtCh2c6AuZEAQYASABEgI7qPD_BwE

You really do not want to leave it stood undriven for months as things like the brakes may sieze up in the usual salty,wet winter weather.

Best if you can take it for a 20min+ run each week, say you with a full licence holder ?

At least give it a gentle rev /warm up once a week to keep the engine flowing and help charge the Battery as that will likely go flat if left unused for too long,

• Like 1

Hi thanks for replying. I'm going to give my friend a call and see if they can give me details on the car's last service and hopefully that will give me a better idea. 

3 hours ago, oldcodger said:

If you are at all into diy, then such a service is do-able, this manual goes though all the service basics and advanced work.

I've actually just bought the Haynes manual but I don't have anywhere to work on the car at the moment. I just got the manual to give me a bit of a better understanding but it all looks a bit alien to me at the minute 😂

Best if you can take it for a 20min+ run each week, say you with a full licence holder ?

There's nobody else in the house who has a license so I'm relying on friends to give it a quick drive at the moment but even that is difficult with the restrictions due to the pandemic. 

At least give it a gentle rev /warm up once a week to keep the engine flowing and help charge the battery as that will likely go flat if left unused for too long,

I have been letting the engine run for 15 minutes once a week to keep the Battery charged so at least there's that. 

You really do not want to leave it stood undriven for months as things like the brakes may sieze up in the usual salty,wet winter weather.

I've got my test on New Years eve so hopefully I'll pass and it won't get to a point where my brakes will seize up but I will try to get a friend to sit in with me while I drive it to get things moving. 

Thanks for your help,

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

The first part of the Haynes manual deals with the routine service work , so just concentate on that for now, get to know the basics like tyre presures and how to check the oil, coolant and brake fuild levels.

When you get chance to run the engine, if you can, without too much noise, keep the engine running at about 1500rpm, as if you just let it tickover, the alternator my not produce enough power to charge the Battery properly,  it also helps push the coolant and oils around the pipes and engine better.

Good luck with the test ,  let us know how you get on.  🤞 :smile:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Good luck with the test ,  let us know how you get on.  🤞 :smile:

Thanks and I will do.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links