Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Auris Cranking but no start - Fuel Pump Relay Location

justinbarrow

I have a 2007 Toyota Auris that will crank but not start it was running fine the other day left overnight and will not start. I can hear the fuel pump engage and run, there is a spark to the plugs and ive disconnected and cleaned the air flow sensor but still no start.

I cant get the car into a garage until after Christmas and my wife will need this over the christmas period as she travels to various care homes to work.

There is a smell of fuel under the bonnet and when I've cranked the engine so thinking this could be flooded? not sure how this would happen though although the wife started the car very briefly to move it back for our neighbour so not sure.

Can anyone tell me where the fuel pump relay is as I am going to change the plugs and wanted to crank it over without the fuel pump adding even more fuel, if anyone can help this would be great or if there is anything else I could check. I have scanned for codes with a generic reader and no codes are stored so its confusing. 

Thanks everyone.

Hi, yes she had flooded the car with petrol and this happens when start the car especially in colder days run the engine for 1-2 minutes and turned off. Big mistake ., now to get it going again all you have to do is the following procedure: 

Remove spark plugs

disconnect the fuel injectors so fuel supply is cut off 

cover the engine with some old towel to stop eventually fuel goes everywhere 

crank the engine few times so you can get all liquid fuel out

put back spark plugs in, connect the wires for the injectors and start the car as normal., let it run for at least 15 min 

While doing this a good idea is to clean the throttle body too, if you have no time you can do that at later date 

Remember and make note to your wife:

Once you start the engine never turn it off before let it run for 10 minutes in winter and 5 minutes in summer., this applies for all petrol engines including hybrid ones. 
If you not confident doing the job you have no choice but to leave the car for two days and may start afterwards, but if it doesn’t start from first time just don’t try over again. 
Regards 

• Thanks 1

There's an easier way, foot on the 'gas' pedal to the floor whilst cranking the engine until it starts, this could take 30 seconds or so.

• Thanks 1

I was going to say, foot on clutch to ease the load and then just hold the starter for up to 20 seconds. It should fire eventually. This is a well known issue but not one I have experienced despite on rare occasions having not just moved the car once but three or four times and all running for only perhaps 15 seconds a time. Never any issue, starting always instant. That is on a 1.4L Corolla.

Why foot on the accelerator? I thought that was a throwback to carburettors rather than electronically controlled throttle bodies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, yes she had flooded the car with petrol and this happens when start the car especially in colder days run the engine for 1-2 minutes and turned off. Big mistake ., now to get it going again all you have to do is the following procedure: 

Remove spark plugs

disconnect the fuel injectors so fuel supply is cut off 

cover the engine with some old towel to stop eventually fuel goes everywhere 

crank the engine few times so you can get all liquid fuel out

put back spark plugs in, connect the wires for the injectors and start the car as normal., let it run for at least 15 min 

While doing this a good idea is to clean the throttle body too, if you have no time you can do that at later date 

Remember and make note to your wife:

Once you start the engine never turn it off before let it run for 10 minutes in winter and 5 minutes in summer., this applies for all petrol engines including hybrid ones. 
If you not confident doing the job you have no choice but to leave the car for two days and may start afterwards, but if it doesn’t start from first time just don’t try over again. 
Regards 

If you are going to do that, you have to isolate the ignition system, one spark from a lead to earth and it'll go up like a bomb.

I've seen it happen, it's not funny.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mooly said:

I was going to say, foot on clutch to ease the load and then just hold the starter for up to 20 seconds. It should fire eventually. This is a well known issue but not one I have experienced despite on rare occasions having not just moved the car once but three or four times and all running for only perhaps 15 seconds a time. Never any issue, starting always instant. That is on a 1.4L Corolla.

Why foot on the accelerator? I thought that was a throwback to carburettors rather than electronically controlled throttle bodies. 

No, still used on modern efi engines, by doing so the engine control module 'shuts off' fuel delivery into the chambers to prevent more 'flooding' thereby aiding the engine to a spluttering start, once that stage is reached the accelerator pedal can be eased off a little until the engine runs smoothly once again. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the help. I managed to get her started but had to change the plugs as the car has always has Toyota services at the dealler up until two years ago when I decided due to the age of the car I would get it done independently, however I asked them to change the plugs two years ago (when the plugs at the time would of been near to five years old) but It appears that they were not done as they were in a right state. 

The car was as pointed out flooded so took the old plugs out and cranked it for about a minute then put the new plugs in and cranked it over (took about 50 seconds of cranking) then  she came back to life.

I was so relieved because I managed to do this on xmas eve and my wife works in the health service and needs the car to travel to various sites over the xmas period so it was a huge relief as nobody wanted to touch it until the new year so thank you for all the help - really apricated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Job well done. Luckily it was not anything serious.

Toyota recomends NGK plugs for the Auris, they should be good for 100k mile, no need to change them on 5 year basis, unless you do that mileage.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, furtula said:

Job well done. Luckily it was not anything serious.

Toyota recomends NGK plugs for the Auris, they should be good for 100k mile, no need to change them on 5 year basis, unless you do that mileage.

Thank you, the car has just done 94,000 and I fitted the NGK Iridium plugs, needed a thin 14mm spark socket though to get them out then a socket that bends as the engine is put in and sits at a slight tilted angle so couldn't get the usual straight socket in.

Good to know about the 100k lifespan, that is long life - mind you they were about £50 but worth it 🙂

I'm just trying to hold onto her as long as possible before we are all forced into buying electric from 2030.

Thanks again everyone.