Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 Yaris - Rust issues

Gemma00

My oh-so-lovely 2008 Yaris has failed an MOT due to corrosion. I have had the car for a couple of years and knew it had a bit of rust but never thought it's that bad (the mechanic said he was shocked). The car is uneconommical to fix according to them so they are recommending to sell it(not to them or through them). Might be a bit of a daft question really but a lot of people around me are suggesting that they are not being honest about the car's condition. I personally believe the MOT so my question is - would they have any benifit for me selling the car? Has anyone got the same issue and do you know what it's due to?

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is inadequately repaired (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is inadequately repaired (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm corroded and seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Front Sub-frame corroded and seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Front Macpherson strut corroded but not seriously weakened Offside & nearside (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced Offside & nearside / front to rear (6.1.1 (c) (i))

Our 2001 Yaris has just bit the dust with Rust issues.

Built in France it was but, I cannot blame the French, sadly.

• Like 1

The failed MOT certificate should detail the exact issues flagged. The word 'corrosion' in itself doesn't necessarily give much clue as to where the problems are and how bad they are.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gemma00 said:

My oh-so-lovely 2008 Yaris has failed an MOT due to corrosion. I have had the car for a couple of years and knew it had a bit of rust but never thought it's that bad (the mechanic said he was shocked). The car is uneconommical to fix according to them so they are recommending to sell it(not to them or through them). Might be a bit of a daft question really but a lot of people around me are suggesting that they are not being honest about the car's condition. I personally believe the MOT so my question is - would they have any benifit for me selling the car? Has anyone got the same issue and do you know what it's due to?

Sounds like it was a flood car 10's of 1000's of cars got written off back in 2016/17 - some got put back on the road, i looked at an Insignia for a friend it looked good from the outside but was rotten underneath it must have had a bent MOT on it too

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mooly said:

The failed MOT certificate should detail the exact issues flagged. The word 'corrosion' in itself doesn't necessarily give much clue as to where the problems are and how bad they are.

Good point.. I guess I missed that. 

• Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is inadequately repaired (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is inadequately repaired (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Lower Suspension arm corroded and seriously weakened (5.3.3 (b) (i))

• Front Macpherson strut corroded but not seriously weakened Offside & nearside (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Vehicle structure is corroded but structural rigidity is not significantly reduced Offside & nearside / front to rear (6.1.1 (c) (i))

1 hour ago, Gemma00 said:

1 hour ago, Gemma00 said:

Not sure if Toyota’s of that year were covered with a 12 year perforation warranty to the bodywork but if it was I would definitely contact a Toyota dealer if not contact Toyota customer services and complain they should not rot like that within 12 years.

it helps to preserve a cars underside by thoroughly hosing the underside and wheel arches especially during the winter months

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Sounds like it was a flood car 10's of 1000's of cars got written off back in 2016/17 - some got put back on the road, i looked at an Insignia for a friend it looked good from the outside but was rotten underneath it must have had a bent MOT on it too

I’ve seen plenty of cars with bent mot’s I had a rav 4 T180 that should not have had an mot some of what I call back street dealers usually have an agreement with there local mot centre ( you scratch my back and I’ll scratch yours)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gemma00 said:

Good point.. I guess I missed that. 

Thanks.

OK, so that doesn't sound good. The corrosion to subframes is a major item that may not be easily repairable (and not cost effective). Also worthy of note is the comments suggesting previous repairs have been carried out. 

As you have only had the car a couple of years it would be worth you looking back at its MOT history. You can do that in seconds here and only need the reg number:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

You might some inkling of issues developing.

• Like 1

That sort of rot doesn't happen overnight, salt water will corrode steel quickly The first 2 letters of the reg will tell you where it originally comes from

• Like 1

My 2006 was starting to surface rust underneath. I put the chemical rust treatment on first to neutralise the rust. Then painted with Hammerite underbody underseal with Waxoil. It is an unpleasant job so I did a bit each day over the summer. Will keep it going for a few more years.

• Like 1