Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Apple Carplay via Bluetooth adapter?

TescoExpress

Hey everyone,

So after weeks of searching I finally managed to get my hands on a new X-touch screen from the Facelift Aygo that has Apple Carplay and its now been installed into my 2015 Toyota Aygo and I am very happy!

My questions is, is anyone using an adapter to allow Carplay to work wirelessly without the charging cable? I have seen some adapters on eBay but they say they do not work with Factory fitted screens and only android based ones, just wondered if anyone had any luck with any adapters?

Thanks!

I bought a cplay2air adapter during their recent Black Friday promotion and am pleasantly surprised by it.  It initially connects my iPhone and head-unit by bluetooth, before then switching to its own WiFi for the streaming. 

Unlike the cheap eBay offerings which have swathes of negative reviews, the cplay2air seemed to have a lot of positive reviews and firmware updates seem to be regular to add new model compatibility.

It works well with the Aygo, but I do get some audio glitches but I’m not sure they’re any more prevalent than you’d get with a standard bluetooth connection. 

Siri works perfectly and all the steering wheel controls operate as expected.

Overall a reserved recommendation, but I’m deferring a wholehearted recommendation until I ascertain whether the glitching is down to the dongle of my ‘phone. 

I've been using the cplay2air adapter from the day after I got my Aygo at the end of October, and am very pleased with it.

I'm not experiencing the audio glitches that S_J_P is having so I can give an unreserved recommendation - I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro if that makes any difference?

Thanks both. I have seen mixed reviews on the cplay2air adapters. I have heard about this "audio glitch" but then again without trying I wont know!

Will give this adapter a go and report back. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Did you give the CarPlay adaptor a go? I’m still suffering audio glitches, and the occasional trip where the adaptor relentlessly disconnects requiring the USB to be pulled to reset it.

I now understand why they have such glowing reviews, I left a 3 star review and it has never been published! They obviously only publish the 5 star reviews 😡

41 minutes ago, S_J_P said:

I now understand why they have such glowing reviews, I left a 3 star review and it has never been published! They obviously only publish the 5 star reviews 😡

That's not good 👎

I decided to try it after seeing this thread, so far it works fine for me. I was getting more bluetooth glitches without this adapter.

18 hours ago, Wiz201 said:

I decided to try it after seeing this thread, so far it works fine for me. I was getting more bluetooth glitches without this adapter.

I shall revert to the cable for a week and see whether the glitching remains....

• 3 months later...

Well, six months after purchasing the CPlay2Air adapter it has “bricked” following a firmware update 😡, reading online this seems to be quite a common occurrence.  I now have to return the adapter at my own expense to China for a replacement to be dispatched so it seems I may be without wireless CapPlay for a month or two.

To anyone who has one, avoid the May firmware update at all costs! In fact unless there’s a good reason to update (I.e. it doesn’t work), don’t update at all!

• Like 2

On 5/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, S_J_P said:

Well, six months after purchasing the CPlay2Air adapter it has “bricked” following a firmware update 😡, reading online this seems to be quite a common occurrence.  I now have to return the adapter at my own expense to China for a replacement to be dispatched so it seems I may be without wireless CapPlay for a month or two.

To anyone who has one, avoid the May firmware update at all costs! In fact unless there’s a good reason to update (I.e. it doesn’t work), don’t update at all!

Thanks for the warning, I haven't been updating it at all, so won't bother knowing the May update. Perhaps you could wait for a fix and then try updating it again?

• 1 year later...

If you get the Wi-Fi Connection error after an update on your CarPlay Adapter…have a look on this guys website and YouTube https://www.carplaylife.com

He has videos and downloads on restoring the Adaptor to a previous working firmware version.

this is last year's update, so it could well be working now although I haven't bothered to update mine