Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor MPG for Yaris Hybrid

Rakesh Vohra

I am new here and posting 1st time

I have bough a 18 plate Yaris Excel Hybrid with only 8000 miles

I am a very careful mature driver and i am taking care of everything possible to get a better MPG but its not working at all

No sharp braking or accleration ,always in eco mode ,trying to be in EV mode as much as possible ,tire pressure ,planning ahead etc

but since i have bought it best MPG it has returned is 44 mpg in town and have done about 600 miles locally but its always returning about 44-45 mpg

can anyone help /advise whats wrong with car ?it should do more miles i think

Thanks

Certainly should do better than that.  My 2016 Yaris Icon Hybrid is returning 57 mpg on mainly short (2 to 10 mile trips). I don't bother with ECO mode these days, I find it doesn't really improve the MPG, just makes the car less responsive.  I believe the Excel is slightly less economical than the Icon due to the different wheels and tyres but I wouldn't have expected it to be more than 1-2 MPG worse. Are the brakes binding perhaps?

Thanks ,I dont know

offically toyota claims 78mpg

i am getting just over half of that

even 57 is on lesser side (local)

4 minutes ago, Rakesh Vohra said:

Thanks ,I dont know

offically toyota claims 78mpg

i am getting just over half of that

even 57 is on lesser side (local)

Read this maestro!   https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/toyota/yaris-2011

• Like 1

Hi, don’t say you were talking seriously when mentioned the official figures, getting close to those it’s almost impossible. Check the tyre pressure, set them when cold to the correct value, no more, no less. Use quality fuel BP or put some fuel additives. Turn off Eco mode, just drive the car in standard mode and don’t try to be in EV mode as much as you can because this is not an ev car and you won’t get better efficiency. Research how to drive economically a Toyota hybrid, technics called pull and glide it’s important here, don’t forget that when is cold mpg can drop 10-15mpg or even more especially if you driving short journeys in town. 45mpg in colder days in a stop start driving it’s normal. 50mpg winter and 60mpg summer is more realistic IMO. 👍
Regards 

• Like 1

Those official figures are likely on the old testing regime, before WLTP, and therefore less realistic. 

MPG will always be a lot worse this time of year as batteries don’t work as well in the cold, and you are asking more of the cars systems - heating, lights, heated screens etc. 

checking tyre pressures is worthwhile, as that will make a difference. 

If you are only doing trips of a few miles, that will massively affect the cars ability to get into EV mode. I find with my 2.0 Corolla that on a journey of 2-3 miles in this weather I only get around 30mpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, don’t say you were talking seriously when mentioned the official figures, getting close to those it’s almost impossible. Check the tyre pressure, set them when cold to the correct value, no more, no less. Use quality fuel BP or put some fuel additives. Turn off Eco mode, just drive the car in standard mode and don’t try to be in EV mode as much as you can because this is not an ev car and you won’t get better efficiency. Research how to drive economically a Toyota hybrid, technics called pull and glide it’s important here, don’t forget that when is cold mpg can drop 10-15mpg or even more especially if you driving short journeys in town. 45mpg in colder days in a stop start driving it’s normal. 50mpg winter and 60mpg summer is more realistic IMO. 👍
Regards 

An excellent and succinct appraisal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have a look at Toyota GB's tips for hybrid fuel economy - https://blog.toyota.co.uk/hybrid-driving-technique-toyotas-top-tips-for-achieving-the-best-fuel-economy-in-your-hybrid

The official fuel consumption figures are obtained using laboratory testing regimes and are intended to provide a standard comparison between models. They don't represent what owners may achieve in the real world. Legally car manufacturers and dealers have to use these figures when advertising and selling cars.

• Like 2

Thanks to all who has replied and advised

I am not saying it should give 78mpg as claimed by toyota but dont you think 44mpg (local ) is less than what is expected from a hybrid car ?

Thing is i am already following all the tips from people and from toyota so what i am suppose to do ?

do you think i should take it to main dealer and ask for a check ?would they charge for it or would it be covered under warranty ?

cheers

Service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. When was it last serviced? Did you buy the car from a dealer, Toyota or otherwise?

• Like 1

serviced at 4800 miles

its 8000 miles now but has been 18 months since last service

13 minutes ago, Rakesh Vohra said:

serviced at 4800 miles

its 8000 miles now but has been 18 months since last service

OK as it is low mileage, it should be serviced every 12 months - so the second service is 6 months overdue. 

As stated previously service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Intermediate services are due at 1 year/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000 miles, etc, and Full services at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc.

In the first instance, I would look to get the Full service done and then see how it is as regards fuel consumption.

As regards the overdue service, this will have an effect on the Toyota new car warranty - basically a warranty claim which is dependent on correct servicing being done, may be refused.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

OK as it is low mileage, it should be serviced every 12 months - so the second service is 6 months overdue. 

As stated previously service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Intermediate services are due at 1 year/10,000 miles, 3 years/30,000 miles, etc, and Full services at 2 years/20,000 miles, 4 years/40,000 miles, etc.

In the first instance, I would look to get the Full service done and then see how it is as regards fuel consumption.

As regards the overdue service, this will have an effect on the Toyota new car warranty - basically a warranty claim which is dependent on correct servicing being done, may be refused.

Any Toyota allowance for Covid FB ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, john p williams said:

Any Toyota allowance for Covid FB ?

There was during lockdown (23rd March 20 - 1st June 20). However, as the car was supposedly last serviced 18 months ago (June 2019?), I can't see this would apply as the timeframe doesn't seem to fit.

• Like 1

As well as all mentioned above, there is some more detail to two points mentioned above.

The government tests (used to be, maybe still are, this might have changed for the most recent mpg tests) are done on a test car that has been stored at exactly 25 centigrade for 24 hours prior to the test.  This is yet another reason for the government mpg figures to just be a guide.

The car's computer puts your comfort and safety (demisting windows) above fuel saving, so when the cabin is cold, and the selected heater temperature has not been reached, then the engine will run to warm the cabin, possibly overriding some of its hybrid fuel-saving abilities!  In practical terms, this means the car will be prevented from stopping the petrol engine as often as it would if the heater temperature was set lower, (or if the weather was warmer!) 

This will definitely affect the mpg as the weather gets colder, and more so in an urban environment, when the lightly loaded engine doesn't generate as much heat in normal use!

Using the heated seats (if fitted) and lowering the heater temperature can work in your favour here!

• Like 1

what sort of mpg other yaris hybrid owners are getting at the moment in december ?is 44-45 mpg satasfoctry this time of the year ?

Mid 50's this time of year into the mid 60's during the warmer weather, it may take time before your driving style adjusts i use about the top 1/4 of the throttle let the car coast up to junctions lights and down hill (in D) it's all about smoothness

look at the bar graph on the touch screen after a journey, and you will see where you're going wrong mpg on the touch screen is fairly close to what i have on paper, reset the trips and clear the graphs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am getting 58mpg at the moment dropped from about 65mpg in the warmer weather

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

Mid 50's this time of year into the mid 60's during the warmer weather, it may take time before your driving style adjusts i use about the top 1/4 of the throttle let the car coast up to junctions lights and down hill (in D) it's all about smoothness

look at the bar graph on the touch screen after a journey, and you will see where you're going wrong mpg on the touch screen is fairly close to what i have on paper, reset the trips and clear the graphs

Thanks ,doing the same ,very gentle on throttle and lots of coasting

have done trip resets but still struggle to get around 44-45 mpg

The graphs shows lots of 100 mpg as well  (EV mode )😪 but overall its 45mpg

Try turning the cabin heater down, it makes a lot of difference to winter mpg.

Thanks ,yes thats what i was thinking ,how much mpg you are getting this time of the year with heater ON ?

Short 5 mile trip around town this time of year 40 to 45 mpg. 20 mile commute to work on 50 50 motorway town driving 55 to 60 mpg.

Thats in normal driving mode with climate set to 22 c in auto with aircon on.

I can add 5 to 10 mpg in summer 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No need to turn heating down as long as keeping it around 20-22C°, your engine will run more in colder days anyway as it’s needs extra time to warm up to its operational temperature. Always some people will get more, some less mpg because everyone driving needs are different and consequently car uses are different. You are doing extremely short journeys and your car is ultra low miles, don’t skip any service though, it’s important for the health of your car and try to use the car as much as you can. Your fuel consumption is absolutely fine and there is nothing to worry about. If you compare with others , ask yourself a question: how do I use the car? Do experiment: fill up the tank, reset odometer daily counter, reset mpg counter, drive the car in town a bit then go on the motorway and some as roads , drive normally as usual in normal mode, drive the car for few hours then go back to the same pump at the same garage, fill up again and check your miles, do your maths and compare with mpg display, then you can see for yourself real consumption and you can share with us here. 
Regards 

• Thanks 1