Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poor MPG for Yaris Hybrid

Rakesh Vohra

Often get 40odd mpg with ours.

Nothing much to do with aircon or style of driving, but HILLS, and here's lots of them here.

Longer journeys we get 50odd or even 60 ish as roads open out. Locally, any car would suffer in the economy stakes.

Mick.

• Thanks 1

Hybrids are most economical in town driving and A & B roads where speeds are not excessive and acceleration can be smooth., however as any car with ICE these need to be driven 30+ or even 60 minutes at a time to get most out of it. If you drive them short town trips like 10-15min then even hybrids are not suitable, only full ev can be efficient in that type of journeys. My Auris fully loaded with passengers and luggage speeds over 75mph on motorways and air con on as outside temperatures were hot around 40c° and consumption was unbelievable low. , talking about hours of driving like that. Another example, now in colder weather I still get 50+ mpg, and I can get even more but because when not driving I keep the car ON for heating and electricity supply sometimes for many hours during the night. All in all more you drive your car more mpg you will get. Back in the days when was a cabbie in London driving in the night I very often got close or even better than the official figures for Prius . 

C317DBA5-F8B3-4288-8893-DA8DBF481373.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Short 5 mile trip around town this time of year 40 to 45 mpg. 20 mile commute to work on 50 50 motorway town driving 55 to 60 mpg.

Thats in normal driving mode with climate set to 22 c in auto with aircon on.

I can add 5 to 10 mpg in summer 

thanks

and you got 19 plate yaris hybrid ?so most of yaris hybrid owners are getting around 45mpg mark this time of the year (local )?

2 hours ago, Rakesh Vohra said:

thanks

and you got 19 plate yaris hybrid ?so most of yaris hybrid owners are getting around 45mpg mark this time of the year (local )?

Yes 19 plate yaris icon tech hybrid new in October 19 serviced at 8000 miles in October 20 currently on 9000 miles. I don’t particularly drive it with economy in mind just drive normally  and let the car take care of itself.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rakesh Vohra said:

thanks

On a long run in October I got 60.09mpg driving on motorway and A roads and with my right foot a little bit heavier than I normally drive. However in December driving as I usually drive which is using everything I know to get as much mpg as possible I only got 41.04mpg. Cold weather short hilly runs all those things contribute to low mpg.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

On a long run in October I got 60.09mpg driving on motorway and A roads and with my right foot a little bit heavier than I normally drive. However in December driving as I usually drive which is using everything I know to get as much mpg as possible I only got 41.04mpg. Cold weather short hilly runs all those things contribute to low mpg.

This sounds convincing to me and making me believe that i am alone who gets low mpg in this time of the year

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2015 Yaris Hybrid and have experienced the temperature related mpg variation but your figures still seem very low. The highest average I hit was 71.9, in the last 4-6 weeks since the weather turned it has been slowly dropping but I still show 70.7. 

Mainly local journeys with gentle driving. Very uncommon to exceed 60mph as there are no motorways in my region (Suffolk). I try to keep within the ECO sector on the ‘Rev counter’ and use ECO mode. AC use is fairly consistent, in summer to cool the car and in winter to demist. 

Double check your tyre pressures. I had my fronts replaced about three months ago (Continental EcoContacts) and my avg MPG started dropping almost immediately. I checked and the tyres were about 5psi below the Eco values I previously used. It really makes a big difference.

I follow the 1 year or 10,000 mile service intervals and use my local Toyota dealer. I intend to run the car to the end of its life so this will end up benefitting me. Their prices aren’t unreasonable either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Superjohn,

Bring your Yaris Hybrid down to Devon and Cornwall ............. after the lock-down, that is! ................. and check your MPG after you've had a drive here.

We live in a valley and our house is at 200ft elevation.  Go west out of the valley and we climb to 1,000ft in a couple of miles.  Go east, and we climb to 500ft in a couple of miles.  Even after climbing out of the valley, the ups and downs of the hills are relentless.

Mick.

Just to update

done everything possibly i can

Tire pressure,no extra load,no sharp acceleration or brakes ,very nice and gentle drive ,;loads of gliding ,heating temp 21

its 46mpg local

and 54mpg  on motorway drive today (about 50 mile trip )

car is 18 plate and done only 8.5K

is it like normal mpg in this kind of weather ?

what are peoples view on this please

Drove to the local hospital this morning in temperatures below freezing so drove very carefully and checked MPG indicated on the in car display and it indicated 62 mpg. The journey 15 miles or so. I know this will not be as accurate as “full tank to full tank” but it’s an indication. Car is 2019 Yaris Hybrid Exel.

Surely this is just repeating your original query. 

You said previously that the car was last serviced 18months ago at 4,500 miles, and you were advised the car is overdue it's second service by 6 months. This service (due at either 2 years of age or 20,000 miles, whichever occurred first) would have been a Full service, and may help with your consumption issue.

So has the car been serviced recently??

8500 miles the engine isn't even run in, its still very tight, as above an oil change is a must

12-15K miles the mpg will improve, As before mid 50's this time of year 90% being local short trips

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Fuel economy is always low at this time of year.

Town driving (30-40 MPH) I get 45-55 computer MPG.

Last week I did 100 mile round-trip (yes, legal in the current situation!) and computer reported 61 MPG despite heater use and OAT of +3 deg. C.

Get it serviced!! Oil change AT A MINIMUM if you don't care about warranty (but I'd have it serviced properly if you want to ensure reliability).

What are the new LiIon Yaris seeing?? I want a test drive, but not at the moment!

• 10 months later...

Hi Rajesh, did you ever find what the problem was?  I have same model but icon version. Bought it 6 months back and initially car always return between 55-61mpg. But since last 6 weeks it’s returning around 44mpg. Weather has got colder but it doesn’t account for such a big change. Thinking what to do…Vishal

44mpg does seem a bit low, I would expect low 50s at this time of year.  Have you checked your tyre pressures?  Pressures will drop in current cold weather and can have a significant effect on economy.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vishal Aggarwal said:

Hi Rajesh, did you ever find what the problem was?  I have same model but icon version. Bought it 6 months back and initially car always return between 55-61mpg. But since last 6 weeks it’s returning around 44mpg. Weather has got colder but it doesn’t account for such a big change. Thinking what to do…Vishal

Hello Vishal

basically there is nothing wrong in cars or mileage etc

in nutshell ,warmer the weather better the mpg

i bought the car last year in december ,so weather was very cold and they way these hypbrids are designied the engine has to be on Very high Revs to keep the hybrid Battery charged

In summer if you leave the car with engine on its takes very long for the engine to kick in (it runs on Battery power)

But in winter it doesnt take very long before engine kicks in (very high revs )

so that effects the MPG

Iwas only getting around 45mpg between december to feb but as weather gets warmer from March onwars mpg was hitting around 63-65mpg untill october when weather gets colder again

so my suggestion is dont waste money on anything but just relax as its normal and wait until March and you will see big jump in mpg

hope this helps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rakesh. That’s very helpful. Yes now you mentioned it I have noticed that engine is running a lot more now than it was in the summer when it seemed to run for 30% of time on Battery. I was very happy when I was getting 60mpg. 44mpg seems very poor in comparison but I guess over the year it will average out to over 50mpg which is still pretty good. 

I've been finding having the climate control on really hits the mpg in my Mk4 unless I'm on the motorway - In summer the engine doesn't run much, but at the moment it runs a lot more, and sometimes just runs without charging the Battery or pushing the car forwards just to try and bring the heat up, which is just a massive waste of fuel...

I suspect part of the problem is it runs in Atkinson/Miller cycle mode when it's trying to generate heat, but that has the same problem as diesel, i.e. very little waste heat, so it has to burn a lot more fuel to produce the same heat.

It's a real shame they didn't offer heated seats/steering wheel or PTC heating as that would have helped a lot I suspect... Thankfully I'm a cold weather person, and until fuel prices stop being stupid I've resorted to leaving the HVAC off and wearing a thicker coat :laugh: 

Winter is harsh on the hybrids, they like to keep themselves somewhat warm and will work hard to get there.

With the help of a Scangauge, I've found some tricks that will really help is this weather.

The first thing to know is that the car when it first starts will use the Battery for the first minute or so. It runs the engine in a very inefficient mode (very late timing) to generate exhaust heat to warm up the catalytic converters. I've found that actually, letting it idle for about a minute (you hear the engine sound suddenly change), the car will be using engine power to pull away. You won't waste that initial power either, the car will have been charging the Battery a bit in the process too. Otherwise, it'll want to run the engine to replace the used power anyway.

You can find more info on the warmup stages here: https://priuschat.com/threads/gen3-warming-up-stages.76501/

ECO mode is very helpful, as it lets the car go into EV mode a lot more when you're coasting and at stops especially. I've found that the car will run the engine to heat the coolant well past 60c if you're not in ECO mode, whereas it'll start allowing EV mode at about 40c coolant temperature if the heating is turned down/off. If you can bear to do a few minutes of driving, then use the heating, you'll find the car is blowing much warmer, and you're not running the engine is much.

Equally, the car is generally quite efficient, and drops will often be made up for on longer journeys, so don't make yourself uncomfortable for the sake of it.

The one thing I wished my Yaris had is heated seats, they're a great way of keeping you warm, and popular in the Auris/Prius.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

It's a real shame they didn't offer heated seats/steering wheel or PTC heating as that would have helped a lot I suspect... Thankfully I'm a cold weather person, and until fuel prices stop being stupid I've resorted to leaving the HVAC off and wearing a thicker coat :laugh: 

You'll be keeping yer coat a long time (stupid fuel prices), methinks !

The heated seats are available on the French market Yaris on the top specification models, and IIRC on the middle to high spec models in Belgium. I won't have them on my Design spec, but I wasn't going to pay 2500 € to have them when there were also things I didn't want at the same time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

I think most of the Toyota hybrids do have PTC heaters. I could be wrong though. The Prius definitely does in some iterations.

Though, AFAIK, they're a few hundred watts at full chat, so only really for taking the chill off.

Oh, is that all? I thought they were more than that, like around a hairdryer! Not really worth it for less than a kW...