Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017 Toyota Auris Tourer

keidal

Hello, my wife recently bought a secondhand extremely low mileage Tourer trading in her 2017 Nissan Juke, also with low miles. The reason being that the Juke's warning lights, engine wouldn't start and door locks were constantly unreliable and extremely annoying and frustrating.

Guess what, exactly the same problems with this Auris Tourer. She never knows what's going to happen, warning lights come on and go off for no apparent reason, the engine sometimes won't start etc. It even sometimes tells her to brake, after she has done so. 

All of this is extremely annoying, frustrating, possibly dangerous and in my opinion absolutely stupid. 

Why there is so much pointless and irritating electronic gadgetry on modern cars is beyond me. Ok you'll tell me they are safety features; few of them might be but the rest are purely there for idiots. If they were reliable, perhaps there's an excuse but they are most certainly not. Her car has only done 10k miles.

If she "jiggles" the key in the ignition switch they sometimes go away and sulk. To lock a door it has to be opened and closed several times before it will lock - and the engine will then start.

The car itself is rather nice, my wife likes driving it - with reservations.

From my point of view, the car is a liability and is a disgrace to the name of Toyota.

We've owned several Yaris and Celica cars during the past decades and none of them were cursed with this electronic unreliability.

The Auris Tourer was bought from a main Dealership and it is the top of the range model. It is still under Warranty, just, but the thought of this multitude of problems occurring  later, is dreaded with good reason !

Moved to the Auris club.

So what advice, if any, do you want from Club members?

Toyota Owners Club has no association with Toyota, and Toyota doesn't visit the Club, so won't see any complaints. So if you wish to complain, you need to approach Toyota GB.

Hello Mike, thank you for your interest.

The situation that my wife finds herself in as soon as she gets into her car is ridiculous and I hear about it after literally every journey that she makes. 

I'm really just "letting off steam" as I've read about similar problems on Internet sites both about the early Toyota Auris and the Honda Juke. As far as I can make out, there's no real solution except to take it to a Toyota Dealer. I read somewhere that the Dealer will re-map the Engine Management System, or whatever the correct title is. Whether this is a remedy for the months to come I've no idea, but I suspect that it wouldn't be.

What concerns me is the fact that Toyota are obviously aware of the functional unreliability of the warning lights etc. and as far as I can make out, they've done nothing to solve the problems, the worst of course being unable to start the car without having to open and close the driver's door several times !

If anyone has a quick fix or a permanent solution to any of these problems, I would be very grateful to learn about them.

Keith 

Hi and Merry Christmas 🎄

The problems you describe happened to 2 completely different cars but with the same person?., this may lead to conclusions that the issue is not with the cars perhaps not entirely. If the cars has keyless entry and start and if the Battery on the remote key is older than 12 months and in colder days this is what happens., the car can’t detect the key and display warring triangle on the dash and text about the key Battery replacement, something that might be ignored by the driver , happens often. Just replace the Battery of the remote key with good quality one with long expiry date, not cheap ones. Also do not keep the car key in ladies bags together with smartphones and credit cards or other electronics, keep in pocket alone or just placed on the dash, there is no risk locking it inside the car as the car is smart and lock the key inside.
Regards 

Hi and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

My wife has had the  battery changed in both keys for both cars. She keeps the key in her pocket when out, when at home they're not in her handbag and she doesn't take a mobile phone out with her - she hardly ever uses it and it's not a smart phone.

My son in law is a qualified auto mechanic with years of practical experience and  currently he's in charge of a national apprentice programme  for a well-known car manufacturer, sometimes teaching students as a "stand-in" and he's completely baffled - he has his own diagnostic set-up as well as using the workshop unit.

We feel that all this electronic technology, especially the plethora of warning lights on modern cars is mainly superfluous and is only a sales gimmick. If it was completely reliable, well that's so-called progress but I'm far from impressed !

I wonder if the driver is carrying some other electronic gizmos with the keys or in the car?

Just a thought, as it happened in two separate cars.

Have you taken it back to the dealer? Presume Toyota Main Dealer? Get them to sort the issues.

I have a 2015 Auris Hybrid Tourer and not had any major issues in the 12 months of ownership. Bought from main Toyota dealer with 12 months warranty. Car had 26,700 miles when bought. Just over 30k now.

I had the AC fail and Toyota Dealer fixed it under warranty, but had to wait 2 months for condenser.

Mine does not have the Toyota Safety Sense, sounds like yours does.

Toyota dealer replaced my fob batteries when I bought it and within 3 months dead. Got my own and keep some in the glove box. Got the key Battery low warning!

I find it a good car!

I also have a 1996 Volvo 940 petrol auto estate. Also excellent. Owned 4 years and cost me £250 to buy. Now on 205,000miles.

James.

• Thanks 1

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions.

My wife doesn't do electronic gadgets except for a Battery wrist watch as she hasn't a clue about these things- and neither do I being quite ancient ! She does switch off the audio unit when she switches off the engine and the heater fan, also make certain the boot lid is closed positively - all possible causes she's been told by friends.

My daughter has an identical Nissan Juke on contract and it too suffers from "dead engine syndrome" which she accepts as being one of the joys of driving. She was told that it has something to do with a switch behind the clutch pedal.

She will probably make the journey to the Toyota Dealer in the New Year,  as it's beyond a joke. She drove it yesterday to the shops ten miles away and on the way back, the headlight warning light came on, so she went for a longer drive through the countyside - and it went off on it's own eventually !

Best wishes to all,

Keith

3 hours ago, keidal said:

Hi and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

My wife has had the  battery changed in both keys for both cars. She keeps the key in her pocket when out, when at home they're not in her handbag and she doesn't take a mobile phone out with her - she hardly ever uses it and it's not a smart phone.

My son in law is a qualified auto mechanic with years of practical experience and  currently he's in charge of a national apprentice programme  for a well-known car manufacturer, sometimes teaching students as a "stand-in" and he's completely baffled - he has his own diagnostic set-up as well as using the workshop unit.

We feel that all this electronic technology, especially the plethora of warning lights on modern cars is mainly superfluous and is only a sales gimmick. If it was completely reliable, well that's so-called progress but I'm far from impressed !

Hi, well if all been checked and nothing obvious found then only main dealer return to find the fault is your option. I do fully agree with you about the tech in modern cars , I also don’t like it except the ones that proof to be useful, but screens and infotainment systems, yak I prefer without.  👍 

Happy holidays and hopefully you will get your car fixed soon. 

As regards starting the car, most manufacturers fit a switch on the clutch pedal which means that to start the car, the clutch has to be fully depressed. If the clutch isn't fully depressed, the engine won't start. There have been accidents where cars have been started in gear. A safety feature - this prevents the car being started when still in gear and inadvertently moving forwards or backwards.

As regards warning lights, some of these became legal requirements in recent years for new cars sold within the EU - for example seatbelt warnings (both audio and visual), gear change indicators, tyre pressure monitoring systems, etc - and car manufacturers have had no choice but to fit these in order to continue selling cars within the EU and UK. As time goes on, there will probably be more requirements such as these.

As regards the headlights, does she have the headlight switch set to 'auto'? If so the headlights will come on when the sensor detects low light levels outside, and will turn off when the light improves. There is an 'off' position on the headlight switch, which will prevent the headlights operating on auto, but she will then have to remember to turn the lights on and off as required.

Thanks Mike,

My wife's actually a pretty savvy driver and knows about the clutch pedal depressing fully, as she had a Yaris 1.33 when they were first introduced - from my distant memory 2006 ? and this had the same technique to start the engine. Whenever it was, at that time we both occasionally forgot to depress the clutch !  I'll mention the headlight option and hope that it at least solves the headlight warning light problem.

There really doesn't seem to be an option than to take it to the Toyota Dealer to get it sorted if at all possible.

I'll keep you posted when this has been achieved and in the meantime, I'd like to wish everyone the very best for 2021 - we all deserve it.

Keith  

• Thanks 2

All sounds a bit odd. You don't live next to a military base or the worlds biggest phone mast do you?

Thanks John, but we don't live anywhere neat to those !

I've just spoken to my wife about these issues [again] and later today, I'll make a list of them.

Her final comment was that for all the "flashing lights and bells", the car doesn't seem to have a light to illuminate the hole for the ignition key, so she has to fiddle about in the dark - the interior light doesn't even help.

Watch this space,

Keith 

Not sure about the ignition key, mine's got keyless so it's a push button start. Which leads to the different problem of "where did I put the keyfob?".

I found the Interior lights pretty useless and swapped the bulbs for LEDs which helps a lot.

Hello,

My wife tells me that the 1.2 engine doesn't always start, she has to depress the accelerator slightly but this doesn't guarantee it starting. She has to open and close the door at least once and hope for the best. She keeps the clutch pedal fully depressed to start  the engine.

All the dashboard lights come on.

Sometimes they all go out, sometimes not and the yellow triangle / exclamation mark remains on.

Sometimes a grey panel appears with three comments :--

Check LDA system

Check pre-crash safety

Headlight system malfunction, check with Dealer

She doesn't have the headlights set to auto and all the external lights work correctly, a warning to "BRAKE" will come on sometimes after she has done so.

All of this complication seems to me to be totally unnecessary and  distracting when driving.

Apparently the car has only done 8500 miles and if these faults and inconveniences are anything to go by, I say try harder Toyota. As for my wife, she's annoyed with all this electronic trouble !

Good luck with all your Toyotas

Keith

It is strange that you're getting similar problems with two totally unrelated cars.

As you traded the Juke in, presumably you bought from a dealer, not necessarily Toyota, and things like HPI checks were done to verify mileage and whether the car had not been involved in a major accident. As I see it you have two alternatives:

1). If you bought the Auris within the last six months, you have some comeback against the dealer you bought the car from, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. See 'the first six months' section of https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act#:~:text=The Consumer Rights Act 2015 became law on,modernise the law%2C giving you clearer

2). Take the car into a Toyota dealer for investigation. A diagnostic fee may be payable which is usually cancelled if the issues are covered under the new car warranty (this is a common arrangement across dealer groups and not just Toyota dealers).

• Like 2

One other thing re the locking issues and difficulty starting, is whether something is interfering with the signal from the keys. Do the starting/locking issues occur anywhere or just in a couple of localities.

Things which can interfere with key signals by operating on similar bands, include, but are not limited to, National Grid communications, military or emergency services communications, wireless doorbells, wireless routers, etc.

What about the battery of the car? These issues very often happens when Battery voltage drops down due to cold weather, lack of use or infrequent use. Two different make and models cars having same problems is very strange. Car batteries in genera likes to be charged and used, if not in constant use they can easily go bad in a short time. , 2-3 years and they can be dead, if in daily use can easily last over 10 years. 

2 hours ago, keidal said:

Check LDA system

Check pre-crash safety

There's a sensor pack for those systems at the top of the windscreen,behind the rear view mirror. Wonder if it's had a windscreen replacement at some point?

As Tony suggests, checking the Battery is a good shout as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, keidal said:

Check LDA system

Check pre-crash safety

a warning to "BRAKE" will come on sometimes after she has done so.

you have already answered 1 question yourself

the BRAKE warning is part of the pre-crash safety system so if you have the PCS looked at the

BRAKE warning light issue should be resolved

the proper solution is to take it back to toyota for a warranty repair

• Like 2

I would check the Battery condition (check charge/voltage and even recharge the Battery with smart charger) and the Battery terminal connections both positive and negative connections (shake and see if it is loose, are they oxidised?) and the battery negative connection to the earth point, usually a bolt on the chassis within the engine room, is that oxidised or loose. I am pretty sure you have done all that but sometimes it helps to recheck. I usually apply vaseline to my cars battery terminals and earth connection bolt just to avoid this problem in future.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your suggestions. As the car is still just within the Toyota Warranty period, I guess that it will have to go back to the nearest Toyota Dealer.

It is just so stupid that if my wife "jiggles" the ignition key after the engine has started, more times than not, the grey panel / yellow triangle-exclamation mark disappear - and that is a really brilliant modern technology solution !

In due course, I'll let you know what the Toyota Dealer managed to do.

In the meantime, best wishes for 2021,

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the car was given to the local Toyota Dealer and asked to identify / repair the faults which I have described. It was there for five days. My wife was told that the camera behind the rear view mirror had been replaced.

After a short trip to the local shop, the car's engine refused to start and therefore my wife resorted to her simple "fix" to start the engine. She opened and closed the driver's door and as  if by magic, the engine then fired-up ! 

So much for diagnostic equipment !

I wonder if there's some sort of switch / sensor as part of the door latch / locking mechanism or door adjustment ?

She is reluctant to let them have the car for another four days !

The work sheet supplied just states "brake actuator skid control" - and apparently they checked the tyres' tread depths.

It seems as if they either missed investigating and attending to the non-staring engine problem, or were mystified why opening and closing the driver's door / "jiggling" the key in the ignition lock seemed to get the engine firing. My wife tells me that swearing at it, whilst sitting in the driver's seat also works - sometimes !

The Distributor has not bothered to reply to my email emphasizing this problem - come to think about it, neither did the supplying Distributor.

What concerns me, is the fact that this Toyota Auris having covered less than 9000 miles from new is this unreliable and the local Distributor doesn't appear to be either willing or able, to sort out a serious fault ie the engine sometimes won't start. Toyota have sold Auris cars for several years now.

Those of us who remember British Leyland, will have heard of, or had the misfortune to have bought one of their "Friday cars" and it seems as if Toyota assemble them as well !