Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car will go into gear but wont move

Pwalsh79

When I went to reverse my car out of my drive yesterday morning it went into gear but the car wouldn't move the same when I tried 1st gear to go forward went into gear but wouldn't move, the revs go up when I press the accelerator but no movement in the car, any suggestions as to what the problem could be I would really appreciate it 

Manual transmission? The clutch has gone, perhaps long ago, have you noticed any bad DENTIS cabinet smell? 

Yes the day before it went I got a bad smell after changing gears and thought straight away the clutch was going but to start the car the clutch needs to be engaged and that still works so thinking it must be something else, yes manual transmission 

Pressing the clutch pedal to start the engine is purely an electrical switch on the pedal, you could remove the whole gearbox (and clutch within) and that part would still operate as normal.

Sounds like a failed clutch although it must be pretty drastic to have been at least drivable the day before total failure.

• Like 1

The clutch is dead and/or the slave cylinder has gone bad, has clutch/brake fluid level dropped ?

At this stage I'm hoping that's what it is thanks a million for the advice really appreciate it 

You are saying that the car can engage a gear but can not move, if the hydraulic fails the gear engages will be almost impossible or very difficult, bad smell comes when the friction materials are worn to the point that no longer can transfer torque from engine to the gearbox and wheels, however the pressure plate still operational and can let you engage gears. Only my thoughts. Wish you good luck 🤞 

Probably clutch but is it possible the brakes are seized? Easy to check.

What you not said is...... how many miles has the car done, has it had any known faults in the past, when was the car last used on a journey, any problems then, noises, smells etc, 

The diesels are known to snap their drive shafts, but I would go with failed clutch and/DMF. Also I thought that when the hydraulics go, you can't get a gear whilst the engine is running, similar to a clutch cable braking. On two previous cars years back, I had clutch slave cylinder failure and clutch cable snap. The slave cylinder leak gave me warning with hard to get gears, but Fiesta Mk1 cable braking!!!

• Thanks 1

iIf the incident was accompanied with a strorg odour the previous day i would opt for a bad disk slipping clutch as well ,hydrolic failure would mean a limp clutch  pedal so not hydrolic but there is just one other thing to chech .Try it in reverse and all the other gears as one  of the linkages may have given way if no cigar in any gear then bad slippy clutch plate im afraid and be prepared for hefty bill around the guts of 7or 8 hundred quids i wud think,,