Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Poor Mpg

ScotlandAurisOwner

So I recently changed from a vauxhall insignia 2.0CDTI estate to a Auris hybrid and have to say after 500 miles I’m fairly disappointed. The fuel economy I am getting on the Auris is Worse! Than my insignia was which was a far heavier non economical car. I haven’t seen my Auris average above 47 mpg yet and I reset the ecu when I bought it to learn my driving style and nope still less than 47 mpg!

I thought it was just a matter of getting in; putting it into drive and it would do the rest for me I didn’t realise I actually had to drive like complete miss daisy to see even fairly decent MPG never mind anywhere the claim average Toyota claims.

ive tried driving in normal driving mode, eco mode and nothing makes a difference. I’m not driving around at 1/2 mph constantly watching the dash when I’m commuting 70 miles a day just to see if I can gain and extra 0.1mpg! It’s crazy!!!

so this tank of 45 litre of fuel going the way I am going I’ll get 45mpg!!! I do a mix of motorway, A road and B road driving

This is worse than our non hybrid auris with 1.2turbo engine which gives 5.6 l/100km on the highway and 7 lit/100 km in town.

I know it is ridiculous I don’t know if there is something I am missing or doing wrong 

Overall, measuring brim to brim, not from the display, mix of town and motorway, I'd say an average in low 60s. Worse in cold weather, better in warm.  If you do lots of short journeys it will be worse as with any car.  Perhaps your driving style is a bit aggressive? Smooth acceleration and not leaving braking to the last second is the way. Unfortunately, if you go into the Bmw lane on the motorway and play boy racers your mpg will suffer, best speeds on motorway I think is steady 60 to 70, mpg falls badly after that. So Miss Saisy is the way to drive!

• Like 1

Those are pretty apaulling figures, i get that MPG, on that kind of roads with my 1.6 gasoline engine, maybe 45 with the winter now, and i don't really pay attention to my driving style.

Try brimming the tank and measuring like that.

Coming from a diesel, it could be possible you still drive it like a diesel.

• Like 1

Hi,

dead 12v Battery and poor mpg are the most relevant posts at the moment and more like these will follow for sure. 47mpg it’s absolutely normal for the car and season especially if you drive it on motorways in wet and windy conditions and if you have a winter tyres that you should IMO.  There are few things that you need to make sure are done correctly and you don’t need to drive slowly to get a good fuel consumption.

1. Make sure tyres are correct pressure at cold, no more, no less 

2. Fill the tank with quality fuel, if unsure add fuel additives and if you feel a difference never use this garage again 

3. Learn about the technic “pulse and glide” or how to drive a Prius efficiently 

4. Keep the car in Normal mode not Eco

5. Drive the car as usual, but don’t trash it, if you race it, forget about it. 

You drive 70 miles a day which is very good for the car and once you get use to you should be able to get a good mpg and enjoy your Toyota. I do 200+ miles with my Auris hybrid, mostly motorway and A roads with some occasional town driving, 50 mpg winter and 60mpg summer, can’t ask for more. 

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

4. Keep the car in Normal mode not Eco

Hi Tony, please would you expand your reasons on this?

24 minutes ago, Auris Geezer said:

Hi Tony, please would you expand your reasons on this?

Hi, the reason to keep the car in normal mode is because the accelerator is more sensitive and the car behaves more like a normal car and when driving on A roads and motorways you don’t need to push so hard to get the car going and here it’s the key you learn how to drive the car efficiently without missing normal acceleration and responsiveness. If you drive in Eco the car is very sluggish and you find yourself often pushing it harder than necessary to accelerate up to the speed and doing so you are actually burning more fuel. Eco mode is only suitable for traffic jams and slow town driving, where the Normal mode is exactly where this sweet spot is between power and efficiency. Just a personal preference and hopefully useful tip, but  if you like you can drive in any of the modes available.👍🚗

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

One more thing about the modes: 

When in Eco mode and while accelerating normally the car will remain on Battery power for longer time which actually is bad for the overall efficiency of the car since the hybrid Battery is small and drains very fast after you complete your acceleration and it’s time for glide you will have no remaining charge and instead of gliding on Battery power you have to burn fuel to recharge the battery. Here is the pulse and glide technique, when accelerate use both ice and e motors when you had reached the desired speed just depress slightly the accelerator and let the car goes on electric only. , that’s why hybrids are best for town driving. 👍

• Thanks 1

Many thanks Tony, I've had mine on eco since I got it in March, so I'll give it a whirl in normal.👍

• Thanks 1

Anyone have any idea how long to remove the Battery connection to reset the eCU on an Auris?

10 hours ago, ScotlandAurisOwner said:

Anyone have any idea how long to remove the battery connection to reset the eCU on an Auris?

You can just leave it disconnected for 20 min., even though only 5 will be sufficient. Why would you like to do that ? 

11 hours ago, Auris Geezer said:

Many thanks Tony, I've had mine on eco since I got it in March, so I'll give it a whirl in normal.👍

You are welcome. Give it a try and see if you like it more. There have been posts before and many more hybrid owners have switch from Eco to normal mode and prefer that way. , performance same but feeling is different. 👌🚗

• Thanks 1

check that the air intake for the hybrid cooling fan isnt blocked with fluff from the cabin

the intake grill is by the rear passenger door at the front of the rear seat

So tonight I went about a 100 mile run in the car mostly motorway miles.....46mpg! What am i doing wrong?! Was cruise control and 70mph 

In my experience the mpg is worse in winter. I average 51 mpg over the year and 46 mpg at this time of year doesn’t sound like you’re doing something obviously wrong.

The official mpg figures bear little relation to real-world driving. I can reliably get over 60 mpg in the summer on certain roads - for some reason it seems to do best on country roads between 40-60 mph.

i am thinking the way the land lies has something to do with it

quote" The mountain guide has 25 mountains listed in Clackmannanshire, Scotland."

if you are using CC whilst going up the mountains then you probably would use more fuel,

without using CC you would increase your speed whilst on the flatter roads where it takes

less effort to maintain your preset speed, using the CC it will wait until its about to struggle

then give the engine full revs = burns more fuel to keep your speed at the preset speed

How much can Tyre’s effect fuel economy? I have 4 “E” rated fuel economy tyres. Is it worth me shelling out £350 for A rated tyres or not? 

so maybe ditch the cruise control and don’t use it?

4 hours ago, ScotlandAurisOwner said:

How much can Tyre’s effect fuel economy? I have 4 “E” rated fuel economy tyres. Is it worth me shelling out £350 for A rated tyres or not? 

so maybe ditch the cruise control and don’t use it?

Yes, cruise control does not help with efficiency on this type of hybrids, tyres can also increase fuel consumption worse than any other cars, not sure though this is enough reason to change the tyres straight away, if they worn out and you are about a new tyres then choose a better rated , Michelin Cross climate can be a good choice for year around., safety important too. Accelerations perhaps are affecting the economy if you like to go faster of the line like with diesels, change of driving style may help the most. 👍

Pointless changing the tyres until required. It would take years to get back the £350 you paid out. My Auris in winter does on average 45 to 55 mpg. In the summer it is much better 55 to 65/70.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, ScotlandAurisOwner said:

So tonight I went about a 100 mile run in the car mostly motorway miles.....46mpg! What am i doing wrong?! Was cruise control and 70mph 

That does sound very bad. I normally drive my Corolla at 60mph on motorways using CC and expect high 60s but coming back from my Dad's funeral in October I pegged it at 80/90 all the way back (190 miles). Averaged 76 mph. Even then the mpg for the trip measured at the pump was 53.

15 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

That does sound very bad. I normally drive my Corolla at 60mph on motorways using CC and expect high 60s but coming back from my Dad's funeral in October I pegged it at 80/90 all the way back (190 miles). Averaged 76 mph. Even then the mpg for the trip measured at the pump was 53.

Hi, the Corolla is smaller car and has gen4 hybrid drive train, and the op has an Auris estate with gen3 hybrid technology, 46mpg with 70mph  it’s realistic consumption  in winter months imo, also there is a big difference between 60mph and 70mph in terms of efficiency, the most economical speed of any car is between 50-62mph , getting closer to the smaller numbers of speed is better.

19 hours ago, ScotlandAurisOwner said:

Depending on the tyre size, sounds about right. On the fat 225/17s I get similar in this weather and about 54mpg in summer. Taxi spec ones on pram wheels are a bit better.

At motorway speeds there's not much assistance from the electric motor, the efficiency gains are much bigger around town.

Did you mention what tyre pressure you are using? Ive got the same car and worst last winter doing more than usual short journeys was 54mpg. Summer comfortably over 60 so yours sounds low. I'm inflating 36psi if that's any help 

Yes, tyre pressures are important, and brakes., best to get it checked if they work  properly, if any of the wheels has stuck calliper or sliding pins that can cause brake binding will reduce economy for sure and make the car feel sluggish.