Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid Poor Mpg

ScotlandAurisOwner

a quick check to see if your brakes binding is to touch them

after you have been for a run if they are binding the wheel

will feel warmer compared to a wheel who's brakes are working well

even red hot depending on the kind of braking you have had to do

On 1/1/2021 at 5:58 AM, ScotlandAurisOwner said:

How much can Tyre’s effect fuel economy? I have 4 “E” rated fuel economy tyres. Is it worth me shelling out £350 for A rated tyres or not? 

so maybe ditch the cruise control and don’t use it?

Changing tyres........ No,  not unless they worn. It would be a pointless exercise, and when you find it was pointless then you will be stuck with a £350 spend that was not beneficial.                       
The Toyota hybrid engineering is solid as a rock, that’s my experience, it’s a point and drive system that is so relaxing. As for fuel consumption, a lot has to do with the terrain, the weather, tyre pressures, load carried, your driving style.               
When was the engine air filter last changed?                
Check the tyre pressures with an accurate gauge (garage gauges are not always accurate). Go by your Toyota handbook....... then add 2 or 3psi in each tyre, but that’s your choice.           
Wind can affect mpg, as can temperature, but that’s been covered well by others
I tend to not use cruise control a lot because I feel I can better fuel consumption without it, ccontrol is there to maintain a steady speed, go up hill and it will try to maintain the speed you set. That will increase the fuel consumed. I happy to loose some speed going uphill by being lighter on throttle use. So I use the terrain to my advantage.          
Are you carrying excess weight? If your job means you carrying a load, then you have to live with that, but can’t expect best mpg. But many times drivers carry weight that they don’t particularly need to.           
Get yourself on you tube, look for “hybrid car driving style” or words to that effect. Look at those dealing with Toyota hybrids, you will find loads of Prius clips. Prius 2009-2016 had same hybrid engineering bits as your Auris, but Prius more aerodynamic so you unlikely to get Prius mpg A lot you see on YouTube is in America, so keep in mind that their gallon is smaller then UK gallon, therefore mpg will be less too. Look for the “pulse and glide” technique. Can be very effective, but needs thought by the driver. If just want to stick your foot down, fine, but you can’t expect to get good mpg.     
A lot of good mpg is in your right foot. The wife drives a 2010 Auris hybrid, same hybrid engineering as yours, it used to be mine. It is doing very low 50’s in winter, and very low 60’s in summer. But she not doing 70 mile a day.

Yurt one final comment..... the fuel figures Toyota give are not made up by them to sell a car. The industry regulator insists ALL car manufacturers are put through the same tests so that a fair and level playing field can be seen by a buyer. The test was deemed very unrealistic, but that is NOT Toyota fault, nor Ford, nor Nissan, nor Vauxhall etc. A different test to determine published figures is now in existence, more realistic, but if a driver wants to achieve those figures they would have to drive in exactly the same conditions and style, so basically, right foot does matter.

• Thanks 1

Just as an addition..... in winter I use eco mode, softer acceleration - slippy roads.  In summer normal mode, but the mileage I doing this last 12 months the furthest I travelled i one go was 70 miles to Sheffield, mostly trotting around local villages to keep Battery up.

47 mpg, is about what I get calculated over two years in my 2016 Auris Excel.
MPG massively depends on weather, internal heating temperature, terrain, tyre size and pressure, and driving style.
I have the 17" wheels and increasing the tyre pressure from 33 psi to 38 psi improved mpg and the car handling (I prefer a firmer ride).
Two of us drive the Auris and my wife gets at least 10% less mpg than I do.
Agree with the TonyHSD, that eco mode in Auris for most people will result in worse mpg, as car need to be pushed harder for any decent acceleration.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rav4ster said:

47 mpg, is about what I get calculated over two years in my 2016 Auris Excel.

Similar here.  I've had my Excel (17" wheels) for just over a year, and done 4000 miles in it. Got an app on the phone which works out the real world MPG ... and it's saying 48.6 average. 45mpg in the winter, 53mpg in the summer. One long 150+ mile journey pre-COVID, otherwise mainly round town or a 10 mile motorway trip to see family.

The 10 mile motorway trip with half a mile of urban roads each end does it no favours - onboard computer typically states 45mpg at best in any weather. ICE is running most of the time in the hybrid, does the final half mile on Battery which helps somewhat. My previous diesel did sub 40mpg on the same run.

Maybe more suitable tyres would help a bit. Came from the factory on Dunlop Sports...

• Thanks 1

The tyres size perhaps make insignificant difference, I originally had 17” wheels with 215/45 17 and last year decided to downsize to 16” 205/55 16, fuel efficiency remain almost the same between these two sizes. Faulty brakes ,  Rain, wind, cold temperatures and speeds over 65mph plus harder acceleration does affect fuel consumption the most , and perhaps bad fuel, someone was laughing on my other post but seriously think about the quality of the petrol , some garages it’s really bad, a lot of knocks on cold start and sluggish acceleration plus noise from the ice from specific Shell garage near me, adding some petrol additives made a huge difference and most importantly no knocks on cold start ever.  👍🚗

Official figures state 12g CO2 & 8 mpg between the 15" and 17" wheel options. OK, so old school official figures aren't achievable in the real world, but if the difference remains at 10% then that's 5-6mpg.

7 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

Official figures state 12g CO2 & 8 mpg between the 15" and 17" wheel options. OK, so old school official figures aren't achievable in the real world, but if the difference remains at 10% then that's 5-6mpg.

Can be eventually as my sizes are 17” against 16” and the difference is probably 2-3mpg 👍

Is there a helpful hybrid app for iOS yet? Not the MyT one, but a 3rd party one? That might give more detailed data?

PS excellent thread with loads of great advice! You guys are excellent!

• Thanks 1

Goodyear provide some information on fuel consumption savings between A rated tyre and G rated tyres - they reckon the saving is about 7.5%, 6 litres of fuel per 1,000 kilometres or approx £220 over the life of the tyres. Obviously if existing tyres are rated, for example D, the savings will be less.

See https://www.goodyear.eu/en_gb/consumer/learn/eu-tire-label-explained.html

One thing I love about the tyres that came fitted is that they all ‘bulge’ out around the alloy and significantly protect the alloys from kerbing. I’d be inclined to keep these exact tyres each time for this reason alone.

1 hour ago, AKLZ said:

One thing I love about the tyres that came fitted is that they all ‘bulge’ out around the alloy and significantly protect the alloys from kerbing. I’d be inclined to keep these exact tyres each time for this reason alone.

The tyres with biggest rim protection ever are the oem for Prius 2016 -> Toyo R41 , these are also better than Falken on Corolla in all comparison, just as idea. One thing though, even with that big ring around low profile wheels and tyres set always get kerbs, it’s unavoidable unfortunately. 👍

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?gclid=EAIaIQobChMInZmFpseH7gIVkcLtCh1YHQOcEAYYASABEgLaKvD_BwE&dsco=110&typ=R-366578&partner=1&partner=1&Country=UK&ID=sea_rd_uk_Froogle_Shopping&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMInZmFpseH7gIVkcLtCh1YHQOcEAYYASABEgLaKvD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!432!3!328386859884!!!g!622744154395!

you will need to check your size for prices.