Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

OIL LEAK FROM WHERE?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi guys.

I have an oil leak on my Aygo. I think its a teensy one because I check my dip stick regularly and the oil level seems normal (although I must say I dont enjoy checking my oil as its difficult in the way the dip stick curves as you put it in and out, I always feel that it affects the reading! Rant over).

Anyway I noticed the leak when I last broke down and AA had to tow me home, i wiped my engine clean front and rear so that i could keep an eye on this leak. since then I've changed the cam and crank sensors and all has been driving like a new car.

The leak is definitely at the rear of the engine as you look at it head on, on the left side, drivers side, from id say the top end of the engine. Does anyone know if anything is prone to a leak in that area??? Its not the head as that's clean all the way around.

The other day I drove over a black bin liner in the middle of the road, I couldn't avoid it, windy day etc, anyway it got caught under my car for about a mile, it burnt against my exhaust so I'm having to jack it up soon to wire brush the remains, it stinks up my inside cabin with heaters on. I took a pic of this and then noticed oil on the underside.

I'm dua a service this weekend, so any ideas on the leak would be greatly appreciate guys. Thank you.

20201226_190927.jpg

20201226_190921.jpg

20201226_190916.jpg

20201226_190912.jpg

Apart from the plastic that look nothing more than normal residue oil, 10 years old so a bad cam cover gasket isn't out of the question, diy job it just takes time

re: plastic bag get the car up to temp it will come off a lot easier

Oil leak could be anything, from cam cover gasket as mentioned to main seal or oil pan gasket, or oil galley tap somewhere on the block. Your oil looks very dark too, has it been changed recently? If not I can recommend to you an engine flush , new oil in and add oil stop leak from wynns, this is great stuff and may help eventually. If the car doesn’t loose much of oil no need to do any repair work just for that because it’s going to be expensive. 
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184164816975

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372357176313

Cheers guys. I guess you're both right. It could be coming from anywhere! And if it is rear to the engine it is so difficult if not impossible to look behind it. Unless I use an inspection camera! 

The oil is changed yearly as part of my routine annual service bang on the same date each year. Already have the parts from my Toyota dealership ready to go.

However I think I will try TonyHSD's suggestion re oil stop leak from wynns.

Is it good stuff? I assume it won't harm the engine or contaminated the fresh oil i put in?

• Like 1

This oil stop leak is a really good stuff, I have similar oil leak and I had used various oil stop leaks but no success, however my one it’s not too bad and it’s been there for over 100k miles. Last time I used this wynns I noticed it did improve the oil a lot, I was half way through oil life at 5k miles and pored one of these cans, the engine became much quieter and more responsive., seems like this thing  has oil friction modifiers and kind of extends the oil life. I also use this stp engine flush every second change, but I do 5 oil changes a year. You can give it try too, will clean your engine nicely.👍 

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

This oil stop leak is a really good stuff, I have similar oil leak and I had used various oil stop leaks but no success, however my one it’s not too bad and it’s been there for over 100k miles. Last time I used this wynns I noticed it did improve the oil a lot, I was half way through oil life at 5k miles and pored one of these cans, the engine became much quieter and more responsive., seems like this thing  has oil friction modifiers and kind of extends the oil life. I also use this stp engine flush every second change, but I do 5 oil changes a year. You can give it try too, will clean your engine nicely.👍 

Sounds Amazing. Thank you. I've already sent my son to Halfords to buy me 1 x wynns oil flush and 1 x wynns oil stop...and gets just walked in bless him. Under a tenner for both at trade. Ill give it a go at my service this weekend...saying that its freezing out there but I've done it before...ill do it again. Try doing a full service in the freezing cold with rain...its crazy but I'm adamant my annual service is on the same date regardless of weather!!

Cheers again

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links