Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing starter battery 12V Auris 2013

Askic

Hello guys,

I have Toyota Auris manufactured in year 2013 in UK. Yesterday the starter batter failed. It is VARTA 60Ah, 365A. It is Auris VVTi 1.6 with 97kW, 132 hp. When trying to start car, all I could hear is clicking sound for a few seconds and that‘s it.

So I have bought the new Battery same dimension, but 62Ah and replaced it myself. After that, the car starts without problem, but now I have check engine light. Is there any way I can reset this light indication?

One friend told me later I made mistake since all newer cars have batteries that are supposed to be replaced in official toyota service workshop and that I probably messed up software. I can drive a car normally.

I have found on youtube a video where Battery replacement procedure is shown for corolla 2014-2019. According to this video all you need to do is to leave Battery disconnected for a few minutes and press horn to be sure it has no more power and that‘s it.

Do you have any advice or I need to drive the car to the workshop?

Thank you.  

You can try disconnecting the negative terminal for about 20 min, then connect and try again see if still have engine management light on. If yes, then you might need a diagnostic to read the fault code. 👍

Thank you Tony. That solved the problem. Warning light is gone. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Askic said:

Thank you Tony. That solved the problem. Warning light is gone. 

You are welcome, glad it worked.👍🚗

On 12/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, Askic said:

One friend told me later I made mistake since all newer cars have batteries that are supposed to be replaced in official toyota service workshop and that I probably messed up software.

I think your friend is mistaken. Some makes and their versions, eg. BMW, need the computer "informing" that a new Battery has been intalled. Still doesn't require a main BMW dealer to do that as long as the relevant equipment/software is available.

Maybe some newer Toyotas require that, no idea, but I doubt your 2013 Auris does. My 2014 Yaris certainly didn't need anything special when I changed it's Battery. However, I did provide a 12v supply via the diagnostic socket, while changing it, to retain the computer memory (not essential though).

i know later vw 12v batteries are meant to be replaced at the dealership

as the car can charge the Battery at different rates so you need to tell

the car what Battery is now fitted,

the car will now change the output to suit the new Battery

if this isn't done the battery could be under or over charged.

you wouldn't get an engine light if this process wasnt carried out though.

Changed the 12v Battery on the wife’s 2010 Auris Hybrid, bought the Battery, took it to a garage across the road from where I bought it, garage didn’t want to do it (“it’s a hybrid-can’t do it”), took it home and changed it myself, no problems.

• Thanks 1