Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hard to start 1.4 d4d diesel 2008 yaris

Scooba

Hi. Just bought a 2008 yaris and it is a bit hard to start it. I have attached a video.  Temperature in the video -1. I have bought a battery/ alternator tester and it's showing that is a alternator fault. I have changed the Battery but no luck.

On the last video the temperature was 5 degrees. Do you think the problem is the alternator Or is the starter motor? 

Thanks

8 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Do you know how to check you glowplugs?

Not really 🤦‍♂️ do you think it could be the glowplugs?

They'd be easy to test if you've got a multi-meter. You could also use it to check your alternator output. Perhaps you'd be better off taking it to someone who knows diesels.

• Thanks 1

I did own a 2010 (Mk 2) Yaris 1.4 Diesel but can't remember now, like most Diesels with glowplugs, do you see the "coiled spring" light in you instrument cluster when switching on the ignition? This should remain on for a time, depending on ambient and engine temperature. 

Does the engine turn over o.k.? i.e. fast enough. Any puffs of smoke out of the exhaust when it is turning over?

I would rely on a multimeter to check Battery voltage with engine running to determine whether the alt'r is charging, rather than that device. 14v+ is fine. Also the batteries base voltage when everything is shut down, 12v+.

Two of your videos aren't working for me.

That is the regulator on the alternator going bad and or worn brushes, if you rev the car does that fault light go out ?

2 hours ago, mrpj said:

I did own a 2010 (Mk 2) Yaris 1.4 Diesel but can't remember now, like most Diesels with glowplugs, do you see the "coiled spring" light in you instrument cluster when switching on the ignition? This should remain on for a time, depending on ambient and engine temperature. 

Does the engine turn over o.k.? i.e. fast enough. Any puffs of smoke out of the exhaust when it is turning over?

I would rely on a multimeter to check battery voltage with engine running to determine whether the alt'r is charging, rather than that device. 14v+ is fine. Also the batteries base voltage when everything is shut down, 12v+.

Two of your videos aren't working for me.

Hi. It comes on for 2 seconds but disappear b4 I switch the engine on.

No smoke...and after the engine is on it drives lovely. 

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

That is the regulator on the alternator going bad and or worn brushes, if you rev the car does that fault light go out ?

No it doesn't...it just flushes...