Do Not Sell My Personal Information

remote engine start?

PMW

Can I please ask if anyone based in the UK (and therefore without access to Toyota Entune 3.0 Remote Connect) has remote engine start on their RAV4 2019 via a telephone app or via the key - whether through toyota or through the installation of an aftermarket device? Any relevant suggestions would be greatly appreciated. More specifically I am interested in the possibility of setting climate control at the time of remote start to pre-heat or pre-cool the cabin. Many thanks

I understand remote start is illegal in UK, as you have to have someone in charge of the vehicle with the engine running.

Most EVs will do preprogrammed climate control provided they are plugged in, and, of course, there is no ICE engine running.  Perhaps a PHEV will do the same?

4 hours ago, gavioliuk said:

I understand remote start is illegal in UK, as you have to have someone in charge of the vehicle with the engine running.

Many UK spec cars have this feature now as standard so I don't believe this is true, most of these systems don't use the cars engine anyway. 

UK cars with remote start do not appear to confine themselves to EVs: examples involving a combustion engine include Ford (Pass Connect), Jaguar (InControl Remote Premium), Land Rover (Remote Premium), Volvo (On Call).  As far as I can see, an automatic gearbox and access to private, off-street parking are the only requirements.  

1 hour ago, 182_blue said:

Many UK spec cars have this feature now as standard so I don't believe this is true, most of these systems don't use the cars engine anyway. 

But a 2019 (which is being referred to)would be a Hybrid and the petrol engine would start at some point.  Mine does not start for 30 seconds, but immediately if the heater is turned on.

Remote starting is only legal on private property in the UK.

I've read that a few versions of the 2019 onwards RAV4 in the US (and possibly Canada) do this, but I'm pretty sure it's not available in the UK.

Those cars that do this currently switch off the engine if a door is opened and/or a gear is selected to comply with the law and prevent theft of the vehicle.

Slight confusion with remote start and a proper car pre heater, alot of cars use Webasto type heaters which don't require the engine to run, they have their on little heater that uses the cars fuel, next doors work van has one fitted as an aftermarket accessory, they can be added to petrol and diesel cars

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2021 at 11:13 PM, PMW said:

Can I please ask if anyone based in the UK (and therefore without access to Toyota Entune 3.0 Remote Connect) has remote engine start on their RAV4 2019 via a telephone app or via the key - whether through toyota or through the installation of an aftermarket device? Any relevant suggestions would be greatly appreciated. More specifically I am interested in the possibility of setting climate control at the time of remote start to pre-heat or pre-cool the cabin. Many thanks

I own a 2021 Toyota RAV 4 Hybrid within the UK and can verify that we do NOT have remote start available on models, including ones with the JBL sound system.

Holding the lock button after 3 clicks does not do anything besides constantly locking the car.

On 1/2/2021 at 6:20 AM, gavioliuk said:

My last car (Jaguar XE R-Sport) had this feature, set the required Climate Control temperature, press “start” on the app and the car would fire up and run for a maximum of 30 minutes.

Really useful on both cold and hot days.

4 hours ago, Rigsby said:

My last car (Jaguar XE R-Sport) had this feature, set the required Climate Control temperature, press “start” on the app and the car would fire up and run for a maximum of 30 minutes.

Really useful on both cold and hot days.

Same for my previous Volvo XC60....remote start, remote lock too

23 minutes ago, Hayzee said:

Same for my previous Volvo XC60....remote start, remote lock too

Yep, remote lock and close all windows and sunroof from the app.

Flash lights and beep horn to help locate in car parks etc.

But on the downside there was a small annual subscription.

I can not find where I saw this but when I first looked at the PHEV and MyT app there was talk of the remote lock/unlock and the ability to locate the car in a car park by flashing the lights were being developed.  The lights flash option would be very useful sometimes.