Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winter driving - Leaving second key in car?

priusnoob

Hi

I wanted to leave my second key in the car, and then lock the car with the other key whilst the car defrosts, however the car doesn't want to lock itself. 

Similarly, if I take the first key out of the car, and just that, the car doesn't want to lock AND it could be stolen by someone who could just drive off. Does anyone know how I could get around this, so I can get up and go? 

Hi, 

Yes you can leave the car defrost and lock the key inside using the door lock and your service key build into the key fob. Just make sure the lock is working properly and best is to spray some wd-40 or similar lubricant into the lock to prevent from freezing and make it work again if it doesn’t. In case you have your car stolen, why would you tell insurance you left it with key on the ignition, just tell insurance what is good for you. 👍

Isn't the import version keyless like the UK spec 3rd Gen Prius?  If so, once you've started the car, you don't need to leave the key in for the Hybrid system to stay running (this is why the relay thefts work).  You only need the key inside the car again to restart the car if you switch it off.

As Tony says, you can use the emergency key to lock the car, but you can also lock front the buttons inside the car then hold the outside door handle in the opening position while closing the door (you may need 2 hands for this).  If it's the same as UK versions, it will stay locked.  You may still need the emergency key to unlock the car again, as I'm not sure if the remotes/keyless will work while the Hybrid system is on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

Isn't the import version keyless like the UK spec 3rd Gen Prius?  If so, once you've started the car, you don't need to leave the key in for the Hybrid system to stay running (this is why the relay thefts work).  You only need the key inside the car again to restart the car if you switch it off.

As Tony says, you can use the emergency key to lock the car, but you can also lock front the buttons inside the car then hold the outside door handle in the opening position while closing the door (you may need 2 hands for this).  If it's the same as UK versions, it will stay locked.  You may still need the emergency key to unlock the car again, as I'm not sure if the remotes/keyless will work while the Hybrid system is on.

Thanks. I guess I'd essentially need to physically lock the car whilst it's running then? 

1 hour ago, PeteB said:

If I open the driver's side door, it immediately unlocks and doesn't lock when I close it? (Key isn't in the car) 

If I try and force it to lock, then the other doors immediately unlock

It worked on my 2012 Gen 3 Prius and 2016 Gen 4, maybe the Japanese market models behave differently.

• Like 1

So .............

What is being asked, is how can you leave the car running whilst the car is locked, so you can come up later to unlock a warm car and drive it away?

Not tried that with our Yaris.

I know that sitting in the car when it's running and set in Park, I can press the lock button on the key fob, and the doors will lock.  Not tried it from outside the car .............. yet.

Mick.

1 minute ago, Mick F said:

So .............

What is being asked, is how can you leave the car running whilst the car is locked, so you can come up later to unlock a warm car and drive it away?

Not tried that with our Yaris.

I know that sitting in the car when it's running and set in Park, I can press the lock button and the doors will lock.  Not tried it from outside the car .............. yet.

Mick.

If you park another car in front of the car that is being warmed up then you do not need to leave a second key in the car !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone that does know their key fob has a built in service key that can lock and unlock the car manually via drivers door.

3B28A7AB-BD58-45B2-BB78-989D3307E0E8.jpeg

12 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

For anyone that does know their key fob has a built in service key that can lock and unlock the car manually via drivers door.

3B28A7AB-BD58-45B2-BB78-989D3307E0E8.jpeg

They should always read their Handbook Tony !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, john p williams said:

They should always read their Handbook Tony !

True, but we always learn something new every day. I found out this key exist while was watching a video how to change key fob Battery, you actually have to use to key to open the fob,. It’s so cool and so simple, well thought from Toyota. 👍

Insert he key in that place and rotate.

0C0F01FB-49E6-49C9-8BD5-7600A7A620FA.jpeg

• Like 1