Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would oil viscosity have an impact on VVT?

Chris Boddum

Hi!

I recently had my engine hesitation fixed by getting the chain serviced (tightened it, it was just a little loose). I still feel some vibration when the engine is very hot (say after half an hour of driving) and it completely stops when the VVT kicks in (say over 3000 rpm or when accelerated moderately).

I know it has 5w30 in it, which I can tell is wrong, as the manual describes 0w16 og 0w20. Would a thicker oil like the one I have be able to just not get the VVT to function 100%?

I'll change my oil soon anyway as it is about time, so at the very least, I'll update this post with the results.

Thanks!

Even not the reason for it best to use the viscosity that is recommended by the manufacturer, don’t change it with different one, even the car has some miles put on, different viscosity never helps with oil consumption but may cause some issues. 👍

14 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Even not the reason for it best to use the viscosity that is recommended by the manufacturer, don’t change it with different one, even the car has some miles put on, different viscosity never helps with oil consumption but may cause some issues. 👍

Thank you and yes, that was the answer I was expecting! I can see that it has been serviced all its life wth 5w30 at a local Toyota dealership, which is confusing as the manual definitely states 0w20 (and I can tell that has already been changed to 0w16!). I can only imagine that a thicker oil could have an impact.

1 hour ago, Chris Boddum said:

I can tell that has already been changed to 0w16

For 2020 Aygos, yes, but 0W-20 is still the preferred oil for yours.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

For 2020 Aygos, yes, but 0W-20 is still the preferred oil for yours.

Yeah, so from what I can get, I should ask for 0w20 instead of the current 5w30 in it? I’m coming from four cylinder cars, so I might just need to get used to the three cylinders! 

• Thanks 1

0W-20 has been used in most UK Toyota petrol engined cars since approx 2009 when Toyota introduced a number of improvements to engines under their Optimal Drive initiative - which reduced emissions, etc. Also commonly used in hybrids - though the latest of these (2019+) use 0W-16. The new Yaris uses 0W-8.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

0W-20 has been used in most UK Toyota petrol engined cars since approx 2009 when Toyota introduced a number of improvements to engines under their Optimal Drive initiative - which reduced emissions, etc. Also commonly used in hybrids - though the latest of these (2019+) use 0W-16. The new Yaris uses 0W-8.

Oh Jesus, I hope nothing has been damaged by the previous owner insisting on using 5w30 instead of 0w20. I'm on premium fuel (Shell 100 octane V-Power),  but I've heard that it runs fine or possibly a little more fruitily on just normal 95. I'll try that together with an upcoming oil change to 0w20 and see if it does anything.

While we had the valve cover off for the chain job, we did notice some crud / sludge around the engine, but nothing too bad for what is a city car. I was told to just use it as much as I can until the next oil change and use it on long cruises.

2 minutes ago, Chris Boddum said:

Oh Jesus, I hope nothing has been damaged by the previous owner insisting on using 5w30 instead of 0w20.

Very much doubt it.

“While we had the valve cover off for the chain job, we did notice some crud / sludge around the engine,”  

now you know one negative side of using wrong oil., sludge, and also that thing accumulates when oil changes are extended or skipped, engine flush, new correct grade oil in and next change in 6 months or 5k miles instead of 12 months or 10k miles, this is what I would have done if it was my car, no need to follow my recommendation, just like an idea. 👍 There is a good quality oil 0w20 on eBay 23£ for a 5l Petronas , I am using this oil over 5 years now and so far so good and engine seems happy.