Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Mk2 Steering Wheel in Mk1

- A - Go -

A question to ask, has anyone fitted a Mk2 Aygo Steering wheel with multifunction controls in a Mk1 ?

I know the clock spring is needed but in order for the steering wheel buttons to work what cabling would i need to connect my Kenwood Double Din Stereo? Also is it a big trouble doing the swap over?

Cheers...

The biggest hurdle is the clock spring and finding one that fits, the next elephant in the room is - are the splines the same and of course the airbag

Edit. Don't forget the steering angle sensor also clips to, and is moved by the clockspring

audio controls are 2 or 3 wire it is simply a resistive based switch, each function has its own resistance value

for the stereo you will need an audio controls adapter from the likes of connect2 (around £25)

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, flash22 said:

The biggest hurdle is the clock spring and finding one that fits, the next elephant in the room is - are the splines the same and of course the airbag

Edit. Don't forget the steering angle sensor also clips to, and is moved by the clockspring

audio controls are 2 or 3 wire it is simply a resistive based switch, each function has its own resistance value

for the stereo you will need an audio controls adapter from the likes of connect2 (around £25)

Hi, the MK2 clock spring fits on to the MK1 column no problem! the steering also is the same fitment, i actually bought all the gear just  and waiting for the weather to get good, all fits in place! The wiring is 3 wires which i know what ones needs wiring up...

Cheers 

J

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

3 wires - remote A, B, supply

Have you got the controls adapter ? https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSTY006.2

mk2 aygo swrc.pdf 233.8 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Flash22, thanks for the Mk2 aygo document, would be a great help if im stuck etc! As with the Connects2 module loom i was told to use the Yaris alltought they are the same module boxes but comes with a FREE connector to wire the stereo remote too, i have to hack up the module to make my own loom.. so am waiting for delivery for the connects 2 loom, link below...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CTSTY001-2-Steering-Wheel-Stalk-Control-Adaptor-For-TOYOTA-Yaris-2001-2011/370777166975?epid=1422948347&hash=item56540a947f:g:9WsAAOSwibddpaL7

Cheers.

J

You can thin the loom out as you don't need iso plug or speaker connections just the neg, Battery, and switch live

if some else has it working all's good

you may be able to map the other buttons too

• Like 1

You can thin the loom out as you don't need iso plug or speaker connections just the neg, battery, and switch live

if some else has it working all's good

you may be able to map the other buttons too

Hi, ive worked out what wire connects to the clockspring, i also have sonr diagrams that was sent to me by C1 owner who has done this conversion, i think the phone buttons are functional also.. picture below is the C1 with the conversion with all functions working.

Cheers

J

20210107_135013.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 1/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, - A - Go - said:

Hi, ive worked out what wire connects to the clockspring, i also have sonr diagrams that was sent to me by C1 owner who has done this conversion, i think the phone buttons are functional also.. picture below is the C1 with the conversion with all functions working.

Cheers

J

20210107_135013.jpg

Hey! Would you be able to share this diagram so I can do the same? Thanks!

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

The airbag has its own connectors, I posted the diagrams recently in another more recent thread

KGB40 audio.pdf 1.22 MB · 5 downloads

Thanks! I have no idea how to understand this 😅. First step, buy a steering wheel and the Connect2 thing above, right? Also, does the MK1 steering wheel airbag fit into the MK2 wheel?

You need the wheel and clockspring, if you have a factory radio it's a case of wiring it in, the connects 2 adapter is for use with an aftermarket radio

You will require a mk2 airbag as well

• Like 1

You need the wheel and clockspring, if you have a factory radio it's a case of wiring it in, the connects 2 adapter is for use with an aftermarket radio

You will require a mk2 airbag as well

The airbag is very expensive. No wonder the wheels go for next to nothing, all of the value is in the airbag. Might have to give this one a miss... also have aftermarket android unit put in, so connects2 adapter is required as well.. Possible a £150-200 mod. Doesn't seem worth it...

Twas a lot cheaper mod few years ago, but with insurers giving the nod to using used/recycle parts for repairs meant prices have increased accordingly. Then again many of my mods over the years never made much financial sense, but where's the fun in that! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 3:13 PM, toyotaspammer said:

The airbag is very expensive. No wonder the wheels go for next to nothing, all of the value is in the airbag. Might have to give this one a miss... also have aftermarket android unit put in, so connects2 adapter is required as well.. Possible a £150-200 mod. Doesn't seem worth it...

You don't need a connects2 adapter on android head unit since you can set up the controls in the settings of the tablet itself, at least on mine...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul0__ said:

You don't need a connects2 adapter on android head unit since you can set up the controls in the settings of the tablet itself, unless on mine...

That's very interesting to know, thank you. That'll surely bring the price of this mod down a fair bit. Now, to find a MK2 airbag at a decent price...

1 minute ago, toyotaspammer said:

That's very interesting to know, thank you. That'll surely bring the price of this mod down a fair bit. Now, to find a MK2 airbag at a decent price...

Yup, you just have to wire SW1 SW2 and SWG from the head unit to the squib.

You can always have luck, I bought a wheel+airbag for 110£, just keep an eye on eBay and that kind of stuff

I'm almost done with my installation btw, but the only problem is the airbag icon still blinking on my dashboard. Does anyone knows if I need the exact 4pins airbag connector ? Cuz from now I just soldered the 2 wires to the airbag connector, but apparently it doesn't accept it, or maybe the airbag itself is defective...

I would check the resistance and continuity of the clock spring

5 hours ago, flash22 said:

I would check the resistance and continuity of the clock spring

The continuity is great, I tested it out. I think it's just a connector problem; I tried with my old steering wheel/airbag/squib, when I solder the wires to the airbag connector I get a flashing light, but when I put the original connector I don't get it anymore.

So my POV is that there is like a "button" inside the female connector that pushes an other button inside the squib male connector to make sure that the connector is firmly seated. If the "button" isn't pushed then you get the light on the dashboard. So apparently the only way is to order this connector (90980–12160). I will update my post once I receive it.

By the way, the wiring schema you gave was not correct for my Citroen C1 II (it might be cuz it's not the exact same model as Toyota Aygo; the Citroen C1 doesn't have cruiser) so I had to test the continuity for each pin lmao

For anyone interested, you have to re-pin as follow: PIN1 -> SW1, PIN2 -> SW2, PIN3 -> SWG, PIN11 -> HORN

All airbag plugs have a locking tab there is no "button" but it does need to be correctly seated, the SRS does a self test by measuring the resistance of the airbag circuits

pin outs are correct, the document shows a face on, connector view not the socket (or wire side of the plug) so the socket pinout is flipped, No Cruise on the 1.0, the Mk1 never had the speed limiter function either

1326622702_gen3ccconF5.jpg.c7f4ffec2ba0f32ae5dfd772f4e651d7.jpg

1458217824_mk3spiralpinout(Small).thumb.png.a4f71e5eb6cce365237039057db2751d.png

Edit, you may have flipped the airbag pin out as well, again the connector view is face on. And wired 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

All airbag plugs have a locking tab there is no "button" but it does need to be correctly seated, the SRS does a self test by measuring the resistance of the airbag circuits

pin outs are correct, the document shows a face on, connector view not the socket (or wire side of the plug) so the socket pinout is flipped, No Cruise on the 1.0, the Mk1 never had the speed limiter function either

1326622702_gen3ccconF5.jpg.c7f4ffec2ba0f32ae5dfd772f4e651d7.jpg

1458217824_mk3spiralpinout(Small).thumb.png.a4f71e5eb6cce365237039057db2751d.png

Edit, you may have flipped the airbag pin out as well, again the connector view is face on. And wired 3 and 4 instead of 1 and 2

Yes you are right about the pins, I studied the wrong side of it. Feel a lil dumb about it. Sorry and thank you.

While talking about the cruise, I knew that there was no cruise on the MK1, but I was talking about the clockspring which came from a C1 MK2, not an Aygo MK2. But still, you're right.

About the airbag, are the locking tabs preventing the airbag from connecting if they are not "locked", hence the flashing light on my dashboard ?

If yes, this would explain the flashing light on my dashboard since the wires are only soldered, resulting in the locking tabs not pressed (this time I'm sure that I did not flipped anything and they are soldered in good positions too).

Still waiting for the connector so we can sort this out though.

• Thanks 1

It's easy to misread, they swap between plug view and connector view, in place the connectors can be in any orientation differently - yes I have done it myself

10 hours ago, flash22 said:

It's easy to misread, they swap between plug view and connector view, in place the connectors can be in any orientation differently - yes I have done it myself

Yeah thats what I saw, do you have any idea about my question on the airbag connector ?

It's just a locking connector, the lock tab is just a mechanical lock it has nothing to do with the pins

the connector is JAE MX10

• 8 months later...

Hello from Greece. I have got all the parts in order to retrofit the MK2 Augo new steering Wheel to MK1. My car is also 2tronic and the new steering wheel has the paddles. Because I cant find any info on the web, can someone please inform me:

1. The pinout of the 12pin connector of the clock spring squib as it shows in the attached foto regarding the SW1, SW2, SWG and also the paddles shift.

My Android head unit has only Key1 and Key2. The SWG must be connected to any ground or to the ground of the head unit? Has anyone make the paddles retrofit?

I will appreciate any help. Thank you all in advance.

Clock Spring Squib.jpg