Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 mk4 - boot locking with remote

raf82

I have a 2017 Rav4 Mk4 Hybrid and one thing that is puzzling me.

It's to do with locking the boot with the wireless fob. 

I can unlock and open the power boot with a button on the wireless fob by holding it for approx 1sec. Using the boot button unlocks and opens only the boot. All other doors stay locked. 

The problem is that when I use the same button or the button on the boot lid to close the boot it closes it but doesn't lock it so anyone can open it. I tested it by carrying the wireless fob away from the car and the doors wouldn't open but to boot did. 

Does anyone know if it's possible to close and lock the boot using the remote fob? 

IMG_20210102_211559.jpg

IMG_20210102_211549.jpg

Strange - mine doesn't work in the manner you describe and is practically the same age as yours although it does have an alarm. ( I thought they all did ! )

The 'boot' button opens and closes the boot but does not unlock or lock the boot. As far as I am aware mine works exactly as described in the handbook:

To open the boot using the remote I first of all have to unlock the car using the unlock button. Only then will the boot button operate and open the boot - it does nothing if the car is locked - I have just been out ans checked to make sure.

Closing the boot using either the remote button or the close button does not lock the car or the boot, I then have to lock the car using the lock button.

At all times the doors and the boot unlock and lock at the same time, there is no separate operation.

I can't understand why yours works as it does and my only thinking is that there is something wrong with the wiring or it has been modified in some way to work the way it does.

Hope this helps

Unless there is a difference in Toyota Ireland specs compared to Toyota GB specs - each importer decides on what specs they sell and what features each spec has.

5 hours ago, Peterd23 said:

Strange - mine doesn't work in the manner you describe and is practically the same age as yours although it does have an alarm. ( I thought they all did ! )

The 'boot' button opens and closes the boot but does not unlock or lock the boot. As far as I am aware mine works exactly as described in the handbook:

To open the boot using the remote I first of all have to unlock the car using the unlock button. Only then will the boot button operate and open the boot - it does nothing if the car is locked - I have just been out ans checked to make sure.

Closing the boot using either the remote button or the close button does not lock the car or the boot, I then have to lock the car using the lock button.

At all times the doors and the boot unlock and lock at the same time, there is no separate operation.

I can't understand why yours works as it does and my only thinking is that there is something wrong with the wiring or it has been modified in some way to work the way it does.

Hope this helps

Mine was exactly the same as you described but then I changed one setting via Techstream which separated the boot operation from all other doors.

Now if I press and hold the boot button on the key fob for 1sec the boot opens without unlocking any other doors. 

The problem is that when I press and hold the boot button again to close the boot it closes but it doesn't lock which leaves the boot open for anyone. 

Can you lock your car while the boot is still closing ? Mine just gives me a warning beep and I have to wait until the boot closes before I can lock the car. 

19 hours ago, raf82 said:

Can you lock your car while the boot is still closing ? Mine just gives me a warning beep and I have to wait until the boot closes before I can lock the car. 

No, I can't lock the car while the boot is closing, have to wait for boot to close. Maybe not ideal but hardly a big issue, after 3 years am used to it.