Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo 2009 9-10 quick knocking sounds from left front side of the car at cold start could be front drive axel issue?

Brapzky

Hi. I hope I'm not breaking any rules.. if so - please let me know.

I have an Aygo from 2009 which makes about 10 very quick, consecutive and relatively mild knocking/clunking sounds when I drive out of parking.

It doesn't matter if it's a straight road or not, or if I turn the wheel one way or the other.

The sound comes AFTER I have turned the steering wheel to neutral, and it only comes once after starting the car. 

It doesn't matter if the car is cold or hot. It's just that it comes after starting the car.

I've heard the sound even after the car is warm, but only after turning off and turning on the car again. 

From my understanding there's only electric power steering so it can't be cold power steering oil, which I had read some other forum posts suggest.

A nice lady in an Aygo Facebook group said she had the exact same sound in her car and she said it was the drive axel that was rusting, but it was a Golf, and the mechanic had to check under the cuff with his fingers.

I've had two different mechanics to look at it. The second mechanic checked the drive axel but not under any cuff, he only looked at it.

Anyone had the same problem and is relatively sure what it is?

The quick knocking/clunking sounds come after 9 seconds in the video.

Edited by Brapzky
Upon further listening it's actually about 10 knocking sounds and not 5-6

That's very odd, to me it sounds like the abs pump and/or the vacuum booster

scan the abs module for codes and check the wheel speed sensor readings

edit. find an empty space and do some slow full lock turns left to right if it's a bad cv joint you will hear it

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

That's very odd, to me it sounds like the abs pump and/or the vacuum booster

scan the abs module for codes and check the wheel speed sensor readings

Hey flash22, can that be done with an obd scanner? I've got an old obd scanner I haven't used since I bought it a few years ago from China.. 

Yes, if it is a very basic one it may not be able to read the codes from the abs module

Ok, apparently the one I've got is basic. Only the BlueDriver OBD2 scanner and more expensive scanners can read ABS information and it's 150 euros 😏

Hi flash22, I haven't had the chance to do the OBD ABS diagnosis but I read on many other posts around the internet that an ABS test when starting a car and driving a bit when steering is straight forward this kind of sound is pretty normal, and on some cars it's louder than others.

That was a Toyota Tundra forum.

But what really confuses me is why this doesn't happen on all Aygos..

I found this in the Aygo manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1218300/Toyota-Aygo.html?page=193&term=abs&selected=6#manual

Sounds and vibrations caused by the ABS, brake assist, VSC and TRC
systems
A sound may be heard from the engine compartment when the engine is
started or just after the vehicle begins to move. This sound does not indicate
that a malfunction has occurred in any of these systems.

Any of the following conditions may occur when the above systems are
operating. None of these indicates that a malfunction has occurred.
• Vibrations may be felt through the vehicle body and steering.
• A motor sound may be heard after the vehicle comes to a stop.
• The brake pedal may pulsate slightly after the ABS is activated.
• The brake pedal may move down slightly after the ABS is activated.

I also found this in a Nissan manual:

Multiple clunk noise and/or pedal pulsation that occurs only one time after the engine is started:

• This is a normal ABS Self Check noise. No service action is necessary.

• The vehicle’s ABS system performs a self check. On some models this self check occurs with the first application of the brakes after the engine is started. On other models the self check occurs the first time the vehicle reaches 5 mph after the engine is started.

And also this from another Nissan service bulletin: 

APPLIED VEHICLES: All Nissan Vehicles with ABS or ABS/VDC SERVICE INFORMATION If you identify: • Clicking, knocking, clunking, buzzing, or thumping noise coming from the engine compartment area. And:

• The noise occurs only once per ignition cycle (ignition OFF > ON) and does not occur again until the ignition is cycled. And:

• The noise happens briefly for only a few seconds on acceleration, between 5 and 30 MPH; depending on vehicle model and year.

The above condition is normal, may be louder if the vehicle has not been operated for a prolonged period of time, and does not need repair.

And more here from just googling around: 

The same noise/ABS check was felt. A lot of other makes/model forums seem to have discussed this, but it doesn't appear to be noticeable on all cars, even of same make a model. It probably depends very much how quick you pull away after starting, as to how noticeable the noise becomes.

I'm going to test this last part, but I am getting increasingly sure it's just a normal ABS Self Check test because it's been the same for 3 years and the car has been through a lot without anything happening, and also the fact that two mechanics have checked the most vital parts of the car.