Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 MK4 2017 - do I have an alarm ?

raf82

This will sound like a silly question but I don't know how to figure it out myself.

Do I have an alarm in my Rav ? 

I got the car (MK4 2017 Hybrid) 3 months ago and I always thought it doesn't have an alarm until this weekend when I went to install a car audio amplifier and found the 2 black boxes connected behind the glovebox. As far as I can see they are connected. See photo below.

What is it ? It says 'alarm systems' on both of them so I'm guessing it's a car alarm.

Btw, I don't have the tiny sensors on the pilars. 

I connected the car viaTechstream and in security customisations I have 2 options for slide roof, both options seem to be activated. 

I don't have a panoramic nor sunroof so I'm really puzzled. 

IMG_20210103_204038.jpg

IMG_20210103_192043.jpg

IMG_20210103_193454.jpg

Can help with the alarm but it looks aftermarket to me. Where did you take the power from for your amp? Thanks

1 minute ago, satts67 said:

Can help with the alarm but it looks aftermarket to me. Where did you take the power from for your amp? Thanks

Yes it looks aftermarket. I contacted a company that installs alarms and they suspect these can be for parking sensors. I don't have the knowledge or experience to check it. 

For the amp power I connected to the constant 12v going to the head unit. I used ignition on 12v for amp remote on function. 

Easiest method that I can think of is to open the front windows while the car is unlocked. Lock the car but only press the button once so it doesn't deadlock then reach in and open a front door using the inside handle. If all is quiet you don't have an alarm - if all hell breaks loose you have !!

18 minutes ago, satts67 said:

Thanks what amplifier did you buy?

I got Alpine KTA-450. 

Small but powerful enough. 

It fits nicely in the glove box. 

4 hours ago, Peterd23 said:

Easiest method that I can think of is to open the front windows while the car is unlocked. Lock the car but only press the button once so it doesn't deadlock then reach in and open a front door using the inside handle. If all is quiet you don't have an alarm - if all hell breaks loose you have !!

Thanks, I tried that method, tested it and nothing happened. 

No alarm then unless I have it and its somehow deactivated or faulty. 

There are no stickers on the car, no led blinking, no extra switches/buttons anywhere that would suggest that I have an alarm. It's just these 2 black boxes with 'alarm systems' written on them that got me thinking. 

On 1/4/2021 at 11:21 PM, _dct_ said:

You can also check the vehicle specs as installed at factory: https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Euro5.aspx

Just need to input your VIN number.

Hi,

Thanks for providing that link.  However, when I went into the site and tried to register i got an error message "invalid email".  I used both a gmail.com and a ymail.com address but same result.  Wonder what I'm doing wrong  Any advice very welcome.  Thanks