Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sill rust

Merlin5

Hi guys and happy new year to you all.

In the summer I had some bodywork done on the Auris. The guy did a good job respraying various parts of the car including some rust on the sill at the rear of the passenger side. He did say at the time that rust might come back. Well it has. I called him and he said bring it in so he can look at it. He said if the rust has come back then the only way to stop it coming back is to replace the sill. Is that the only way and how much roughly would a new sill cost? 

20210103_135321.jpg

It’s the paint work that give up not the metal, IMO he didn’t make as good as the original rust protection and the metal was exposed to the salt and grid, Uk it’s insane how much salt been used on the roads most of the time without need, these destroyed the cars and roads surface. Here is the difference in the protection against stones that comes from the factory for reference, in you pictures is like almost nothing, my pictures shows thick soft layer before the paint. 

A817BD55-9986-4519-962B-BC2EF818C438.jpeg

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

It’s the paint work that give up not the metal, IMO he didn’t make as good as the original rust protection and the metal was exposed to the salt and grid, Uk it’s insane how much salt been used on the roads most of the time without need, these destroyed the cars and roads surface. Here is the difference in the protection against stones that comes from the factory for reference, in you pictures is like almost nothing, my pictures shows thick soft layer before the paint. 

A817BD55-9986-4519-962B-BC2EF818C438.jpeg

Hi Tony.  Yes, when I bought the car, it came with rust in the same area but they had done a repair job which although it didn't look good, you couldn't put your finger through the paint, it was solid. With this repair that my guy did, the paint has bubbled and I can put my finger through it.

If you're saying the sill doesn't need replacing, what would you recommend I ask my bodywork repair man to do to fix it? Is there some stuff he can put on before the paint? 

Hi, I can’t say what needs changing, but what I can see from the picture you shared is that the stone and grid protection is different from the original one, this is were needs to be addressed, plus of course A new sill if necessary, those only the guy who will work on the car can say it. Maybe seek another quote from different paint shop and see what they will say about it. 👍

• Thanks 1

Looking at your pictures I would say the sill needs replacing I would imagine you would be able to push a screwdriver through that rust.

you could get a quote to replace and weld in a section of the sill which would be a lot cheaper. If you get a new sill put on make sure they cut the old one off as I had a Vauxhall cavalier once which had the same problem and the body shop just stitched the new sill on top of the old one. 

on the bottom of the sill where it is welded to the floor pan are usually small narrow slots that allow any moisture to escape from inside the sills make sure these are clear also at least once a week give the car a good hoseing down underneath to remove as much salt as possible and don’t forget the wheel arches.

as to cost not sure probably around £250 to £300 to replace the sill.

• Thanks 1

normally when you see bubbles in a body panel its too late

this is rust that has worked its way from the inside to the outsie

the only way is to cut out the rusty area and replace with new metal

i would tell the bodyshop that you want the repair to be invisible

otherwise you may find plate welded on top of the existing cill and it will look awful

• Thanks 1

I struggled with rust issues on my old mazda 3. I was in a time struggle, so i had the guy do it without replacing the panel.

Clean until bare metal, treat the rust with some chemical, put some bondo, sand, prime and paint. The guy did a pretty good job on the painting wise, matched nearly perfect. However, first rain some 45 days after, and pop, bubbles started appearing like zits on a teenager.

There i was, going for it a 2nd time, bought the panels, and all, waited 2 weeks for the car, picked up the car, and the guy says, you know, your sills are rotten as hell. In a month the might start bubbling too, so yeah.

You never know what's underneath the paint, the car was pretty fun  to drive, and reliable, sadly it was really rust prone, they had bad protection from the factory.

As much as you are unlucky for having rust, you are lucky that it's in that spot, and the color is white, at least IMO.

If there are some holes in the sills, spray the inside with oil to slow down the rust, plenty of oil, if not, drill the holes.

After that get it sanded down to bare metal, put rust inhibitor, prime, paint, and put some sealant on top of it, preferably white color, tho you might get away with a black one, it wont ugly.

That's what i would do anyway.

Yes you can go with whole sill replacement, if you find it, it's a lot of time, and in the end, is it worth it? Rust always comes back.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice guys. Well it looks like I'll need to replace the sill from what you're saying and from what my repair guy said.  furtula, would the rust actually come back if the sill is replaced? 

the rust bubbles will only come back if all the rust hasn't been removed

or if the surrounding metal hasn't been treated with a rust inhibitor,

you can get a galv spray that can be used to protect hard to reach areas

https://www.toolstation.com/plastikote-cold-zinc-primer-spray-paint-400ml/p51601

the bodyshop will only know if a new sill is needed once they start cutting the rust out

• Thanks 1

Whatever you do, rust always comes back.

With a cheap fix, sanding down, bondo, rust inhibitor, primer, etc, up to 2 yrs at best.

With replacing the sill,  you might get up to 4 years of no spots.

This is from the words of 2 different guys i went to get my car fixed, one was my neighbor, other one was a local guy, since i moved, who deal in bodywork repair.

Yes he might cut out the metal, replace with good metal, but he welds it to the car, altering the metal at those points, and making it prone to rust. The metal has protective coating, but when he spot welds it, you cant reapply that protection on the inside parts.

If you are lucky, and the rust spot is only on that location, then i would definitely have it fixed properly.

If it comes to replacing the whole sill, or maybe even both, well, if the car is in that situation, then the whole bodywork might be not too far behind, and you might get bubbles on wheel arches for example, not worth the fix.

I don't remember if Auris has any holes, from where you can throw some flexible hose and spray the inside of the sills with some oil, but if possible, i would definitely do it.