Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I had the engine anomaly light come on on Saturday. It had come on before, run on two cylinders, I ordered NGK plugs, then it decided to run properly again. So second time I changed the plugs.....and it still misfired.

I did a quick check and it was the #3 coil.

Ordered a QH part (25€) which will arrive end of the week but as it's my only running car I got a used Denso coil (another 25€) as it's not a smart idea to run on 2 cylinders.

It immediately ran perfectly with the new/used coil but the anomaly light is still lit!

Does this need removing on a diagnostic suite or is there a sneaky workaround?

Oh yeah....check the plugs! I think they are the originals, 10 years and 135,000 km later. I wonder how many times the owner,(who had it from new) paid to have them changed?

What's the plug gap meant to be? These have to be 4mm +

DSC01432.JPG

DSC01433.JPG

You need to read the codes to find out what's stored, misfires are not always caused by plugs or coils

you could drive a bus through that gap, those plugs are (want for a technical description).................. shagged

Honestly i would put some Iridium plugs in the car they give a much cleaner spark (Denso IKH16TT)

Off the top of my head 1.1mm gap

edit. Here you go

K16HR-U11

Product specifications

Diam (mm)  - 14
Electrode 1 - Earthed Electrode
Electrode Gap (mm) - 1.1
Ground - Nickel
Hex mm - 16
Spec - Nickel
Terminal Shape - Solid
Thread Length (mm) - 26.5
  • Like 1
  • Devon Aygo changed the title to What plug gaps?

Toyota's recommended plug has moved on they now recommend Denso K20HR11 with a 1.0mm gap

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

Toyota's recommended plug has moved on they now recommend Denso K20HR11 with a 1.0mm gap

I forgot about that change the equivalent Iridium plugs are IKH20TT

It seems happy with it's new NGK plugs but I'm highly impressed that it was running well enough to give over 60 mpg on what has been politely referred to as 'totally shagged' plugs, a pretty accurate description.

In my many decades experience with IC engines I have never seen the like....it speaks volumes for Denso's quality.

60k miles or 100k km is about right for a set of plugs, the little 1KR engines take some abuse - let's just say some French drivers are a bit over enthusiastic  😉