Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What's the kWh consumption for Prius plug In Gen 2 in EV/pure electric mode?

HSDish

Don't know if You say like this in English but I hope You'll understand

What's the kWh consumption for Prius plug In Gen 2 in EV/pure electric mode?

That is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string?   But electricity consumption driving the gen2 PIP in EV mode is similar to the gen1 PIP.

The big diffence is when the heater is on.  The gen2 uses the heat pump (electric) the gen1 fires up the ICE.

The nice thing about the gen2 is the regenerative braking which seems to work at really low speeds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you’re asking about miles/k/Wh, I get between 3 and 4.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to both "johalareewi" and "RichSH" .

I’ve seen tests that says that, for example Hyundai IONOQ electric consumes about 14 kWh/100km ( Think it’s about 4.4384 mi/kWh ) average mixed driving.

Maybe it’s difficult to meassure Plug In’s like that ?

but...

I think something like this... i

If You charge the Prius gen 2 Plug In, full by cable from a socket/charge station and then drive, without ICE kicking in, untill the charged EV mode is empty, then You possibly could meassure consumed/used kWh

From memory, the traction Battery has a capacity of approx 8kKw. At the 3-4 miles per kWh I mentioned above gives a range of 24-32 miles depending, largely,on external temperature and speed. That’s exactly what I’ve experienced over the last 3 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HSDish said:

If You charge the Prius gen 2 Plug In, full by cable from a socket/charge station and then drive, without ICE kicking in, untill the charged EV mode is empty, then You possibly could meassure consumed/used kWh

You could but you would need to be on a test track under controlled conditions to get comparable results.  It is the same with the gen1 plugin. 

Generally i can get 25 to 28 miles from a full charge until EV mode drops out to HV mode even though the prius reckons it can do 35 miles when started up.  With the gen1 i could get between 9 and 12 miles (provided i stayed under 53mph, didn't accelerate quickly and didn't turn the heating on).

Like the gen1 PIP, the gen2 seems to exit EV mode when the HV Battery has about 1kW left (measured with hybrid assistant).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichSH said:

From memory, the traction battery has a capacity of approx 8kKw. At the 3-4 miles per kWh I mentioned above gives a range of 24-32 miles depending, largely,on external temperature and speed. That’s exactly what I’ve experienced over the last 3 years.

Thanks again.

Yes I think the traction Battery in Prius Plug In gen 2  capacity are 8.8 kWh ( the gen 1 are 4.4 kWh I think)

1 hour ago, johalareewi said:

You could but you would need to be on a test track under controlled conditions to get comparable results.  It is the same with the gen1 plugin. 

Generally i can get 25 to 28 miles from a full charge until EV mode drops out to HV mode even though the prius reckons it can do 35 miles when started up.  With the gen1 i could get between 9 and 12 miles (provided i stayed under 53mph, didn't accelerate quickly and didn't turn the heating on).

Like the gen1 PIP, the gen2 seems to exit EV mode when the HV battery has about 1kW left (measured with hybrid assistant).

Thanks again.

Did You measured the miles from the cars "clock" or with GPS or something else?

15 hours ago, HSDish said:

Thanks again.

Did You measured the miles from the cars "clock" or with GPS or something else?

The trip meter. I reset trip B each journey.  When i am on a long trip and going to use up all the EV mode i can see how far i have gone when the ICE kicks in.  I also have hybrid assistant running so i could use the hybrid reporter to double check.

Most of my trips are less than 25 miles these days so the ICE isn't getting a lot of use.

• Thanks 1

Annoyingly, there is just one mpKwh record on the MFD rather than the mutiple trip meters for mpg, and it only resets when you manually change it. It's therefore not as easy to track as mpg. It's probably also as questionable as the mpg readings in terms of accuracy.

I did a few experiments manually resetting before individual journeys. On a nice dry summer morning with no AC and perfect driving conditions, I averaged just over 6 mpKwh which took me nearly 38 miles on electric-only power. That doesn't add up - if I was really doing 6+ then I should have travelled well over 40 miles on the Battery capacity which offers somewhere around 7kWh actually usable. I presume the mpkWh reading is just as optimistic as the estimated electric range indicator which started at 42 miles that day. Most summer days I'd get 32-34 miles off the same indicated 42 max.

I haven't reset since the beginning of last year and my average is showing 4.3 mpkWh for the year. I think I'm currently down in the 2s for most journeys because of the persistent cold (0-2 degrees) and dragging wet roads. I'm lucky if I get 16-17 miles on electric and that's driving on the same journey, in the same economical manner, as I was when I achieved 38 miles. The laughable range estimator does drop in the winter but remains optimistic by about 10 miles each charge. Pre-heating when plugged in makes no appreciable difference to electric range, probably because I'm on a 3-pin charger so the heater may be draining the Battery faster than it is being charged. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot to both "johalareewi" and "Ten Ninety".

Very informative and usefull, to me.

I'm still thinking back and forward,  and back, and forward again 🙂 about swaping/ trade in my gen 1 for an gen 2

As an exercise, I fired up hybrid reporter for my last long trip where I left home with a full charge. 

You can see that I got 33km before the ICE kicked in and you can see the speeds I was doing in EV mode.

Screenshot_2021-01-10-13-09-22.png

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot!

That’s what I call  ”mixed driving” 😊  Helpfull.

Do You remember the outside temperature and the weather conditions that day?

Did You use a lot of AC and at which temperature?

Both heated front seats were on and so was the cabin heating at 18C (but not the rear passenger area).

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Both heated front seats were on and so was the cabin heating at 18C (but not the rear passenger area).

Thanks again.

9 hours ago, HSDish said:

Thanks again.

Hybrid reporter says outside temperature was 12C.  Can't remember what the weather was but being the uk it probably rained a bit. Hybrid reporter doesn't log the weather. 😞

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, johalareewi said:

Sorry, did you say cabin heating at 18C? I don't even go that low to cool down in the summer! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Different people likes different temperature, I personally set mine at 22C° all year around with ac on when needed in the hot days and the rest of the time just air from outside. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ten Ninety said:

Sorry, did you say cabin heating at 18C? I don't even go that low to cool down in the summer! 😁

Yes. Wife and I are comfortable at 18C to 20C so setting cabin temperature to 18C works for us (plus the heated seats).

For HSDish, here is the temperture chart from hybrid reporter for the start of the trip.

Screenshot_2021-01-15-12-29-06.png

• Thanks 1