Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Driver's side window making a scraping noise IQ2 2009 Model

EastLondonGuy

Hi,

I have an IQ 2 2009 model - my driver's side elec window is making a light scraping noise when going up and down.  I believe the rubbers have perished - but need advice on what to buy and how to fit.  Supple rubbers will make it back to normal as i believe the rubbers have hardened unless I am mistaken.  The current weather doesn't help either not to mention the vehicle is around 12 years of age.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Thanks!

Could try silicone spray in the window channel.

Try a bit of Autoglym vinyl and rubber care. For general cleaning I use their 'bumper care' on rubber. Once all the muck is off, (and you will see by the colour of your cloth), I then go to vinyl and rubber care for general maintenance. If they are perished and cracked, then they will probably be beyond saving. As Frostyballs advises, silicone spray is another option to stop the noise, but whether it will make the rubber supple again is another matter.

But the silicone spray will provide some lubrication for the window.

Hi guys

thanks. I will buy some autoglym vinyl and rubber care. Can you propose a silicone spray product please so I can order autoglym and the spray from the well known online service that represents a rainforest? How do I use the spray effectively - just need some tips. The rubbers aren’t cracked so I think these products should do the trick. Thanks again. 

I will let Frostyballs pass on his recommendations for such a product. My concerns about that would be any residue getting onto the glass affecting visibility. There are numerous manufacturers of silicon spray. That retailer who's name is the same as a rainforest has loads to choose from. Personally I'd get a can which allows a very fine application of it. Once those rubbers have been cleaned up and are kept clean, it just may do the trick and prevent them from splitting. Our car had been stood a while before we bought it and the rubbers were green with moss. A few coats of those cleaners brought them back to 'as new' condition and water beads and runs off them now with no problem.

Ok, I will wait for FrostyBalls to see what he says. Thank you Mick for your input. 

A can with straw (smart straw in the case of WD40) should enable one to carefully spray inside the vertical channel on the door that holds the glass. I've used this type of spray inside on the windows of previous cars and not had an issue with getting it on the glass. See https://www.amazon.co.uk/WD40D-N-A-WD-40-Silicone/dp/B006UCNI38/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1& and https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Silicone+spray+for+windows&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Thanks for your help guys - I shall make the investment into the silicon spray and autoglym product and add a few pounds to Jeff Bezos' fortune.  I am hoping I benefit from a smooth sliding driver's window that will be long lasting regardless of weather conditions. I shall keep you posted... 

As FB say a silcone lube or ptfe based one, ever hot soapy water does the trick sometimes

the problem is the passenger side window doesn't get as much use and the rubber goes sticky, a common issue on the IQ is the valeo window regulators fail due to this issue as such the regulator design has been changed

My passenger side is fine, appreciate your comment it doesn’t get used a lot.  I recall a couple of weeks ago when it rained, when putting the window to auto-up on the switch, it would go up and then down by 4”. When I do it again, it would go up and down by 4” until it closed up properly. That’s when I could start to hear the window not going smooth on the bottom rubber on my driver’s door, a light judder.  

It still could be a sticky rubber it will feel tacky to the touch or like blue tac

it may be worth popping the door card off and wiz the window up and down a few times and work some lube into the tracks and have a good listen to the motor and regulator (no grinding, popping or crunching)

Ok - that’s a good call. As owner of an IQ3 and IQ2, I’ve never had the pleasure to pop the door card off. Can you provide instructions please? I assume it will be a handful of screws and maybe some prising off - which I don’t particularly like but you may say it’s a piece of cake. Let me know. I will use the external spray clean method first before I do the surgery work. Await your response in case I get the urge to take the door card off. Thanks. 

Hi all, just to let you know, with 2 rounds of squirting silicone grease my window works a treat. Thanks for this!
The only thing now, when I wind it down, the bottom rubber that sits on the outer door scrapes the window and makes a droning vibration noise due to rubber against glass, albeit it's much smoother now with the one-touch up/down.  I haven't used the Autoglym vinyl rubber care product as it hasn't arrived yet; but I noticed the rubber is slightly twisted - in fact it's the same on both driver and passenger doors, the small twist.  Is it worth replacing or shall i give the Autoglym product a go when it turns up?  Thanks!

• Like 1

I'd give the Autoglym a chance, it may make the rubber a bit more supple once it's been cleaned up. You've already paid for it, it may do the job without paying out any more.

I sprayed my silicon down the sides. Didn’t bother with the top as the glass only slides up and down the sides. 
I took my window all the way down, you will see it go down slowish. Then spray the sides. Wipe off residue. Then do the one touch up. Then one touch down. Then lube up again, wipe residue, repeat one touch up and down. If you get it on the glass a bit just wipe off. All done!  Takes 2 min for driver side and passenger side. Now it works lovely. Hope that helps. 

• Like 1