Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla ignition on only

Chriss27

I went to start the car tonight as normal but just got the Ignition on message and could not take out of gear. The brake pedal felt different as well, it took about 8 attempts to get it to start. During process I opened and closed driver door, locked and unlocked the car so not sure what caused this or how I fixed it any ideas ?

It sounds like Battery related issue, low voltage, turn on the car and leave it in Ready mode for over an hour to recharge the 12v Battery, you can drive also around your area, either way the Battery needs some charge for sure if the car doesn’t get regular use. 

• Like 1

It gets used every day about 30 miles and been only sat on the driveway for a couple of hours. I was only putting it in the garage and this morning started no problem 

This is a bit of a long-shot; on a French hybrid forum, a new Corolla owner had vaguely similar weird problems - it turned out to be a not-fully-tightened Battery terminal, although the (French) dealership the car came from didn't find this fault until the owner suggested it that it might indeed be this.

Worth a look?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

It gets used every day about 30 miles and been only sat on the driveway for a couple of hours. I was only putting it in the garage and this morning started no problem 

Hm, brake pedal felt different says something then, perhaps with the electric brake pump or servo unit, if the pedal is not properly depress it’s basically same as you never touch it and the car will go into ACC mode, then after 8 times you have press the pedal it gets traveled further down to activate the switch and the car has started. Pedal travel or the switch needs to be checked too. 👍

• Like 1

Due a service soon so will get them to have a look

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Gerg said:

This is a bit of a long-shot; on a French hybrid forum, a new Corolla owner had vaguely similar weird problems - it turned out to be a not-fully-tightened battery terminal, although the (French) dealership the car came from didn't find this fault until the owner suggested it that it might indeed be this.

Worth a look?

Very likely, when disconnecting the negative terminal for carrying any work on the car then after connecting it and start the car always requires two attempts. Best op to check Battery terminals first and tight up if necessary, just a bit. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links