Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Roof rack

BRAD M

I have been after a rack/bars for a while, has anyone fitted one to their Aygo?.

Toyota don't recommend a Roof Rack for the second generation Aygo, and don't provide a weight limit for fitting one.

Too late Mike.

I ordered a Thule wing bar edge kit yesterday from The journey centre as they were £50+ cheaper than anyone else and it arrived this morning, they even added some extra matched alike locks for the bike carrier even though I haven't bought it from them.

I need to be able to take one pushbike of 11kg around with me, so I will get a bike carrier to match once I'm happy with the fit.

The Thule kit says Aygo 2014> max load 70kg, max recommend load 20kg and max speed 80mph.

I'll post a photo once I've done it unless it ends in disaster.

Hopefully its OK, I am dubious as the even the acorns falling from the Oak tree dented my roof within the first week I got it, so clearly the roof is made from the same gauge as recycled kitkat wrappers!.

• Like 1

Well, my reply was posted within an hour of the post being started. Anyway your risk.

• Like 2

It looks OK, and is pretty solid.

I'll put the bike on it next week and see how it goes.

4F7C1058-D6DD-4DDA-ACE9-F6F4CE93D96D.jpeg

0DD2BED2-9F87-4F0B-B7D1-D244EA9E1F56.jpeg

• 2 months later...

No real update as my bike was stolen, so waiting to replace it.

But I did put the carrier on the bars to see if it looked like it was going to be ridiculous, seems OK and clearance with the boot open.

The bike frame will be XL so we'll see.

1950DDD0-59DB-4002-9820-6F0103CAB00F.jpeg

2666ABA6-72BA-43D7-8245-0AA060610AE1.jpeg

It should be fine, the roof edges are pretty robust (so as to afford roll-over protection of the passenger cell) and that’s precisely where the load is applied rather than the actual roof panel.  Whilst it may not be officially sanctioned in a “I fitted a Roof Rack and put a 70kg pile of plywood on it which ripped my roof of at 79mph” fashion, I can’t see an aerodynamic bike causing much grief.

Well I took the new bike out on the Roof Rack, everything seemed ok.

So all good.

Thule wing bar edge kit and 598 bike carrier.

9D0B68F6-FBF7-4AC8-BF86-7DBFB99C2042.jpeg

C7172DB4-7E2B-4025-8D4E-D082ADF97A66.jpeg

On 1/8/2021 at 12:28 PM, BRAD M said:

Too late Mike.

I ordered a Thule wing bar edge kit yesterday from The journey centre as they were £50+ cheaper than anyone else and it arrived this morning, they even added some extra matched alike locks for the bike carrier even though I haven't bought it from them.

I need to be able to take one pushbike of 11kg around with me, so I will get a bike carrier to match once I'm happy with the fit.

The Thule kit says Aygo 2014> max load 70kg, max recommend load 20kg and max speed 80mph.

I'll post a photo once I've done it unless it ends in disaster.

Hopefully its OK, I am dubious as the even the acorns falling from the Oak tree dented my roof within the first week I got it, so clearly the roof is made from the same gauge as recycled kitkat wrappers!.

Max speed 60mph I think

• 1 year later...

Just for anyone stumbling across this, I fitted these same Thule bars to my 2014 Aygo years ago and have carried all sorts with no issues and regularly use a medium sized roof box. At most extreme I have transported a large 2 person canoe weighing about 40kg and 5m in length (yes it overhung a lot and I had to have all kinds of safety markers on it but it was technically road legal, just not the best idea) but I didn't do above about 55mph. However it worked fine in a pinch when I had no other way to transport it an hour and a half down the road.

No adverse affects on the car, no damage, still passes it's Toyota MOTs and services with flying colours.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I can confirm that I have had these roof bars on the car for years now without any issue.

Transport my bike with ease, my kayak looks ridiculous though, but apart from overhanging the rear, still no issues.

I definitely would not hesitate to recommend fitting them to another owner.

• Like 1