Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Space saver or can of gunk

mooreg05@gmail.com

Good afternoon all

I have just gotten a 2013 Rav4 which appears to have come with a can of gunk instead of a spare wheel.

Does anyone know if i can fit a spare wheel or space saver in the compartment under the boot floor?

There seems to be loads of information online but nothing really answers the question, also does anyone know if the fittings are in the floor to fit the retaining bolt.

Am i best to get a space saver if available from the local dealership or buy a complete third party kit from someone like www.thewheelshop.co.uk

Thanks in advance for any assistance on this one

G

With the can of gunk, check to see whether it has a use by date as some do.

Good call thanks, I had not realised they had a date on them.

I will check it in daylight tomorrow

Weird question, would anyone know if the spare wheel from a 2006 Honda CRV would fit a 2013 RAV?

I have a dead CRV in the driveway so just a thought 

My previous RAV4.4 was one of the first 13 plates which came with a space saver. Toyota stopped supplying a space saver for a period in 2013 but due to pressure from potential buyers they reintroduced them. 
A spacer saver will fit under the boot floor but a full size spare sticks out by about 2 inches. The cars supplied without a space saver were supplied without the wheel anchor

A member ? Parts King  ( apologies if this is not correct ) produced a list of the parts needed to fit a space saver to those vehicles with a can of gunk. See attached screen shot

8682918C-0562-419E-8D92-F1B67FE35296.jpeg

26 minutes ago, robo1 said:

My previous RAV4.4 was one of the first 13 plates which came with a space saver. Toyota stopped supplying a space saver for a period in 2013 but due to pressure from potential buyers they reintroduced them. 
A spacer saver will fit under the boot floor but a full size spare sticks out by about 2 inches. The cars supplied without a space saver were supplied without the wheel anchor

A member ? Parts King  ( apologies if this is not correct ) produced a list of the parts needed to fit a space saver to those vehicles with a can of gunk. See attached screen shot

8682918C-0562-419E-8D92-F1B67FE35296.jpeg

This was the thread ... 

• Like 1

Having a genuine spare, albeit a space saver, was a key plus point for me. There are three reasons why:-

1) I've been stuck for hours waiting for roadside support when a tyre was ripped open by a road defect, and in my experience the sealant only works in 50% of cases. When the recovery van arrived his solution was to have the tyre replaced from a local supplier but of course there wasn't one. Luckily he had a VAG group space saver on board so he was able to follow me home and retrieve his space saver leaving my car on an axle stand.

2) As mentioned above the fluid only stores for two years at best before it has to be renewed.

3) Finding the cause of deflation when you have no jack to free the wheel for examination is a nightmare.

• Like 1

Thanks philip for finding the thread. Tried searching for it but unable to find it.

Apologies to Devon  Argo who actually produced the list  

• Like 2

A spacesaver will fit fine under the cover. They (Toyota) go on about it not being secured etc so do not recommend it but if its under the cover I cant see it will ever come out unless the car has rolled over in which case I think there would be more pressing things to worry about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mooreg05@gmail.com said:

Almost certainly, yes - unhelpfully, they don't actually specify what wheel and tyre size they supply but I'd suspect that it would be right. The Toyota OEM space saver for the RAV 4.4 was a 17'' steel wheel with a 165/80 D17 tyre ...

• Like 1

As a side note I keep a 1.5t trolley jack with the space saver as well. There is enough room under the load cover. Scissor jacks are useless and actually dangerous if not used on a solid flat surface. Which lets face it if you are broken down somewhere with a flat there is a high probability it will be down a dark road somewhere in the middle of the night - you don't want to be pi$$ balling around with a scissor jack.

• Like 1