Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris TS rear seatbelt warning

awacs

Good day,

I want to ask about my Auris TS(2018). I had the rear seats warning beep, when I started to move the car and person was not belted on rear seats. This beeping stopped now. When I went to the service, they told me, that there is no such function in Auris and it should not beep, only when person unplugs during the drive.

Am I delusional, or the service is lying to me?

Thank you very much for help.

test it yourself

get some heavy bags of shopping or a toolbox and put them on the back seat and drive off

see if the buzzer sounds and then stops once the belt is in the buckle

the dealers dont always know best

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1.8 hybrid said:

test it yourself

get some heavy bags of shopping or a toolbox and put them on the back seat and drive off

see if the buzzer sounds and then stops once the belt is in the buckle

the dealers dont always know best

I did test it. I had my brother unbelted on the test drive at the airport (outside the traffic to be safe) and it didn't turn the sound on. I know it didn't turn it on.

The question is, if it should? The service told me, that Auris doesn't have this function and the buzzer sounds only when passanger on rear seats unplugs mid drive, not when the car starts to move with passenger unplugged from speed of 0.

I swear I remember it sounding even from speed of 0. So I want to be sure Auris does that before I go to service again.

From 2009, EU legislation only required a driver's seat to have an audible reminder if the driver's seat detected a driver and seat belt was not fastened.

EU legislation adopted from September 2019 required that for new vehicles:

1). front seat systems need to be able to detect a passenger sitting – and make an audible warning at the start of the journey if the belt is not attached.

2).  rear seats differ slightly in that the audible warning will only sound if a belt is unbuckled during the journey.

A majority of manufacturers adopted these measures well before they became a legal requirement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awacs said:

I did test it. I had my brother unbelted on the test drive at the airport (outside the traffic to be safe) and it didn't turn the sound on. I know it didn't turn it on.

The question is, if it should? The service told me, that Auris doesn't have this function and the buzzer sounds only when passanger on rear seats unplugs mid drive, not when the car starts to move with passenger unplugged from speed of 0.

I swear I remember it sounding even from speed of 0. So I want to be sure Auris does that before I go to service again.

Not sure about rear seats but front passenger seat if anyone is seating on without seatbelt and you start driving after you pass 5 mph the beeping starts for sure, it’s not only in middle of the journey. If you interested you can buy carista obd 2 scanner and using your phone you can check if you have any of these functions, disable or unable them to work as per your preferences, I personally disabled the passenger seat beeps as it’s very annoying. You can also get rid of reverse beeps too using same device. 👍

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

From 2009, EU legislation only required a driver's seat to have an audible reminder if the driver's seat detected a driver and seat belt was not fastened.

EU legislation adopted from September 2019 required that for new vehicles:

1). front seat systems need to be able to detect a passenger sitting – and make an audible warning at the start of the journey if the belt is not attached.

2).  rear seats differ slightly in that the audible warning will only sound if a belt is unbuckled during the journey.

A majority of manufacturers adopted these measures well before they became a legal requirement.

I see, so only when the belt is unbuckled during jorney. I have no idea what was beeping then.

I read a manual and it is confusing as hell. It says this:

Driver’s and passengers’ seat belt buzzer: The driver’s and passengers’ seat belt buzzer sounds to alert the driver and passengers that his or her seat belt is not fastened. The buzzer sounds for 30 seconds after the vehicle reaches a speed of at least 20 km/h (12 mph). Then, if the seat belt is still unfastened, the buzzer will sound in a different tone for 90 more seconds.

And this paragraph is reffered from both, front and rear passenger seats section.

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Not sure about rear seats but front passenger seat if anyone is seating on without seatbelt and you start driving after you pass 5 mph the beeping starts for sure, it’s not only in middle of the journey. If you interested you can buy carista obd 2 scanner and using your phone you can check if you have any of these functions, disable or unable them to work as per your preferences, I personally disabled the passenger seat beeps as it’s very annoying. You can also get rid of reverse beeps too using same device. 👍

Well, the car is in warranty, so I don't want to meddle with it. But yes, front seats work. I am really, really confused about rear, because I could swear they were beeping too. I don't need that function, but I am worried something happened in car and wanted to know what.

Not clear from your previous post as to whether your brother was unbelted when you started the journey or whether it was fastened at the start and he undid the belt when the car was travelling above 12mph.

It would make sense for you and your brother to retest - ie have your brother wear a rear seat belt at the start and unfasten it when the car is travelling above 12mph to see if the audible warning sounds then.

4 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not clear from your previous post as to whether your brother was unbelted when you started the journey or whether it was fastened at the start and he undid the belt when the car was travelling above 12mph.

It would make sense for you and your brother to retest - ie have your brother wear a rear seat belt at the start and unfasten it when the car is travelling above 12mph to see if the audible warning sounds then.

He was unbelted when the car started to move. When he unbuckles while driving the sound will turn on. That way it works, no problem there. 

Problem is, if it's supposed to sound when she car starts to move with person unbuckled. I remember it did it too. I even had to stop, because my grandmother couldn't buckle herself in the rear seat and the car didn't stop beeping until then. And it was from 0. But maybe I thought it was it, but it wasn't.

The rear seats do not have occupant detection, so they will not trigger if someone does not put their belt on. The warning logic is rear door opened, belt applied & car driven if after this a belt is removed whilst driving the alarm will sound.

There is however a known issue with rear belt buckles having a short circuit and triggering the alarm.

BO-0096T-1117

Subject: Rear seat belt warning light ON

Models: AURIS

Model codes: ADE186; NDE180; NRE180; NRE185; WWE185; ZRE185; ZWE186

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report rear seat beal warning light ON. During investigation have been noticed that the swtich tube can remain stuck in the webbing window. Webbing window position was not specified by drawing.

image.png.aebd126350697cbcd91dcbfdabc19b8f.png

PRODUCTION CHANGE Rear seat belt sewing position was specified in the drawing. New sewing position will allow to the cable to move more freely through webbing.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

The rear seats do not have occupant detection, so they will not trigger if someone does not put their belt on. The warning logic is rear door opened, belt applied & car driven if after this a belt is removed whilst driving the alarm will sound.

There is however a known issue with rear belt buckles having a short circuit and triggering the alarm.

BO-0096T-1117

Subject: Rear seat belt warning light ON

Models: AURIS

Model codes: ADE186; NDE180; NRE180; NRE185; WWE185; ZRE185; ZWE186

DESCRIPTION OF PHENOMENON Some customers may experience and report rear seat beal warning light ON. During investigation have been noticed that the swtich tube can remain stuck in the webbing window. Webbing window position was not specified by drawing.

image.png.aebd126350697cbcd91dcbfdabc19b8f.png

PRODUCTION CHANGE Rear seat belt sewing position was specified in the drawing. New sewing position will allow to the cable to move more freely through webbing.

Ah, ok. It is weird, If I didn't have to stop the car to help her buckle up and stop the alarm, I wouldn't even think about it.

Everytime I start the car, the icons on the right of radio scree lit up red
image.thumb.png.6fca5c9d20f7f9254e3216a2cb8e93bf.png

Even if I was alone in the car. They were red and on for few seconds (like around 30s, or so) and then turned off. Then, one day, by itself they stopped doing that and Passenger Airbag 2 off lit up by itself. It lit both with Passenger Airbag on, which was weird to me. And that's the time I found out the sensors in rear stopped beeping.
 image.png.cbb08befccfe17f153b169509d5d3474.png

I am like totally confused with my car right now.

But thank you, I will try to live with it. It was probably nothing.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links