Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Yaris - Coolant query

Mikw

Proud owner of a new Yaris here.

Just a quick question, i was checking fluid levels today, but couldn't find the engine coolant, where i thought it would be it said "Inverter coolant" on the plastic tank.

Couldn't find the engine coolant reservoir at all.

I presume it has one?

28 minutes ago, Mikw said:

Proud owner of a new Yaris here.

Just a quick question, i was checking fluid levels today, but couldn't find the engine coolant, where i thought it would be it said "Inverter coolant" on the plastic tank.

Couldn't find the engine coolant reservoir at all.

I presume it has one?

What does your Handbook say Michael ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, john p williams said:

What does your Handbook say Michael ?

I don't know, i've temporarily mislaid it like an idiot!lol.

You can download a digital version of the owners manual either using your VIN or by doing a generic search, from My Toyota.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

You can download a digital version of the owners manual either using your VIN or by doing a generic search, from My Toyota.

Thanks.

I was under the impression that Toyota Hybrids have both invertor coolant and engine coolant reservoirs, but had a good poke around the engine compartment today and really couldn't find the engine coolant one.

You have a radiator cap which means you fill up from there and needs to be full, only check before drive away on cold car. And if this is the case and there is no dedicated engine coolant reservoir it’s very likely to have shared same reservoir with the inverter coolant. To confirm that, try to follow if there are any small rubber tube coming out from radiator towards the reservoir you have. 
Regards 

F9618D09-106D-447D-A4CA-7FAC169CE0FF.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 8:52 AM, TonyHSD said:

You have a radiator cap which means you fill up from there and needs to be full, only check before drive away on cold car. And if this is the case and there is no dedicated engine coolant reservoir it’s very likely to have shared same reservoir with the inverter coolant. To confirm that, try to follow if there are any small rubber tube coming out from radiator towards the reservoir you have. 
Regards 

F9618D09-106D-447D-A4CA-7FAC169CE0FF.jpeg

I'm not very technical at all, but i think you're right. Definitely seems to be two tubes coming off the invertor coolant reservoir, and one seems to the radiator.

Page 330 of the full owner's manual refers to checking coolant.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mikw said:

I'm not very technical at all, but i think you're right. Definitely seems to be two tubes coming off the invertor coolant reservoir, and one seems to the radiator.

Well, in this case seems like Toyota has decided to use one reservoir for both systems, keep an eye on the reservoir level and if need you can top up with original Toyota long life coolant, ready mixed best. 👍

• Like 1

I have a Launch Edition Yaris and can confirm that to the right of the radiator, there is an expansion reservoir with high, low and middle marks.  How anyone can actually see the level is beyond me but the manual cites the level as being correct if between the high and low marks; and if low (you would never see it!) fill to the Full mark (all actions when cold).

I have just joined and hope this helps.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 11:40 AM, Scorpio58 said:

I have a Launch Edition Yaris and can confirm that to the right of the radiator, there is an expansion reservoir with high, low and middle marks.  How anyone can actually see the level is beyond me but the manual cites the level as being correct if between the high and low marks; and if low (you would never see it!) fill to the Full mark (all actions when cold).

I have just joined and hope this helps.

Bob

Thank you! Yes, you are right, there is an expansion reservoir where you say it is.

However, as you also say, it's impossible to see the level!