Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

LPG Conversion on T27 1.8 (go or no go?)

DanFen

Hello everyone, hope you've all started 2021 on a good note.

I'm considering installing an LPG system, as this has an affect on the license fees and naturally the fuel costs. I've mostly read good reviews about vehicles being converted to LPG, and good reviews about the installer I'm looking into. However one of my friends is suggesting against it as it will corrode the metal over time, causing issues in the long run.

Installer said he uses these brands for Avensis:

ECU - Zenit
Injectors - Hercules
Reducer - Tomasetto or Magic
Multivalve and filler - Tomasetto

I'm not sure about this, so I'm wondering if there's anyone here who has the system and perhaps is able to provide feedback.

Thanks!

Hello. I have 1.8 valvematic avensis 2009 and i have converted it to lpg. Not too many km so far. about 20.000 km but the engine is ok. My installer used an complete Lovato LPG kit  and never had a problem with it. i have it since 2018. My fuel consumption is about 270km with an 30l tank. Best of luck

9 minutes ago, Floryn said:

Hello. I have 1.8 valvematic avensis 2009 and i have converted it to lpg. Not too many km so far. about 20.000 km but the engine is ok. My installer used an complete Lovato LPG kit  and never had a problem with it. i have it since 2018. My fuel consumption is about 270km with an 30l tank. Best of luck

Thanks for the feedback 🙂 My consumption is ~ 7.6l/km

38 minutes ago, DanFen said:

Thanks for the feedback 🙂 My consumption is ~ 7.6l/km

No point imo unless you do crazy high mileage, your consumption 7.6/100 against 11.1/100 of his car. You can do the maths how many km need to get the money back from the investment. 👍

54 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

No point imo unless you do crazy high mileage, your consumption 7.6/100 against 11.1/100 of his car. You can do the maths how many km need to get the money back from the investment. 👍

Cost for the system = €1,200 - €200 (or €400 soon) government rebate = €1,000
Cost of Unleaded Petrol = €1.34
Cost of LPG = €0.67 (exactly half to petrol)

Average expenditure per year on Petrol = €1,200
Average expenditure per year on LPG = €600

(We pay the license based on C02 and increasing per year)
C02 emissions on Petrol = 153g/km
Year 10 = €387 / Year 11 = €424 / Year 12 = €463 / Year 13 = €507 / Year 14+ = €556

10% less C02 emissions on LPG = 137.7g/km
Year 10 = €262 / Year 11 = €286 / Year 12 = €312 / Year 13 = €342 / Year 14+ = €374

Savings calculator (average, and considering current prices for both petrol and lpg)
Savings 2021: €600 (fuel) + €125 (license) = €725
Savings 2022: €600 (fuel) + €138 (license) = €738
Savings 2023: €600 (fuel) + €151 (license) = €751
Savings 2024: €600 (fuel) + €165 (license) = €765
Savings 2025+: €600 (fuel) + €182 (license) = €782

According to the calculations, ROI would be in approximately 1.5 years

• Thanks 1

Hi. I live in Romania and the cost of my lpg conversion was 600 euro with an 32l tank. I drove 20.000 km so far so i have recoverd the investment. But if your gov gives you a rebate its even better. In my country doesnt matter if you have lpg. no refund here

1 minute ago, Floryn said:

Hi. I live in Romania and the cost of my lpg conversion was 600 euro with an 32l tank. I drove 20.000 km so far so i have recoverd the investment. But if your gov gives you a rebate its even better. In my country doesnt matter if you have lpg. no refund here

Do you have any feedback about performance or perhaps mechanical issues due to the conversion? I'm mostly worried about the affects on the engine and mechanics.

Nothing so far! Basically i have converted my car within 1 month after purchase in nov 2018. It is my second car converted to lpg  so i am not woried about mecanical problems, from what i have heard it is important not to rev the car more than it is necesary when on lpg. You should be fine if you respect the gear shift indicator of the car ,this engine has the max tourque at 4000rpm so anything above that is useless. There is a power loss on lpg but not noticeble depends on what you expect from the car , anyhow the car does not seem to have 147 bhp

49 minutes ago, Floryn said:

Nothing so far! Basically i have converted my car within 1 month after purchase in nov 2018. It is my second car converted to lpg  so i am not woried about mecanical problems, from what i have heard it is important not to rev the car more than it is necesary when on lpg. You should be fine if you respect the gear shift indicator of the car ,this engine has the max tourque at 4000rpm so anything above that is useless. There is a power loss on lpg but not noticeble depends on what you expect from the car , anyhow the car does not seem to have 147 bhp

I usually run it in eco mode, and only in very few cases I'm switching to sports mode. I am told that you can switch from gas to petrol on the fly.

The car starts on petrol and when the engine reaches a certain temp (40-60) switches to gas automaticly. You can also switch to petrol any time with the switch from inside the car. In the picture below you will see the vaporiser and the switch

20210120_134316~2(1).jpg

20210120_134403(1).jpg

20210121_105012_HDR(1).jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Floryn said:

The car starts on petrol and when the engine reaches a certain temp (40-60) switches to gas automaticly. You can also switch to petrol any time with the switch from inside the car. In the picture below you will see the vaporiser and the switch

Thanks 🙂
Then it makes sense to switch to petrol if you need the full 147hp or switching to sports mode.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links