Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyres 2008 rav AT

Helpneeded

Hi  acquiring a rav, I live up a track  so in need of decent tyres any recommendations

I’ve always fancied bfgoodrich tyres but have read very noisy for the rav on the road

appreciate any advice, 

A 2008 RAV will be a 4.3, and like all RAVs is a "soft roader" rather than true off-roader. All Terrain tyres don't really suit the car in it normal habitat and we've had a number of members who've tried ATs and then replaced them with something more comfortable.

OEM tyres on a 4.3 tend to be Bridgestone Dueler H/Ts - the so called Highway / Terrain tyres better suit the car. They tend to have M&S markings and are well suited to getting up a track. That said, the Bridgestone Duelers aren't exactly that popular on here either as they are not the quietest of tyres on UK A roads and motorways.

Probably of more importance to someone up in Berwickshire is to fit tyres that are appropriate to the weather you get, and the number of miles you will need to do in the winter. All season SUV tyres - so winter certified tyres with 3PMS symbol - would be my choice. I run Michelin Cross Climates here in Wales - these have both a summer and a road bias. But there are other all season tyres available depending on the size required by your RAV - 4.3s come on 17" or 18" wheels and the tyre choice varies accordingly. If we had more snow and ice and longer winters I'd be looking at something like the Nokian Weatherproofs. You can, of course, opt for separate summer and winter tyres but I doubt that Berwickshire is quite that far north ... 😉

My wife drives her RAV T180 down country lanes quite a lot. They are often rather muddy and frequently not gritted in the winter. I fitted a set of Vredestein Quatrac 5 on the car last year. They are an all season tyre. Great tyres.

• Like 1

All season standard tyres in your size XL version might suit you best. Anything like make and models that are within your budget. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have Michelin x climates fitted to my Rav, highly recommend, been brilliant with all the snow we've had, excellent in the wet and dry as well.

Live up in Scotland and have Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season fitted on ours.

Seem good in all conditions, especially snow.

13 minutes ago, scotsstag said:

Live up in Scotland and have Continental Scorpion Verde All-Season fitted on ours.

Seem good in all conditions, especially snow.

That seems a reasonable choice - other than the fact that Scorpion Verde All-Seasons are Pirellis - still sound like a reasonable choice though ... 🙂

1 minute ago, philip42h said:

That seems a reasonable choice - other than the fact that Scorpion Verde All-Seasons are Pirellis - still sound like a reasonable choice though ... 🙂

Now corrected, thing is I even went outside and checked 😀