Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Recommended Posts

Hi Guys

Some good news for a change courtesy of Lincs Police

“5 men arrested & 2 cars  have been seized in the early hours of this morning in Holbeach.   This is in relation to our on-going inquiries into the thefts of catalytic convertors in the Holbeach and Spalding areas.  Any info, please give us a call on 101. “

ow.ly/ekd650D57J6

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Louie said:

 

Hi,

Call me sceptical,  was it worth arresting them ?  expect they will already be back out on the streets nicking more  Cats !

What do they have to worry about even if convicted, a couple of hundred pounds fines and some so call community service they never show up  for.

Hardly anywhere near the compensation needed for all the police and court time and the thousands it cost the motorists/insurers to replace the stolen cats.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Hi,

Call me sceptical,  was it worth arresting them ?  expect they will already be back out on the streets nicking more  Cats !

What do they have to worry about even if convicted, a couple of hundred pounds fines and some so call community service they never show up  for.

Hardly anywhere near the compensation needed for all the police and court time and the thousands it cost the motorists/insurers to replace the stolen cats.

So,what do you propose Old Codger ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good, hope they catch more. This business seems like it’s blooming right now since so many cars are parked on the streets and no one is even going near them for days/weeks . 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, john p williams said:

So,what do you propose Old Codger ?

Be more interesting to know what others would suggest, expect some would say its not really their fault , just a case of poor social support forcing them to turn to such methods to make end meet ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldcodger said:

Be more interesting to know what others would suggest, expect some would say its not really their fault , just a case of poor social support forcing them to turn to such methods to make end meet ?

I`ve been hearing that argument for 50 years Codge and it does not wash with me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it depends whether they are desperate thieves or professional ones.

Hope they get punished, the effect on owner's insurance - and cars - from this is staggering.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am truly amazed that we are discussing this its simply theft and its a crime so the guys responsible should be locked up end of.

On another note if Toyota fitted tilt sensors. it might put of the scallywags crawling underneath your pride and joy after they

have jacked it up. After all who wants to steal from a "shrieking"  vehicle i.e. providing Toyota change the alarm tone from a strangled

duck to something decent. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tilt sensor, no point at all. Even alarm it’s useless these days, thieves are so nasty they don’t care at all and no one even would like to intervene with them. And yes I agree, theft is theft and thieves should be locked fast and efficiently. 👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Tilt sensor, no point at all. Even alarm it’s useless these days, thieves are so nasty they don’t care at all and no one even would like to intervene with them. And yes I agree, theft is theft and thieves should be locked fast and efficiently. 👍

We don`t notice one armed cat/car thieves in Saudi, do we ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought scrap yards are required to inspect and log all receipts of scrap. Police regularly inspect these records I understood. Stops anonymous users of scrap yards and curbs outlets for cats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You may be right, but police dont have the time to do all they should. 

Its hard enough for them to catch a cup of coffee being taken on a picnic. (Sorry-couldnt help putting that, police do have a tough job but not enough of them).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

O dear, it gets worse, that should be “not enough police”, not “not enough tough jobs” 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites

A thread called "cat thieving" by a user called Catlover..  genuinely thought this was about something else and was wondering its relevance to Toyota Corollas

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sam, yes I am a cat lover, the mangy moggie types, those covered in fur that purr in you ear in the middle of the night when they decide they want attention.  Sadly where we live now we not allowed pets other then goldfish or a budgie I suppose. 
I also love cars and, more so, motorcycles. Had all sorts of cars, and a few vans, but since I would say 2012 we, the wife first of all, have moved over to Toyota, I got my first Toyota 2014, and in summer of 2017 I got our first Toyota Hybrid - a 2010 Auris hybrid which the wife now has. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Catlover said:

Hi Sam, yes I am a cat lover, the mangy moggie types, those covered in fur that purr in you ear in the middle of the night when they decide they want attention.  Sadly where we live now we not allowed pets other then goldfish or a budgie I suppose. 
I also love cars and, more so, motorcycles. Had all sorts of cars, and a few vans, but since I would say 2012 we, the wife first of all, have moved over to Toyota, I got my first Toyota 2014, and in summer of 2017 I got our first Toyota Hybrid - a 2010 Auris hybrid which the wife now has. 

I am also a fan of cats, our cat unfortunately died last year 😞

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catlover said:

Hi Sam, yes I am a cat lover, the mangy moggie types, those covered in fur that purr in you ear in the middle of the night when they decide they want attention.  Sadly where we live now we not allowed pets other then goldfish or a budgie I suppose. 
I also love cars and, more so, motorcycles. Had all sorts of cars, and a few vans, but since I would say 2012 we, the wife first of all, have moved over to Toyota, I got my first Toyota 2014, and in summer of 2017 I got our first Toyota Hybrid - a 2010 Auris hybrid which the wife now has. 

Our "Kinu" enjoying the fire in around 2012 and again in another house move in 2014. Sadly passed away around 2016.

Kitty.jpg

Kitty 2.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all

I'm a newbie to the forum, but I, too, have been moved to print by the seeming apathy on the part of Toyota to address the cat theft problem. I can quite understand that in the absence of some sort of nationwide recall, there is little that Toyota can (or want to) do; the company will simply rely on individuals losing their cat and then taking some sort of preventative action. This is a passive reaction - what's required is proactivity, however.

My wife's car was targeted earlier this week (second generation Auris): the thieves kindly left us the bolts that attach to one end of the cat. I've read many threads this week and looked at videos and even chatted to my sparky about the best solution. A plate (Catloc) seems the best bet since my local Toyota dealership (Motorline, Tunbridge Wells) know nothing about a tilt alarm. My sparky reckons on about £400 to do such an alarm job properly.

However, an important nugget of information for anyone else in my predicament. Having spoken to the makers of the Catloc (who do not supply the public), they confirmed to me that the fitting price should be standard wherever you go. Interesting! We sourced our Auris from Fish Brothers (Swindon) who charge £259 for the item. Motorline want £410.

Answers on a postcard, please...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brickus said:

Morning all

I'm a newbie to the forum, but I, too, have been moved to print by the seeming apathy on the part of Toyota to address the cat theft problem. I can quite understand that in the absence of some sort of nationwide recall, there is little that Toyota can (or want to) do; the company will simply rely on individuals losing their cat and then taking some sort of preventative action. This is a passive reaction - what's required is proactivity, however.

My wife's car was targeted earlier this week (second generation Auris): the thieves kindly left us the bolts that attach to one end of the cat. I've read many threads this week and looked at videos and even chatted to my sparky about the best solution. A plate (Catloc) seems the best bet since my local Toyota dealership (Motorline, Tunbridge Wells) know nothing about a tilt alarm. My sparky reckons on about £400 to do such an alarm job properly.

However, an important nugget of information for anyone else in my predicament. Having spoken to the makers of the Catloc (who do not supply the public), they confirmed to me that the fitting price should be standard wherever you go. Interesting! We sourced our Auris from Fish Brothers (Swindon) who charge £259 for the item. Motorline want £410.

Answers on a postcard, please...

Hi Alwyn and welcome to the forum. I have bought Toyota's from Fish Brothers Swindon and had service and recall work done there in the past. To me they are honest and reliable and I would highly recommend them on my personal experiences. Never used Motorline so cannot comment on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

An update on the earlier post. Not mentioned in my quotation from Motorline was the fact that the charge of £410 included fitting the tilt alarm. A phone call clarified this. Going rate for the Catloc is £250 so you shouldn't be paying any more. I gather that around 13,000 (yes, three zeros) have been fitted. An independent source recommends that the tilt alarm be passed over: the cover should do the trick.

Our lease expires later this year so the Corolla would seem the obvious replacement; however, this model doesn't appear to be immune from the problem, despite a repositioning of the cat. I expect Corolla owners can say more on this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brickus said:

I'm a newbie to the forum, but I, too, have been moved to print by the seeming apathy on the part of Toyota to address the cat theft problem. I can quite understand that in the absence of some sort of nationwide recall, there is little that Toyota can (or want to) do; the company will simply rely on individuals losing their cat and then taking some sort of preventative action. This is a passive reaction - what's required is proactivity, however.

Toyota reduced the cost of catalytic convertors for the affected models, got Catloc to design specific fitments of their theft deterrent device, and got Catloc to increase production substantially. Toyota reduced the amount of precious metals in the converters in their later models, making them less attractive to steal.

As regards recalls, the recall system in the UK is for safety related issues and catalytic converter theft isn't a safety issue. 

It isn't only certain Toyota models which are affected by cat theft - Honda, Audi, Mercedes, and others also have models which are being targeted.

Cat theft is an issue, but no more of an issue than those cars which are susceptible to theft through weaknesses in their smart entry systems, Fiestas and Corsas which are susceptible to having their complete front ends stolen(bonnet, wings, lights, bumper, valance, and so on) whilst parked, etc, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You cannot say only Toyota should be pro active cat thefts. The legal system to ensure whaht metal goes through scrap mercahnts is not being wholly followed, therefore the system gets abused. The police will say they are short staffed and cannot cover every aspect of what they should be doing, they concentrationg on what priorities thet have set.

And like FBalls says, cat theft is not just a Toyota thing, its every car that has a cat fitted, thats every car on the road since about 15 years ago, that iis vulnerable. The thiefs target hybrids because the precious metals inside the cat are cleaner because hybrid cars are running on electric a good percentage of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...