Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High fuel consumption - what else could it be

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hi All,

Since ownership of my 2008 Aygo 3 years ago I have always been disappointed re. Its high fuel consumption...to put it simple i have never achieved more than 250 miles on a full tank. Even with a heavy foot day in day out I'd expect more from this vehicle.

It has always been serviced yearly by me! Using parts only from my Toyota dealership.

Other than replacing brake discs and pads the car has been well behaved! Yes it had the boot leak issue easily fixed by replacing the high level brake light. 

Experienced a recent brake down involving us being towed home. Replaced the cam and crank sensor and all has been fine.

The car still drives and pulls like new. But I just can't seem to improve my mpg issue. Here is a list of what I have replaced on the car since ownership but has made no difference to the issue..

New catalytic converter

Both lambda sensors

New mid pipe and back box

Cam sensor

Crank sensor

Coolant temp sensor

Oil, sparks, air filter, oil filter

New Bosch s4 Battery

Genuine discs and pads

New tensioner and belt

New rear shock absorbers

Tried various petrol additives

No codes on my diagnostic tool

No info found using Techstream!

When I read of others achieving up to 400 miles on a full tank I cant help but wonder ..how do they do it?

I'm at the end now. I've filled up to a full tank as soon i hit 3 notches left and it costs me 30.00...I've done this 3 times in the last few weeks. I cant understand why its like this. Its costing me alot to run this car and its only a 3 cylinder less than 1L engine!

I'm seriously considering the Yaris next. I need a 5 door anyway rather my Aygo 3 door since the kids are growing up. As much as I love my Aygo she's costing me more than I'd like to spend. My friends tell me they're achieving 400 miles on their Yaris 1.3s....2012 to 2014 models.

Any input would be appreciated. My heart tells me it could be fuel pump related. Who knows!

So when do you fill up? When the low fuel light comes on? When the fuel gauge shows empty? Have you calculated the consumption using a brim to brim calculation, and, if so, what mpg are you getting?

Just done a quick calculation. Assuming petrol cost is £1.11 per litre, £30 equates to approx 27 litres. 27 litres converted to UK gallons is 5.939 gallons. 250 miles divided by 5.939 gallons = approx 42mpg.

Petrol at £1.16 per litre for the same 250 miles = approx 43.9mpg.

Also the 1.33 yaris has a larger fuel tank than your Aygo - 42 litres for the Yaris and 35 litres for your Aygo - and has a six speed gearbox as opposed to five speeds in yours. So there will be differences

You need to work out what fuel consumption you're getting using a brim to brim calculation, and then compare that to the same calculation for your friends Yaris's. 

Comparing how many miles a tankful gives isn't reliable.

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

So when do you fill up? When the low fuel light comes on? When the fuel gauge shows empty? Have you calculated the consumption using a brim to brim calculation, and, if so, what mpg are you getting?

Hi. Cheers for your input. Previously I'd fill up once I'm on the last notch indicator and it begins to bleep and flash. From that point I'd pay around about 43.00 for a full tank.

But recently I've been filling up to a full tank eventhough I have 3 notches left! Reason for this is with the lockdown situation I panic and think to myself.  Let me fill up incase something happens ill keep it topped up...so from 3 notches to full again im paying 32.00 approx.

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Just done a quick calculation. Assuming petrol cost is £1.11 per litre, £30 equates to approx 27 litres. 27 litres converted to UK gallons is 5.939 gallons. 250 miles divided by 5.939 gallons = approx 42mpg.

Petrol at £1.16 per litre for the same 250 miles = approx 43.9mpg.

Also the 1.33 yaris has a larger fuel tank than your Aygo - 42 litres for the Yaris and 35 litres for your Aygo - and has a six speed gearbox as opposed to five speeds in yours. So there will be differences

You need to work out what fuel consumption you're getting using a brim to brim calculation, and then compare that to the same calculation for your friends Yaris's. 

Comparing how many miles a tankful gives isn't reliable.

From what I recall brim to brim I normally get no more than I'd say 260 miles out of her.

There is something going on the consumption seems high to me too, what is the mileage of the car and why the catalytic converter been replaced? Has it been replaced with genuine one from Toyota or aftermarket? You actually have the whole exhaust system replaced? 

9 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

There is something going on the consumption seems high to me too, what is the mileage of the car and why the catalytic converter been replaced? Has it been replaced with genuine one from Toyota or aftermarket? You actually have the whole exhaust system replaced? 

Yup I agree, definitely and I doubt I'll ever get to the bottom of it. As I say she drives spot on. Mileage currently..67k.

Catalytic Converter replaced 2 years ago approx..if I recall we found a code relating to it...hence replaced with all original toyota parts brand new.

Recall replacing all the coil packs too around about the same time

What about the colder weather? It does affect a lot. If it’s poor consumption even in the warm months and you said you need a bigger car maybe just trade it in for a Yaris or whatever you like, not sure is there any point of changing parts of they are not worn out. I could think of brakes problems, maybe they need clean inland lubricating again, callipers and sliding pins, or something with the tank and you don’t get the right amount of fuel in . You do calculations on brim to brim and fill up on garage with level floor.

1 hour ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

From what I recall brim to brim I normally get no more than I'd say 260 miles out of her.

That doesn't tell us though what mpg you're actually getting. 

Ideally you need to fill up to the brim (first click on the fuel pump or whatever), run the car, then when you brim the car again, calculate the mpg using the mileage done since the last fill, and the cost and amount of the fuel put in. Do the calculation and that will provide more accurate info.

Also are your journeys urban, short journeys, etc?

New shoes ? Take the lead out of your current ones ? Change up earlier ? Does the engine use any oil ?

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

That doesn't tell us though what mpg you're actually getting. 

Ideally you need to fill up to the brim (first click on the fuel pump or whatever), run the car, then when you brim the car again, calculate the mpg using the mileage done since the last fill, and the cost and amount of the fuel put in. Do the calculation and that will provide more accurate info.

Also are your journeys urban, short journeys, etc?

Cheers guys...okay so I need to use up my current full tank...and then on the next fill up...fill to the brim...(when you say first click on the fuel pump or whatever..I assume you mean reset my trip counter?)...run car until last notch or so...refill to brim again...and then calculate the mpg...is that correct?

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

What about the colder weather? It does affect a lot. If it’s poor consumption even in the warm months and you said you need a bigger car maybe just trade it in for a Yaris or whatever you like, not sure is there any point of changing parts of they are not worn out. I could think of brakes problems, maybe they need clean inland lubricating again, callipers and sliding pins, or something with the tank and you don’t get the right amount of fuel in . You do calculations on brim to brim and fill up on garage with level floor.

True say. I expect cold weather to play a part but I'm saying that I get a standard 250 miles in summer and winter. 

However I agree. I think I've spent enough on this vehicle and eventhough I absolutely love her, she is mega adorable with the tte kit on, I need to accept that I need to let go and trade up to a 5dr yaris...more practical, spacious and fingers crossed more economical. Currently searching the trend models...like the white accents on the dash...at nearly 6k they aren't cheap in my opinion!

• Thanks 1

The first click on the fuel pump relates to the nozzle of the fuel pump at the petrol station. Once filled up, reset the trip meter. 

As regards swapping to the Yaris, bear in mind that the Yaris will be bigger and heavier, so it may be swings and roundabouts as regards benefits. Having a 20% larger tank will cost more to fill up, etc.

12 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The first click on the fuel pump relates to the nozzle of the fuel pump at the petrol station. Once filled up, reset the trip meter. 

As regards swapping to the Yaris, bear in mind that the Yaris will be bigger and heavier, so it may be swings and roundabouts as regards benefits. Having a 20% larger tank will cost more to fill up, etc.

I agree re the yaris comments. I do need to factor those points in.

Apologies though I still don't quite understand what the 1st click on the pump is about though?

I usually just put the thing into my tank and start filling without counting the notches on the actual pump in my hand...I know it has markers on it...but never considered what they are for though!

• Like 1

The click is where the fuel pump shuts off. Usually you have a choice of stopping when the first click occurs or getting a bit more fuel in by repressing the pump lever.

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The click is where the fuel pump shuts off. Usually you have a choice of stopping when the first click occurs or getting a bit more fuel in by repressing the pump lever.

That’s right, I usually do when the pump clicks then I just continue to the near round numbers if it clicks at £24.55 then fill up till £25 . The difference is less than a litre. I did calculations and seems like his mpg is poor for sure. I may advice to fill up  full, drive only 50 miles and go back again at the same pump, same garage. Fill up again and take into account the amount from the pump let say 4ltr and divide by the mileage to get most accurate consumption possible., then compare with dash info. 👍 miscalculation can be also possible, what else can be then., 

Have you thought of getting Carb or Brake cleaner and clean the MAF sensor? Its what i do, and also to my other car! big difference!!

Cheers.

J

Think the actual consumption needs to be determined first.

6 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

I can't do that with my 2020 JBL. It peed fuel out of the filler!😯

whatever you do, don't clean your maf sensor with carb cleaner - use IPA, or electrical contact cleaner as it will leave no residue to cause issues, e.g.:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/lubricating-and-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-500ml-621335.html

1 hour ago, garethpaul said:

whatever you do, don't clean your maf sensor with carb cleaner - use IPA, or electrical contact cleaner as it will leave no residue to cause issues, e.g.:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/lubricating-and-penetrating-oil/halfords-electrical-contact-cleaner-500ml-621335.html

Cheers for this...just reserved some. After all I've spent on this car..whats another 2.99! Trade price btw lol

2 hours ago, - A - Go - said:

Have you thought of getting Carb or Brake cleaner and clean the MAF sensor? Its what i do, and also to my other car! big difference!!

Cheers.

J

Cheers ill try this but using the electrical cleaner to be safe. But please tell me...do I just remove the maf sensor...connected to the air filter box I assume...and spray it all down?

7 minutes ago, SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS said:

Cheers ill try this but using the electrical cleaner to be safe. But please tell me...do I just remove the maf sensor...connected to the air filter box I assume...and spray it all down?

Have a look at this video

Don't touch the little element and make sure it's completely dry before putting it back in.

I am convinced that a lot of it has to do with the person driving the car. I and my wife could be driving the same car (in this case Auris 1.2T) on the same stretch and I would get 7,1lit/100km in winter and she can only get 8lit/100km. I am in no hurry to get any where and she is always in a hurry to get some where. We have a son who has to over take every car on the road or he has failed miserably and guess what his fuel consumption is! Having said that there could be some individual differences due to tuning in each car.

• Like 1

what sort of trips are you using it for ?  2 miles at a time or further?

mine seems to do 56ish regardless ..maybe a little better if doing long motorway runs

as said fill until first click , set the trip meter and note the milage and litres used on the next fill ups